Mr.Beer Community
Kevin Caffrey

Temperature for May the Schwarz Bier Recipe

The instructions for this recipe indicate to ferment between 53 & 59 degrees -- does anyone know what would happen if kept at a slightly higher recommendation such as between 60 & 64?

Kevin

• Like 1

The recipe comes with Lager yeast, which should ferment at the cooler temp.  Too warm and you'll get off flavors.  You can use the recipe with an Ale yeast, but it won't be a true Schwarz Bier

3 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

The recipe comes with Lager yeast, which should ferment at the cooler temp.  Too warm and you'll get off flavors.  You can use the recipe with an Ale yeast, but it won't be a true Schwarz Bier

Thank you.  Any recommendations on what local stores may have a strip on thermometer that goes below 60?

Personally, I've attached one of these

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digital-Meat-Thermometer/14913168

to the lids of each of my LBK's.  Just drill a tiny hole in the center of the lid, and push the thermometer through it.  I'd also recommend getting a tote that the LBK will fit in, and lots of ice bottles to keep it coo (just use a 20oz soda bottle, fill it about 80% with water, and freeze theml.

If you plan to do lots of lagers, get a dedicated fridge from Craig's List and an Inkbird temp controller, like this one in the Mr. Beer store

https://www.mrbeer.com/digital-temperature-controller-outlet-thermostat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Caffrey said:

The instructions for this recipe indicate to ferment between 53 & 59 degrees -- does anyone know what would happen if kept at a slightly higher recommendation such as between 60 & 64?

Kevin

Im no expert on the 23 yeast but I will say that im about to brew a pilsner and normally id ferment at 55 but it recommends 58 to decrease sulfur production. Kind of counter intuitive 

According to Northern Brewer S-23 will still be good from 61F-66F.  It just won't have as much of a "lager" character.

• Like 1

Thank you Shrike.  I brewed it Monday night and have had it in my garage since then in an empty cooler - but I suspect the temperature has been around 50.  Do you think that will be too cold to ferment?  Should I just bring it in side the house and keep it in the low 60s?  Is it too late to salvage...??

21 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Suspecting is not the way to brew beer.  You can get a stick on thermometer at a store that sells aquariums, and you'll know.  If it's in a cooler with the lid shut, there is no way it's that cold.  

Here's the Fermentis data sheet - https://fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SafLager-S-23.pdf

Thanks Rick.  You're absolutely right - I went into this recipe not fully prepared for various reasons.  It's been hard to find a thermometer strip at local pet stores that go below 64.  I do have the Mr. Beer one and it has the range between 50 & 67.  Do you know that if it was *below* that would the strip simply not indicate anything?  

Anyway, temperature here for the next 5-10 days is typical winter weather for January in Fredericksburg - lows at night in 30s, highs during the day in 50s, sometimes low 60s so I'm hoping in the garage in the cooler it'll stay in the 50-60 range.  

Any strip will indicate the temperatures in the range.  If the temperature is below or above the range, it usually indicates nothing.  You can test this by simply putting the sticker in the refrigerator.  I just tested my sticker on an empty LBK, hitting it with a hair dryer.  Immediately showed nothing.  Removed hair dryer, and the top temp (93) immediately showed up.  Hair dryer again, nothing.  

This isn't rocket science.  People lower temperatures by putting in frozen water bottles and rotating them out, and raise temperatures by putting in hot water bottles and rotating them out.

Thanks.  The sticker has consistently shown it's between 50 & 67 since I brewed it Monday night.  I'm going to therefore remain hopeful that it'll be OK.