Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Big Sarge

Water

So there I was, extremely bored at work today. I decided to do a deep dive into researching my water here in wonderful Oklahoma. This was the best I came up with. I've merely scratched the surface on messing with water profiles and the calculators are mandarin to me. 

What do I think? I should dilute with distilled water. Am I right? I defer to the experts. I'm not asking you to do work for me, just trying to make sense of this. I don't foresee my back 40 town producing a real time water profile for me, so I figured I'd seek advice before trying to dig deeper. 

image.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

So there I was, extremely bored at work today. I decided to do a deep dive into researching my water here in wonderful Oklahoma. This was the best I came up with. I've merely scratched the surface on messing with water profiles and the calculators are mandarin to me. 

What do I think? I should dilute with distilled water. Am I right? I defer to the experts. I'm not asking you to do work for me, just trying to make sense of this. I don't foresee my back 40 town producing a real time water profile for me, so I figured I'd seek advice before trying to dig deeper. 

image.jpeg

Where did you get the numbers from? 

your city should have a public water report. My citys told me everything but the bicarbonate 

1 hour ago, Big Sarge said:

image.jpeg

I'm no expert either but I let Beer Smith do the calcs for me. I had been using Deer Park Spring water as it was in their database, but recently started using the Virginia Beach water after I put in their water profile.

I do use a ph meter though to check the water ph and then the mash ph to make sure I'm adjusting correctly.

50 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Where did you get the numbers from? 

your city should have a public water report. My citys told me everything but the bicarbonate 

I got them from water reports online from the aquifer that supplies the well water. I could be wrong, but I imagine of I walked into city hall and asked about their water profile, they'd think I'm a terrorist. Those poor ladies that work as clerks there wouldn't know what to do. I just figured o could get close enough with some online research. I might have to go in and scare the blue haired beehives. 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Cato said:

I'm no expert either but I let Beer Smith do the calcs for me. I had been using Deer Park Spring water as it was in their database, but recently started using the Virginia Beach water after I put in their water profile.

I do use a ph meter though to check the water ph and then the mash ph to make sure I'm adjusting correctly.

Using the mobile app, I believe all I can do is put the numbers in. I haven't priced spring water options, as I'm just starting to figure this stuff out. Does my water work for making beer? Sure. I believe the mash ph turned out something like 5.4 when I was messing with the calculators. Optimal? Doubtful. I'm sure these numbers aren't very accurate. They differ from the first report I found online from years past. I'm pretty much still just researching for now. 

8 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

I got them from water reports online from the aquifer that supplies the well water. I could be wrong, but I imagine of I walked into city hall and asked about their water profile, they'd think I'm a terrorist. Those poor ladies that work as clerks there wouldn't know what to do. I just figured o could get close enough with some online research. I might have to go in and scare the blue haired beehives. 

I looked up my results and then verified through email with the city. Then a friend tested my water for me. Id go with the report but i dont know your water system. In places like cali it changes all the time

ive read about water profiles etc....it's way over my head. i use Kroger spring water and it tastes good to me. someone on another forum basically told me that i was doing it all wrong by using spring water, because i don't know every detail about it and that I should use RO or distilled water and build a profile from there. go figure.

image.thumb.png.ab13d7e59049eb93ca80c56a7f10f56f.png

this is my local tap water report but it's from 2018. isn't that pretty much worthless being 2 yrs old now?

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that's worthless. I can't say I fancy the ranges though. The report I referenced had a mean for each category. Not perfect, but a starting point. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I looked up my results and then verified through email with the city. Then a friend tested my water for me. Id go with the report but i dont know your water system. In places like cali it changes all the time

How exactly does a friend test water? You got people in high places?

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 9:10 PM, Jdub said:

image.thumb.png.ab13d7e59049eb93ca80c56a7f10f56f.png

this is my local tap water report but it's from 2018. isn't that pretty much worthless being 2 yrs old now?

Our local report has some lag to it as well, but that's okay it puts me close enough. However, they include an average for all the levels, which is helpful.

