Mr.Beer Community
ewildcat7

sanitization for late addition

Hi gang

I made a recipe that calls for the addition of 2 tbsp of vanilla after fermenting for 7 days.  Can I boil the tablespoon to sterilize it?  Or do I have to mix up an extremely small batch of starsan?  Is there another method for sterilizing a single utensil?

1 hour ago, ewildcat7 said:

Hi gang

I made a recipe that calls for the addition of 2 tbsp of vanilla after fermenting for 7 days.  Can I boil the tablespoon to sterilize it?  Or do I have to mix up an extremely small batch of starsan?  Is there another method for sterilizing a single utensil?

Id just stick it in boiling water for a minute or five. Then wait for it to cool obviously eh?

• Like 1

Are you adding vanilla extract? If so, I would expect that it is fine (usually is in an alcohol base). A measuring spoon well washed in hot water or from the dishwasher should be OK. I would open the lid minimally,  just enough to slip the spoon in, then close right away. The risk of infection is low. If you are worried, boil as Creeps McLane suggested, but boiling such a small volume might prove difficult. Microwaving boiling such a small volume might turn it into a very viscus goop. Another approach might be to dilute the vanilla in a cup of water and boil that. 

1 hour ago, Brian N. said:

Are you adding vanilla extract? If so, I would expect that it is fine (usually is in an alcohol base). A measuring spoon well washed in hot water or from the dishwasher should be OK. I would open the lid minimally,  just enough to slip the spoon in, then close right away. The risk of infection is low. If you are worried, boil as Creeps McLane suggested, but boiling such a small volume might prove difficult. Microwaving boiling such a small volume might turn it into a very viscus goop. Another approach might be to dilute the vanilla in a cup of water and boil that. 

10 hours ago, ewildcat7 said:

Hi gang

See, are we talking about the “tablespoon” of vanilla, or the “tablespoon” itself. Im guessing any food product sold on the shelf should be “food grade” and free of bacteria. The tablespoon itself on the other hand, i would sanitize. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

See, are we talking about the “tablespoon” of vanilla, or the “tablespoon” itself. Im guessing any food product sold on the shelf should be “food grade” and free of bacteria. The tablespoon itself on the other hand, i would sanitize. 

I thought it was obvious you were talking about sanitizing the spoon. 

If nothing else, at least there is activity in the New Brewer thread.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the new brewers are on Facebook, based on the posts there are a lot which is good for Mr. B. 😄

Does that mean we are old brewers here? Well I know I am lol.

26 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I think the new brewers are on Facebook, based on the posts there are a lot which is good for Mr. B. 😄

Does that mean we are old brewers here? Well I know I am lol.

Ya I think all the new brewers are on FB. Mrb is recommending fermenting in the low 70’s which goes against what I learned about mrb kits early on. I guess proof is in the results. Brewers seem to be happy with their beer. 

This is where a spray bottle of sanitizer comes in handy 🙂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, efdbrian said:

This is where a spray bottle of sanitizer comes in handy 🙂

As long as it's sanitizer with a shelf life like StarSan.  Mr. Beer sanitizer should not be stored for more than one week in a bottle.

I wouldn't worry about a freshly washed measuring spoon, and you do not sanitize the vanilla.

I misunderstood - I thought it was odd to boil or sanitize the vanilla (guess my brain had a disconnect). Yea - clean the measuring spoon, and all is good.🙄

23 hours ago, Jdub said:

Ya I think all the new brewers are on FB. Mrb is recommending fermenting in the low 70’s which goes against what I learned about mrb kits early on. I guess proof is in the results. Brewers seem to be happy with their beer. 

Ashley says they have tested the recipes to validate their published process. They do ongoing quality control of the product - fermenting it in the office in Tucson.

• Like 1