Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
nelgin

Need suggestions to replicate Puppy Chow!

Here in Texas, Martin House have created a beer called Puppy Chow and it is amazing! To my mouth anyway.

On the can it says "Stout with powered sugar, chocolate, peanut butter and chex". It's an 8%ABV, dark and thick.

How would I even start to brew one of these myself?

Two St. Pat's HMEs and a Robust LME will get you close to 8% ABV.

You can add chex at the end of the boil.  I'd start with a cup and adjust up or down in future batches based on how it tastes to you.

You can use cocoa nibs and powdered peanut butter in the boil as well.

The powdered sugar...well, I have no idea.  I can't imagine much of the sugar flavor will make it past the yeast.

• Like 1

Any suggestions on how much cocoa and peanut butter to use? I've never used either before in brewing. The powered sugar, is that something I could add after the yeast has done its job?

Note it must be POWDERED peanut butter.  Peanut butter has fat in it and the beer will spoil.

I would not do the powdered sugar at all.  And no, you can't add it in after.  It would be giving the yeast food, and activity would go crazy.  If it was in bottles, they would explode.  

• Like 1

On Sunday, August 09, 2020 at 10:35 AM, nelgin said:

Here in Texas, Martin House have created a beer called Puppy Chow and it is amazing! To my mouth anyway.

On the can it says "Stout with powered sugar, chocolate, peanut butter and chex". It's an 8%ABV, dark and thick.

How would I even start to brew one of these myself?

Welcome back to the forum?