Mr.Beer Community
Bonsai & Brew

Munster Altbier ūüéÉ

Here's what I've got so far based on very limited research:

Munster Altbier

2-gallon, Mash-in-Sack

Weyermann Pilsner, 2.2 lb.

Wheat (malted, or raw via cereal mash), 1.5 lb.

Weyermann Acidulated malt, 0.2 lb (late mash addition)

Weyermann Melanoidin, 0.18 lb.

Magnum FWH, 0.2 oz., 50 min.

Hallertau, 0.5 oz., 15 min.

Hallertau, 0.25 oz., 5 min.

Yeast nutrient

Safale (you guessed it) K-97, fermented cool

OG 1.053

IBU 30

SRM 6

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Let's brew the raw wheat version including both cereal- and step-mashes.

image.jpeg

Cereal mash 1.5 lbs of double-milled raw wheat.  Steep in 1 gallon of well water for 20 min. then bring to rolling boil to gelatinize the starches.  Boil 25-30 min.

• Like 1

What a sticky, gooey mess!  This is exactly what you want to add to the main mash to hit the first step, 134 F.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

While waiting for the protein rest, this is the perfect time to enjoy a beer.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Who needs Hoegaarden when you can be enjoying a wonderful wit from Twocan Brewery?ūüćĽ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Haha, I recognize that Wit! Hope it met with your approval. I'm not a big wheat fan but I can drink Erdlinger Wit, and modeled this brew as close as I could get to theirs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cato said:

Haha, I recognize that Wit! Hope it met with your approval. I'm not a big wheat fan but I can drink Erdlinger Wit, and modeled this brew as close as I could get to theirs.

Well done!  That was a very easy-drinking and flavorful wit and thanks for sharing.:D

• Thanks 1

Just a couple more rests before mash-out:  about 20 min. @ 146 beta rest, then 20 min. @ 158 F for the alpha sacchs.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Just a couple more rests before mash-out:  about 20 min. @ 146 beta rest, then 20 min. @ 158 F for the alpha sacchs.

image.jpeg

I bet you got some sticky dough balls with that! Did you use any rice hulls?  That looks like a lot of work.

16 hours ago, Cato said:

I bet you got some sticky dough balls with that! Did you use any rice hulls?  That looks like a lot of work.

Surprisingly, once the cereal mash dilutes into the full mash, you will hardly notice any difference at all from using malted wheat.  I was able to lauter (per usual) using the sink rinse attachment and recovered my pre-boil volume with no trouble.  Of course with BIAB you can squeeze, strike, or otherwise manipulate your grain bag to get all those sugars, so a "stuck sparge" really doesn't come into play.

image.jpeg

As I'm brewing this in real time, I will spare everyone pictures of boiling wort.  Hop additions are as crafted with commando Magnum but hop-sacked Hallertau flavor/aroma additions.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Final brew day notes:  I added a little more than half a tsp lactic acid near the end of the boil to target a pH of 4.5.  OG was 1.053.  K-97 fermentation wasted no time taking off and it looks like I have made beer.

• Like 2

On Friday, November 08, 2019 at 9:11 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Who needs Hoegaarden when you can be enjoying a wonderful wit from Twocan Brewery?ūüćĽ

This has bothered me for a couple weeks. Maybe the others are just too polite to say anything. I think your pictures were uploaded in reverse order. That temperature looks more like your last sachrification rest... I feel better now. How'd that sample taste?

8 hours ago, D Kristof said:

This has bothered me for a couple weeks. Maybe the others are just too polite to say anything. I think your pictures were uploaded in reverse order. That temperature looks more like your last sachrification rest... I feel better now. How'd that sample taste?

Oops -- the perils of trying to brew, post, and drink in real time...   That mash pic is definitely out of order!

The chilled sample was delicious with some initial Pilsner/wheat sweetness, then balanced bitterness, and finished with some subtle sourness.  I'm encouraged so far!  Maybe Munster Alt will make a comeback as a historical style and take the craft beer world by storm.  (Of course, I thought the same thing about Dampfbier...):D

• Haha 1