Mr.Beer Community
D R N

Gila Monster Black IPA

I'm new to brewing beer. I'm on my 3rd try with Mr. Beer. I got the Diablo IPA for Xmas. I want to make 

the GILA Monster Black IPA. I have the Instruction, the question I have is....  Do I leave the hop sack in

the fermenter and or how long. Lagunitas NightTime black IPA was one of my Favorite beers!!!

Thx Darren🍺

• Like 3

Welcome Darren.  You'll want to leave the hop sack in the fermenter the entire time.  One option, when you bottle, is to use a pair of sanitized tongs to quickly remove the hop sack, and then put the lid back on.  A better option is to cold crash, after ensuring the hop sack is at the back of the LBK.  See my post regarding cold crashing.

Also, for best results, follow the 3-4 rule.  3 weeks in the fermenter, 4 weeks in bottles.  When fermenting, ideally you don't want the beer to get warmer than the high 60s, mid 60s is better.  After bottling, keep the bottles at 70 or low to mid 70s for 4 weeks, then refrigerate for at least 3 days before drinking.  Again, read some of the posts listed in my signature.

• Like 1

Thank you Rick for quick response. I have another question. In the details of Gila monster it says to us US-05 yeast instead of what comes with brewing extract. Sould I go with US-05 Whole pack? Thanks Darren🍺

Yes.

The whole packet is designed for a 5 gallon batch.  The amount of yeast in that packet is roughly 4x the amount in a Mr. Beer yeast packet.  Therefore, you could easily use 1/2 of it and save the rest for another batch.  PROBLEM - how to keep the yeast from being contaminated and ruining the next batch.

So use the entire packet.  😀

Rick, If I use the whole pack, Is there anything that could go wrong? If using 1/2 is the correct amount, I don't mind tossing out the rest. I really want to nail this batch. I'm looking forward to a Great Black IPA!! Thx Darren 🍺

No.

If you use an EXCESSIVE amount of yeast in a batch (that's not excessive), you run the risk that the yeast get lazy and don't do their job.  Use it all, don't worry about it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D R N said:

Rick, If I use the whole pack, Is there anything that could go wrong? If using 1/2 is the correct amount, I don't mind tossing out the rest. I really want to nail this batch. I'm looking forward to a Great Black IPA!! Thx Darren 🍺

Welcome to the forum!

On 1/8/2021 at 1:19 PM, RickBeer said:

No.

If you use an EXCESSIVE amount of yeast in a batch (that's not excessive), you run the risk that the yeast get lazy and don't do their job.  Use it all, don't worry about it.  

Rick, I recieved 2 booster packs with my porter (HME) to make the Gila. Should I use them, Both? I planning to brew this weekend. Also thanks for tip of Cold crashing, Should I ferment for full 21 days then crash? Thanks Darren 🍺

36 minutes ago, D R N said:

Rick, I recieved 2 booster packs with my porter (HME) to make the Gila. Should I use them, Both? I planning to brew this weekend. Also thanks for tip of Cold crashing, Should I ferment for full 21 days then crash? Thanks Darren 🍺

It's odd they included them as the recipe doesn't list them under the ingredients.  It's up to you whether to use them or not.  Each will add about 0.65% ABV.  Personally, I wouldn't as the recipe as is is already 8.4% ABV.

2 hours ago, Shrike said:

It's odd they included them as the recipe doesn't list them under the ingredients.  It's up to you whether to use them or not.  Each will add about 0.65% ABV.  Personally, I wouldn't as the recipe as is is already 8.4% ABV.

2 hours ago, Shrike said:

I bought the porter & Diablo ipa separately so booster came with porter. I won't use. Great Thanks !!

3 hours ago, D R N said:

If you read the cold crashing thread, that question is answered right at #1.   

1) When your beer is ready to bottle (determined by waiting 3 weeks and or testing with a hydrometer and getting matching readings 48 hours apart), pick up the LBK.