• Like 1

On Monday, December 30, 2019 at 6:56 PM, BDawg62 said:

I have a water test kit and test my water every 3 or 4 months. 

https://www.morebeer.com/products/lamotte-brewlab-basic-water-test-kit-718901.html?chan=dod

If I send a water sample to you would you return a report to me? LOL. Some of the reviews start off reading like slams against the level of accuracy, then they give it 4 or 5 stars out of 5. Not sure what to think.

• Like 1

I know the reviews are all over the place for this kit. I will say that I took my results to a local brewery and spoke with their head brewer who I know. We compared numbers with his $25 water test and they were within a range that he was very comfortable with. 

Yes, the send away test give you exact readings while this kit gives you accuracies to within 10ppm. This brewer told me that 10ppm is more than close enough. I know it has improved my brewing. 

• Thanks 1

So I attempted to contact my backwoods water department, to no avail. The best they could provide were the quality test reports showing they meet EPA regulations for arsenic and other radioactive stuff. 

I plan on cutting my mash/sparge water with a 50% dilution of distilled water to balance out the profile a little bit. With the levels I'm at, certain salt additions will drive up some of the levels that are too high (like magnesium). 

My beer is good, but I want to see if it could be better. And I'm doing a kolsch next, which would benefit from a solid water profile. I could build my water completely, but I'm not ready for that just yet. 

On Friday, January 03, 2020 at 12:58 PM, HoppySmile! said:

I’m fortunate to have powdered water, all I have to do is add water

My kit told me to add LME. Where'd you get yours?

44 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

So I attempted to contact my backwoods water department, to no avail. The best they could provide were the quality test reports showing they meet EPA regulations for arsenic and other radioactive stuff. 

I plan on cutting my mash/sparge water with a 50% dilution of distilled water to balance out the profile a little bit. With the levels I'm at, certain salt additions will drive up some of the levels that are too high (like magnesium). 

My beer is good, but I want to see if it could be better. And I'm doing a kolsch next, which would benefit from a solid water profile. I could build my water completely, but I'm not ready for that just yet. 

A guy at my LHBS demonstrated this calculator to me. Seemed simple enough. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/ez-water-calculator-3-0.261001/

45 minutes ago, D Kristof said:

A guy at my LHBS demonstrated this calculator to me. Seemed simple enough. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/ez-water-calculator-3-0.261001/

Yeah, I've been toying with that calculator. I've been trying to make adjustments to my current water, to defray the cost (a whopping 69 cents per gallon lol) and the headache SWMBO gives me in grief for loading up the shopping cart with distilled water lol. 

• Haha 1

I've been studying water and messing with all of the calculators out there over the past few days. I realize that I only have a few options moving forward:

1. Go with what I've been doing for the past 5 years or so. I make good beer, right?

2. Trust the highly generalized aquifer water profile data that I found on the Internet and attempt to make adjustments from there. I don't think I'm going to do this. I wish I could get an accurate test from my Podunk water department, but my inquiries have been fruitless. Additionally, the mineral content and hardness are so high, and adjustment with salts has a second order effect on one of the other elements to undesirable levels. I've pondered buying on of the Brew Lab kits to test my own water, but I'm still left with the liquid rock that comes out of my faucet. 

3. Build my water profile with distilled water and salts. Seems like the easiest and least expensive (short term) option. I'll obvious use my local hard water to brew those styles commensurate with it, as all the other historical brewers have done throughout time around the globe. 

4. Buy an RO machine. Daddy ain't that rich. 

The great thing about being in the army is that I will move again, probably soon. I hope to at least go somewhere that I can get a water report when I ask for it. In the end, I just want to learn more. I'd also like to apply it through practical application as well. My biggest push for trying to figure things out is my plan to brew a kolsch this weekend. Not really a beer that benefits from additional bitterness. I'm cutting my water with distilled water, which should help. I'd build a desired water profile if I could get ahold of the salts from the LHBS, but a round trip up there takes a whole day. 

My beer is good. I look forward to making a beer that will jut knock my socks off one day. 

I guess I better get back to work...

• Like 3