Mr.Beer Community
jt3_jon

Recommend me an upgrade

As someone who has only brewed with Mr. beer recipes using the standard LBK and plastic bottles, what upgrade would you recommend for the biggest improvement? Bottling in glass bottles? Looking into batch priming? Temperature controlled fridge mod for consistent fermenting temps? Something else? 

Ps I did add a hydrometer and bottling wand to my tools recently but always looking to improve my brews. 

1 hour ago, jt3_jon said:

As someone who has only brewed with Mr. beer recipes using the standard LBK and plastic bottles, what upgrade would you recommend for the biggest improvement? Bottling in glass bottles? Looking into batch priming? Temperature controlled fridge mod for consistent fermenting temps? Something else? 

Ps I did add a hydrometer and bottling wand to my tools recently but always looking to improve my brews. 

This.  Proper fermentation temperature control was probably the single biggest factor in improving the quality of my brews.

I do like bottling in 12oz. glass bottles.  I usually use one 500ml PET bottle per batch, just so I can do a squeeze test to see if it's carbonated.

• Like 2

Different bottles won't affect your quality at all.

Batch priming also won't affect quality.

Temp control will affect quality.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2021 at 6:35 PM, RickBeer said:

Different bottles won't affect your quality at all.

Batch priming also won't affect quality.

Temp control will affect quality.

Disagree about bottles. Nothing like waiting a month to try your brew in PET bottles and you discover a bad lid seal and it’s flat. Never has happened to me with glass. I would recommend start collecting glass bottles, a bench capper and an inkbird. If you want to go crazy find a mini fridge to hook it up to. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 3:46 PM, jt3_jon said:

As stated above, temperature control will provide the largest and quickest improvement. The other stuff will help but concentrate on temperature control. Dorm fridges are cheap this time of year on FB Marketplace. Even a small one can hold 2 LBK's (which can be used to split a 5 gallon batch).

• Like 1

I used liquid nitrogen once, had this guy show up in a truck with a refrigerator tank attached. Pulled out this insulated spray attachment and sprayed my fermenter! It exploded and I used the super frozen chunks of beer as a compliment to my beers that I brewed that weren’t so successful. Nice thing about using liquid nitrogen, the metal fermenter exploded too, but since it was so cold none of the metal chunks contaminated the beer! So this is just one of my disaster turned to success stories of life!! 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

I used liquid nitrogen once, had this guy show up in a truck with a refrigerator tank attached. Pulled out this insulated spray attachment and sprayed my fermenter! It exploded and I used the super frozen chunks of beer as a compliment to my beers that I brewed that weren’t so successful. Nice thing about using liquid nitrogen, the metal fermenter exploded too, but since it was so cold none of the metal chunks contaminated the beer! So this is just one of my disaster turned to success stories of life!! 

Hoppy, I’m glad it’s only the 5 of us left on this forum because I can only imagine the reactions from the uninitiated 🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Big Sarge said:

Hoppy, I’m glad it’s only the 5 of us left on this forum because I can only imagine the reactions from the uninitiated 🍺

So does Rick reply or has retirement got him?

1 minute ago, HoppySmile! said:

So does Rick reply or has retirement got him?

He’s still around

Just now, Big Sarge said:

He’s still around

I finally got a rotation shift at work that allows me to have 14 days off per month when I was originally getting 4 days off per month. Yea it’s hot hot summer, but I’m gonna brew everything I have!! 

• Like 1

Just now, HoppySmile! said:

I finally got a rotation shift at work that allows me to have 14 days off per month when I was originally getting 4 days off per month. Yea it’s hot hot summer, but I’m gonna brew everything I have!! 

And to add, gonna get off my lazy azz and jot down those dates on the cans so I can get em outta here! What’s left over I’ll throw in the kettle like a potluck stew of creative beer 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

I’m not so sure that work isn’t the safest place for you right now, but it is nice to have you shake up the forum every now and then🍻.

• Like 2