Mr.Beer Community
jt3_jon

Forgot Booster? Can I still add or save for another time?

Made the CHROMOSBEER Black Lager yesterday and though I had the booster pulled aside and ready to go, I somehow forgot to add it during the brewing process! How important is the booster to this beer? Is there a way to add it a day later (brewed it on 2/7) without it messing up the beer? Or would it be best to let it go and save the booster for another beer?

If its best to not use the booster now, I will have an extra. Can I use more than on booster pack in my next beer? Thanks in advance for your help and reply. 

Let it go without the booster.  Booster adds ABV but doesn't affect the taste or mouthfeel.  Yep, you can use it on another brew.  I usually have about 10 packets of booster sitting around that I get with refill orders.  I use them up by tossing one into a brew here and there.  Each one adds approx. 0.65% ABV, so you can figure out how many you want to add by determining how strong you want your beer.  For example I like my stouts around 4-5% and my IPAs around 6-7%, so I use up excess booster to try and hit those ranges.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply and help! I'll save the booster for another beer. Do these packs ever expire?

p.s. Is your signature up to date? Curious to know your thoughts on the ChromosBeer. I'm usually a stout and porter guy, but my dad prefers lagers so I'm hoping this might be a beer that will satisfy us both :)

1 hour ago, jt3_jon said:

Thanks for the reply and help! I'll save the booster for another beer. Do these packs ever expire?

p.s. Is your signature up to date? Curious to know your thoughts on the ChromosBeer. I'm usually a stout and porter guy, but my dad prefers lagers so I'm hoping this might be a beer that will satisfy us both :)

Black lager sounds like the best of both worlds in your case!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jt3_jon said:

Chromos is probably my favorite MRB lager recipe.  My fourth batch of it is brewing right now.  It's very smooth and balanced.

As a side note:
I live in the Deep South so only brew lagers during the winter when the temps drop.  I ferment lagers usually at 54-55F.  Once bottled, I store them in an old wine fridge I picked up a few years back; I set the temp set at 54F.  I let them lager in there for three or four months before starting to drink them.  If I had a basement I'd just put them down there.

There have been times when I was overstocked on lagers and had to let a batch condition at room temperature, which reached as high as 73F.  Although not ideal, I didn't notice any deterioration in the quality of the beer.

• Like 1