Mr.Beer Community
MiniYoda

Recipe suggestion

Looks like my finances are improving, and I'm probably going back into the brewing hobby come fall.  One beer I'd like to clone is:

https://www.lexingtonbrewingco.com/products/lexington-brewing-company/kentucky-tequila-barrel-wheat

It had an amazing flavor of agave, with a hint of lime and wheat.  It's been a while since I've had it, and would like to try to make something similar.  I'm thinking about starting with the recipe for "Lock, Stock, and Barrel Stout", and change Bourbon to Tequila, but obviously need to change other aspects of the recipe.  I'm open to suggestions on this one.  Note that I don't want to overpower the wheat part.  I want more the tequila and lime flavor.  Here is the recipe for LSB, and my thoughts on what to change.  I'm VERY open to suggestions.

2 Cans St. Patrick's Irish Stout -   Change to 2 cans of Bavarian Weissbeir, or one Bavarian Weissbeir and one Aztec Mexican Cerveza., just because "tequila" aned "Mexican"

2 Packets of Dry Brewing Yeast - no change

3 Packets of BrewMax LME Smooth - Change to 3 packets of BrewMax LME Pale, 3 packs of Golden, or mix of Pale and Golden

1 Packet of Munich Malt and 1 Packet of Chocolate Malt -   Change to One Pack of Pilsen and one pack of Vienna, but I'm clueless on this one

2 Packets of Flaked Oats - Thinking no change to this one, but might change to Corn

2 Packets of Fuggle Pellet Hops - Open to ideas.  Just don't want a lot of hop bitterness on this recipe

2 Packets of Oak Chips - no change

3 Hop Sacks - no change

1 Packet of Nottingham Yeast - no change

1 Packet of No-Rinse Cleanser - no change

Add - zest of two or three limes.  Not sure how many, leaning toward three, or two plus a bit of the juice

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Facebook, so I can't ask the Mr. Beer brewing team for their suggestions.  If someone could post this on their forum and let me know their response, I'd appreciate it.  And as always, I appreciate the idea of the team on this forum.

Miniyoda

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

Looks like my finances are improving, and I'm probably going back into the brewing hobby come fall.  One beer I'd like to clone is:

https://www.lexingtonbrewingco.com/products/lexington-brewing-company/kentucky-tequila-barrel-wheat

It had an amazing flavor of agave, with a hint of lime and wheat.  It's been a while since I've had it, and would like to try to make something similar.  I'm thinking about starting with the recipe for "Lock, Stock, and Barrel Stout", and change Bourbon to Tequila, but obviously need to change other aspects of the recipe.  I'm open to suggestions on this one.  Note that I don't want to overpower the wheat part.  I want more the tequila and lime flavor.  Here is the recipe for LSB, and my thoughts on what to change.  I'm VERY open to suggestions.

2 Cans St. Patrick's Irish Stout -   Change to 2 cans of Bavarian Weissbeir, or one Bavarian Weissbeir and one Aztec Mexican Cerveza., just because "tequila" aned "Mexican"

3 Packets of BrewMax LME Smooth - Change to 3 packets of BrewMax LME Pale, 3 packs of Golden, or mix of Pale and Golden

1 Packet of Munich Malt and 1 Packet of Chocolate Malt -   Change to One Pack of Pilsen and one pack of Vienna, but I'm clueless on this one

2 Packets of Flaked Oats - Thinking no change to this one, but might change to Corn

2 Packets of Fuggle Pellet Hops - Open to ideas.  Just don't want a lot of hop bitterness on this recipe

3 Hop Sacks - no change

Add - zest of two or three limes.  Not sure how many, leaning toward three, or two plus a bit of the juice

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Facebook, so I can't ask the Mr. Beer brewing team for their suggestions.  If someone could post this on their forum and let me know their response, I'd appreciate it.  And as always, I appreciate the idea of the team on this forum.

Miniyoda

Although I'm having a difficult time imagining how key lime, agave, tequila, and oak flavors would mingle, I think you're on the right track with your idea.  The only suggestion that I would make might be fermenting with a more characterful yeast --  maybe a West Coast ale yeast, BRY-97 or something similar?  You could also have fun with some interesting hop additions but that would be up to you.  Good luck with it and welcome back to brewing! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

This is for one lbk?

It does sound like a lot for one LBK, but it has the same amount of malt as the Lock Stock Barrel recipe.  I'll just have to keep a VERY close eye on it during fermentation

I have no idea what the abv would be. Dont tell anyone, but i dont use MRB products... but i would do:

one can cerveza

1 golden

1 pack vienna
1 pack wheat

2 pack flaked corn

1 shot of agave

amarillo the whole way through

us-05

3 grams of lime zest at secondary 

1 wood spiral soaked in tequila 

• Like 1

Hey everyone!! I just got back from Uranus study and WoW! A lot has changed since I’ve been knee deep in my work! I wear a helmut when I’m out on the surface of Uranus not just because of lack of oxygen , it really is a smelly place!! Now everywhere I go here on earth people are wearing masks. Didn’t know that Uranus rubs off so close to home planet?? Anywho, hope everyone is still enjoying a great brewing moment with all the crazy things going on in this society. I subscribe to BYO magazine and the most recent issue is about a Norwegian brewer brewing a traditional  Norwegian ale the old school way that dates back to the 1700’s. He’s also on YouTube 2 part video which I finally discovered yesterday. Very interesting magazine article and video. Already got my kveik yeast shipped from Norway, got one pound juniper berries and branches, alderwood and waiting for the month of September to arrive to begin the first attempt of this interesting concoction of Viking history!!! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

Is or has anyone attempted a kveik?

yes, just kegged a pale ale using hothead today. great for summer. you literally don't need temp control! hot garage got the brew up to mid 90's. finished in about 3 days, did a 3 day dry hop and cold crashed. should be some great tropical esters at that high temp. highly recommend in the summer. 

• Like 1

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 3:11 AM, HoppySmile! said:

Hey everyone!! I just got back from Uranus study and WoW! A lot has changed since I’ve been knee deep in my work! I wear a helmut when I’m out on the surface of Uranus not just because of lack of oxygen , it really is a smelly place!! Now everywhere I go here on earth people are wearing masks. Didn’t know that Uranus rubs off so close to home planet?? Anywho, hope everyone is still enjoying a great brewing moment with all the crazy things going on in this society. I subscribe to BYO magazine and the most recent issue is about a Norwegian brewer brewing a traditional  Norwegian ale the old school way that dates back to the 1700’s. He’s also on YouTube 2 part video which I finally discovered yesterday. Very interesting magazine article and video. Already got my kveik yeast shipped from Norway, got one pound juniper berries and branches, alderwood and waiting for the month of September to arrive to begin the first attempt of this interesting concoction of Viking history!!! 

Welcome back Hoppy. Nice job hijacking @MiniYoda's post 😃.

On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 11:20 AM, MiniYoda said:

3 Hop Sacks - no change

Miniyoda

Why not https://www.mrbeer.com/thomas-coopers-preacher-s-hefe-wheat-refill-pack 

alone in your LBK, or 

https://www.mrbeer.com/wild-wheat-recipe 

with a sachet of US-06?

Personally, I'd either try the wild wheat route first.or substitute a Canadian Blonde HME for the CAL. From the description it doesn't sound like it would need the steeping grains of the Lock Stock and Barrel. This is probably a @Nickfixit question. 

• Thanks 1

the key to this recipe is to try to replicate a beer.  It was a wheat beer aged in a tequila barrel.  The flavor of agave was amazing.  I need to research the ABV and IBU of it, to make sure I don't go overboard on either one.

16 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

ok, sent this recipe to Facebook........let's see what they say

I saw that and was quite surprised.  Mini on FB?  NO WAY!  🙂

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I saw that and was quite surprised.  Mini on FB?  NO WAY!  🙂

2020 has been a very strange year.  Prost

• Haha 1