Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
beerfanfrombuffalo

Jalapeno/Chipotle Pepper Beer

I made this in the spring. It was pretty good, you get the flavor of the jalepeno but not a lot of heat. I still have one bottle I have been saving. Maybe I will pop that bad boy open soon.

I made a jalapeno/habanero beer once, it was well received. It most resembled Dave"s Cave Creek Chili beer with a serano pepper in the bottle. I made this on a bigger scale, large fermenter. I used an american light mix, and used 5 jalapenos and 1 habanero per pound of mix. I cut them up removed the seeds, chopped them to almost a puree(with a blender), and then poured it into the fermenter. It is not a beer for chugging(learned by personal experience, burned all the way down), drank slowly it will just warm the mouth and the back of your throat.

I might have to try that I love jalapenos. Just affraid I tried a jalapeno wine once and it tasted absolutely horrible. Not to hot just tasted horrible.

Guest System Admin

I used to freeze Red Thai Dragon chiles from my garden and at bottle time I would par boil to sanitize and add a whole pepper in the bottle. Condition three months.
I called it flame thrower ale. I will not do this in PET bottles, dont want them to melt.
I need to get some glass I am now going through heat withdrawl.
:evil:

Next weekend I'm going to start brewing my jalapeno/habanero pepper ale and this is the recipe that I will be using (thanks to crazy for posting the link!)

RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can Classic American Blonde Ale
1 Pouch Booster™
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of beer mix)
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet One-Step™ Sanitizing Cleanser

YOU PR0VIDE:
6 Small Jalapeño Peppers (seeded and coarsely chopped)

My question is can I add brown sugar or honey to the mix? Would it make a difference on which one I should use (if any)

Thanks guys!
:chug:

If using the booster I would not add anymore sugar or honey...If you would like to use honey or BS instead of booster that would be good...

Try to keep the sugar 1/3 of you recipe...

You'd most likely be better off using a cup of honey, not the booster, it will give a nice dry taste to it. so, use a cup of honey instead. but then, I don't munch jalapino's. so it's still your call.

beerfanfrombuffalo wrote:

So what would happen if I added the booster and the honey to the mix?

I added 3/4 cup honey to my WCPA mix, which is:

REFILL INCLUDES:
1 Can West Coast Pale Ale HME
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
1 Pouch Booster™
1 Packet One-Step™ Sanitizing Cleanser

And it did not have any adverse effects on the beer. I boiled 1/2 cup water, added 3/4 cup of honey to it until it dissolved, cooled it off to around 70 degrees, then popped the top on my fermentor one week in, added the solution, closed it back up, and let it ferment until 2 weeks. Beer retained a bit of the honey taste, but not the honey sweetness, if that makes sense. Long story short, you should be fine adding some honey....Just don't over do it.

So I just got done brewing my Jalapeno/Habanero Ale. Here is what I did:
1 Can Classic American Blonde Ale
1 Cup Honey
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast
3 Jalapenos
3 Habaneros

I'm hoping it has a nice heat to it. I guess I'll see in a few short months.

Bottled this today and took a quick sip and WOW does it pack some heat! I can't wait till its fully carbed and chilled and a nice helping of some mexican food to go with it!

After all this talk of jalapeno/serano/chili beers, I just couldn't pass this up on the cheap-o rack at Jungle Jim's...

Cave Creek Chili Beer: 25849_384245223804_584258804_3693213_191

First lawnmower beer of the season. Note the classy plastic mug... ;)

Kind of like a slightly flat corona with a bit of chili pepper hot. Not good in the way that I'd like to buy it again, but I felt like I needed to experience it once (esp. since it was $0.50 for the bottle).

How did yours turn out, Buffalo?

How did yours turn out, Buffalo?

As a matter of fact I just cracked open my 1st one an hour a go and it was awesome! I couldn't believe how much heat it had, it was nuts...but I loved it. For anyone that loves hot and spicy things, I would recommend this brew. I took a few pix and will post them soon.
Thanks for asking swenocha!
:chug: