Mr.Beer Community

Being in Canada, when I order a kit from bed Bath And beyond, I'm interested in knowing which kits I order will have more than just HME and yeast and sanitizer. Like carb drops, or booster.

Thanks

I'd compare what BB&B has to the kits on the MRB site to make sure you're getting what you're looking for.

The thing is, they say one thing, and the picture is another....

ie. "Includes:

• 1 can of Diablo IPA HME
  • 1 packet of dry brewing yeast (under lid of HME)
  • 1 packet of no-rinse cleanser"
  • ...however picture shows carb drops AND comes with carb drops

While others show exact same picture, (different HME), says same description.. but DOESN'T Infact come with carb drops.

104865143174508p.jpeg

103216947578531p.jpeg

2 hours ago, Cammanron said:

ie. "Includes:

While others show exact same picture, (different HME), says same description.. but DOESN'T Infact come with carb drops.

104865143174508p.jpeg

103216947578531p.jpeg

The MRB craft refills for those two HMEs come with carb drops but not booster. 

Their "regular" offerings (such as American Porter, St. Patrick's Stout, etc. ) do not come with carb drops.  But the standard refill does come with booster and the deluxe refill comes with two packets of LME.

Nope, the Diablo kit came with carb drops but the Long Play did NOT.

This is something from Mr.Beer, as I'm quite sure that BBaB don't put the kits together.

13 minutes ago, Cammanron said:

Nope, the Diablo kit came with carb drops but the Long Play did NOT.

This is something from Mr.Beer, as I'm quite sure that BBaB don't put the kits together.

Weird; that's the only LP refill available on the MRB website.  Either they do something different for Canada or someone stole or misplaced the carb drops.

4 hours ago, Cammanron said:

ie. "Includes:

104865143174508p.jpeg

103216947578531p.jpeg

I wouldn't worry about the carb drops, just get a box of domino sugar dots and add one per 12oz of beer and you'll be on the money with carbing.

• Like 1

I have never seen domino dots here in Canada.... Regular sugar cubes are too big to fit in the bottles

@Cammanron no worries. i would just use table sugar then. 1/2 tsp for every 12 oz. i have a little funnel that i use, or you can make one out of paper or something like that.

• Like 3

@Cammanron as @Jdub said, I wouldn’t worry about carb drops. They will add too much carbonation to your beer anyway. 1/2tsp per 12oz bottle is the better way to go. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

@Cammanron as @Jdub said, I wouldn’t worry about carb drops. They will add too much carbonation to your beer anyway. 1/2tsp per 12oz bottle is the better way to go. 

I use Domino sugar dots. 1 dot = 1/2 tsp, 198 to the 1 lb. box. They fit into the bottles nicely and no measuring or spillage 😄

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I use Domino sugar dots. 1 dot = 1/2 tsp, 198 to the 1 lb. box. They fit into the bottles nicely and no measuring or spillage 😄

Seconded.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

OP has noted that dots are not available in Canada...

No, he said he hasn't seen them there.

12 minutes ago, Shrike said:

No, he said he hasn't seen them there.

Do a Google search and you'll find they aren't available in Canada.  

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Do a Google search and you'll find they aren't available in Canada.  

Why?  I'm not the one looking for them.  I was simply pointing out that your statement was wrong.

On 11/18/2019 at 7:14 AM, RickBeer said:

OP has noted that dots are not available in Canada...

Hmm surely with the British connection sugar lumps are available?

Walmart in Canada has  Redpath sugar cubes, but I am not sure how big they are. They even come in Turbinado! Oh they are 144 per 500g box so 3.5 gm each not 2.5 g. Hmm they might not fit. Also Rogers - make cubes. The boxes are also 500g and look the same shape so probably the same. I also a while back got a supermarket box of bigger cubes in USA so....

@cammanron

Have you tried ordering by mail from USA?

Normal sugar cubes don't fit.... and it wouldn't be with the trouble to order sugar cubes from the states, especially with the shipping charges.... 

I may just cross the border and get some myself one day, if I feel like it's worth it.

21 minutes ago, Cammanron said:

Normal sugar cubes don't fit.... and it wouldn't be with the trouble to order sugar cubes from the states, especially with the shipping charges.... 

I may just cross the border and get some myself one day, if I feel like it's worth it.

do you have a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon? there is nothing special about the cubes other than convenience. so easy just to measure table sugar and put it in your bottle.

Oh yeah.... I've done the regular sugar before. The carb drops are real convenient tho. I was at a brewing supply store  the other day, and I saw he was selling generic carb drops. Smaller than the Mr Beer ones... Sorta looked like bigger, fatter aspiring. I know that the drops are more money.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 9:03 PM, Cammanron said:

I have never seen domino dots here in Canada.... Regular sugar cubes are too big to fit in the bottles

Here ya go. Available in Canada online. These are like domino sugar dots 1/2 tsp.

image.jpeg.7869ece010c042d8d0df7924436ea75b.jpeg
Lantic Sugar Cubes, White, 500g. > Cleaning & Breakroom. > Breakroom Supplies. > Coffee & Tea Supplies. > Cream, Sugar & Sweeteners. > Lantic Sugar Cubes, White, 500g.

Price

CA$2.69
  • Like 1

The link you gave says "Each cube is a perfectly portioned teaspoon of granulated sugar".. 

therefore they are too big to fit in the neck of bottles. 

i have already tried these exact brand of sugar cubes. 

thanks for trying everyone