Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
pghFred

hop distribution

Greetings All! First time brewer here.

From reading the boards here, Mr Beer was a mighty popular Xmas gift!

I made the WCPA that came with the kit. I did add almost a cup of honey when preparing the wort and am really getting anxious about trying the first bottle. I bottled a week ago after 2 weeks in the keg. After reading some posts yesterday, I did put one bottle in the fridge this morning and think I'm going to crack it tomorrow night. I'm saving the remaining 7 for Super Bowl Sunday.

My question is regarding my second batch - Hop Head Red. I prepared according to the instructions but added all the hops (recipe called for 2/3 of package). What I'm worried about is the hop sack sitting in one spot in the keg. I'm guessing during fermentation there would be enough current to circulate and distribute the hop flavor through the keg, but what about after fermentation is complete? Will the hop sack remain in one place in the keg?

Should I gently stir a week prior to bottling? I want even distribution of the hop flavor and am worried that some bottles will lack a strong hop flavor and others may be too strong.

Or am I just over-thinking the matter?

That's why I don't use the sack. I just mix the pellets into the wort before pouring into the keg.
I would leave yours alone at this point.

I agree with gophers6 (on both points, really). I'm aware that those who use hop sacks are absolutely convinced that they're going to get a clogged spigot without them (and they seem to all have personal experience to prove it) so we'll all just have to do our own thing on that. But as to the distribution of hop flavors, I really can't imagine there will be any problem at all. The hop sack will be sitting in the fermenter for plenty of time to let all the hop flavors spread evenly. At least that's my bet.

The first time that I did not use a muslin sack was when I forgot to sanitize it. So, in the boil the hops went. Most of the particles seem to drop out of suspension by the time fermentation is complete.

I think bigdave3124 is right, in that the sack has plenty of time to let all the hops release the goodies. Sometimes fermentation creates a maelstrom of activity. Strong currents for hop distribution?

thanks all. i guess i was just overthinking it. i'll try not using the sack next time.

I've read on a couple of posts now that hops should be added AFTER the krausening. What is the reason for this? Are there any adverse effects to adding them at pitching time?

wondergut wrote:

I've read on a couple of posts now that hops should be added AFTER the krausening. What is the reason for this? Are there any adverse effects to adding them at pitching time?

you don't want to put the sack on top of the krausening... if yhe sack forces krausen back inti the beer... :X

so either put sack in right away or wait a few days... :)

you don't want to put the sack on top of the krausening... if yhe sack forces krausen back inti the beer...

Actually, the krausen falls back into the beer at the end of fermentation anyways, so that isn't really an issue (or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying).

The logic behind adding hops after fermentation goes like this:
as CO2 is produced by yeast, it bubbles through the beer, stripping volatile hop aromatics along the way. The end result is that you get slightly less out of your hops than you do if they are added after fermentation is complete.