Mr.Beer Community
Nickfixit

American Noble Hops (YCH)

YCH is marketing what they call American Noble hops. These are low AA (1-3) pellets made from the leftover bits after making their cryo product.

THey are intended to impart the American flavors into beers that you would otherwise use Noble hops for.

So it is not a hop blast like for IPAs. It is a more subtle nuanced result.

Has anyone used these?

I got a 2 oz pkt intending to make a Space Dust clone, but I don't think they are up to it. I need T-90 pellets.

• Like 1

Side by side test  Am Noble and T-90

http://brulosophy.com/2018/10/08/standard-t90-pellets-vs-american-noble-hops-exbeeriment-results/

Varieties available

https://shop.yakimachief.com/hops/american-noble-hops.html

breakdown of pellet contents

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/2-Oz-American-Noble-Hops-Citra-Hop-Pellets-P4801.aspx

for comparison, regular T-90 

Acid Composition Breakdown
Alpha Acid: 11 – 14%
Beta Acid: 3.0 – 4.5%
Co-Humulone: 20 – 24%
Oil Composition Breakdown
Total Oils: 2.2 – 2.8 mL (per 100 grams)
Myrcene Oil: 60 – 65% (of total)
Humulene Oil: 7 – 13% (of total)
B-Pinene Oil: 0.7 – 1.0% (of total)
Caryophyllene Oil: 6 – 8% (of total)
Farnesene Oil: <1% (of total)
Linalool Oil: 0.6 – 0.9 % (of total)
Geraniol Oil: 0.3 – 0.5 % (of total

13 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

YCH is marketing what they call American Noble hops. These are low AA (1-3) pellets made from the leftover bits after making their cryo product.

THey are intended to impart the American flavors into beers that you would otherwise use Noble hops for.

Has anyone used these?

I got a 2 oz pkt intending to make a Space Dust clone, but I don't think they are up to it. I need T-90 pellets.

I remember hearing about this on the brewing networks “hop and brew school” podcast. Its hard to remember whats spoken about on what episode but maybe the hop format show or the hop oil fractions show talks about these. 

13 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Has anyone used these?

i don't about their american noble hops, but i just bought a bunch of their cryo hops for my next brew. I have used them for whirpooling, or hop stand after the boil, and they are incredible. if you don't want the hop bitterness, but more of the flavor/aroma, you should try them. here's an article that explains how to use them:

https://www.yakimachief.com/homebrewing-with-cryo-hops/

• Like 1

While not marketed as American noble, we have some citra debittered leaf at the brewery. Basically the same thing. I used it in a blonde ale for some low IBUs and a hint of citrus. We then added a medium roast coffee after fermentation. The coffee had notes of citrus as well. Combined these made what I think is a pretty darn good coffee blonde. 

• Like 2

What I read from it was that they suggest you can mix the cryo hops with the American Noble in varying proportions to customize the brew.

So it is like they have divided the hop cones into 2 parts with differing characters for additional brewing flexibility.

That is too complicated for me though.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:36 PM, Nickfixit said:

Has anyone used these?

Earlier this year they sent us a sampler box with 2 11# bags of these (not sure which exactly).  We have not used any as of yet. 

19 hours ago, kedogn said:

Earlier this year they sent us a sampler box with 2 11# bags of these (not sure which exactly).  We have not used any as of yet. 

Here is another product that could save you time in brewing - but mostly I expect if you used extract though. You still have to boil the grain some, even with this I think.  It comes with effective boil times of 5, 10, 15, 30, and 60-minute profiles.

https://www.steamhops.com/new-products/sampler

I am going to try the Citra American Noble I got in a Mr B American Ale I think or maybe a  Pilsner?