Mr.Beer Community
LClark1049

Beer Is Nothing But Foam

I need some help, I brewed a batch of beer and placed it the fridge to cool down.  When I pour it into a glass it's 80% foam.  Any help would be appreciated in reducing the amount of foam.

3 minutes ago, LClark1049 said:

I need some help, I brewed a batch of beer and placed it the fridge to cool down.  When I pour it into a glass it's 80% foam.  Any help would be appreciated in reducing the amount of foam.

more info needed. how long did you ferment, condition/carb and fridge? how much sugar used for carbing? What recipe?

Thanks for the response, 2 1/2 weeks fermented bottled in 16oz flip top bottles, using 1 carbonation tablet.  They have been bottled for about 3 weeks.

15 minutes ago, LClark1049 said:

Thanks for the response, 2 1/2 weeks fermented bottled in 16oz flip top bottles, using 1 carbonation tablet.  They have been bottled for about 3 weeks.

sounds about right in terms of process. how long did you fridge them? some people suggest 3 days before drinking. what recipe?

It has been in the fridge for about a week, it is a Hefeweizen recipe.  This the 2nd time this has turned out like this.

22 minutes ago, LClark1049 said:

It has been in the fridge for about a week, it is a Hefeweizen recipe.  This the 2nd time this has turned out like this.

hmmmm.....i don't know. maybe someone else has a comment about this. doesn't sounds overcarbed.

What do you mean by "1 carbonation tablet"?  Specific brand, and amount of grams in a tablet?

What temperature did you ferment at?

What temperature did you store the bottles at before putting in the frig for a week?

• Like 1

Wheat adds to head retention and some beers with certain ingredients and yeast can produce more carbonation/head than others. Adjust your pour by tilting the glass and slowly pouring down the side. I've had saisons and other brews that occasionally produce way more head than expected but the beer was fine.

Also try letting the opened beer rest for a minute or so before pouring which might help dissipate some CO2

• Like 2

I used the standard Mr. Beer carbonation drops, I used 1 per bottle.  As far as storage, during both fermentation and after bottling, they were stored between 69 - 72 degrees  Fahrenheit.  Fridge temp is about 36 degrees.

The beer does taste fine and after a while the head does go down, I will try waiting a while and tilting the glass when I pour.

Great advice.

The proper way to pour a beer is 1/2 down the side, then the remaining 1/2 down the center, to create the head.  Of course for some beers they are too carbed to accomplish the 2nd half of that.

Hefeweizen is intended to be more highly carbonated than other beers.  But you used the same carb drops, so...

Be careful on the opening and letting the bottle sit.  I've had brews where if I let it sit more than 10 - 20 seconds, the bottle contents start rising up and the bottle overflows.  

• Like 3