- 1 lbs Amber dry malt extract

Hops

- 1 oz US Goldings (60 min)

- 1 oz Liberty (45 min)

- 1 oz Willamette (15 min)

Yeast

Danstar Windsor

• Like 4

Just a tip - I find, as do others, that Windsor yeast is awful.  Poor attenuation, and has horrible flocculation (beer is cloudy).  I just did a clone of MooseDrool, and it's got crap floating all over despite being cold crashed.  I'm going to look for something different in the future.

• Like 2

Just looked up Windsor low flocculation. Interesting that cold crashing did not help much.

• Like 1

I've made the Caribou Slobber from Northern Brewing. It was a little disappointing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Just a tip - I find, as do others, that Windsor yeast is awful.  Poor attenuation, and has horrible flocculation (beer is cloudy).  I just did a clone of MooseDrool, and it's got crap floating all over despite being cold crashed.  I'm going to look for something different in the future.

I have Nottingham, US-05, and Bry-97 on hand. Which one would you use?? 

7 hours ago, gophers6 said:

I've made the Caribou Slobber from Northern Brewing. It was a little disappointing.

What did you not like about it? What would you change?

@RickBeer, at the risk of embarrassing myself , prior to the sale of NB to Big Beer,haven't you already brewed this once or twice before?

1 hour ago, Stevo0083 said:

What did you not like about it? What would you change?

Taste was good but it had zero foam. Maybe try adding some Carapils or maybe even a little wheat malt.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, D Kristof said:

@RickBeer, at the risk of embarrassing myself , prior to the sale of NB to Big Beer,haven't you already brewed this once or twice before?

I have made this a few times, but I have never purchased anything from Northern Brewer.  MooseDrool is what everyone is copying, by Montana's Big Sky Brewing.  You can find clone recipes online.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

I have made this a few times, but I have never purchased anything from Northern Brewer.  MooseDrool is what everyone is copying, by Montana's Big Sky Brewing.  You can find clone recipes online.

Big beer doesn't own NB anymore.

42 minutes ago, Cato said:

Big beer doesn't own NB anymore.

Right.  Northern and Midwest are now again owned by a Private Equity company.  They were owned by one prior to selling to AB-InBev.

Talking of brown ales, The Mr. B Churchill's Nut Brown the are out of at Mr. Beer, but if you google it,  it looks like every mail order outlet has it, dept. stores etc.. They used to have it in stores but I think online now only. They have to be working with some common warehouse to ship them I would figure. I don't care as I have a few from Mr B's going out of stock sale, and I won't be brewing until new year for medical reasons, but I was surprised. 

How different is the Moose Drool? I don't think I ever had it.

Beyond being brown, they have little in common.

Nut Brown is an English Brown Ale.  Low malt flavor, low hop aroma, a little chocolate and nutty.  

Moose Drool is a chocolate, malty, sweet, brown.   

On 11/21/2019 at 8:22 PM, Stevo0083 said:

I have Nottingham, US-05, and Bry-97 on hand. Which one would you use?? 

Any yeast suggestion?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo0083 said:

Any yeast suggestion?

I haven't made it but from another forum the Wyeast 1332 West Coast yeast has given the best results. Your S-05, if you were going to use something on hand would be my choice if that's what I was limited too.

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with S-05, because it adds nothing to the beer.  I made it with Nottingham one time, and enjoyed it, but went back to Windsor because that's what is recommended. 

• Like 1

I liked the MB Nut Brown ale - I thought it was very good (but i can't remember if I added any malt or hops to the basic recipe). If I remember correctly. it was "lighter" (color and body) than expected, but the flavors were there. Last year I made an all grain version, which was really excellent. Not sure which yeast I used, but lately US-04 has been my favorite - just a good, all around ale yeast. YMMV

• Like 1

S-04 is good for an English brown, but not for Caribou Slobbers.  S-04 will leave some residual sweetness that S-05 would not.  

None of these suggestions - S04, S05, or Notty will really cause any issues.

• Like 1

I agree that US-05 is cleaner - but I like the sweet malty taste, and perhaps a hint of pepper

• Like 1