Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BeerGoggles

Question for after conditioning beer

I just finished brewing my second batch and I haven;t even finished my first one...I guess you can say I am hooked before I even tasted my first product :) So I am here for the long haul....1st batch West Coast Pale Ale w/Booster & 2nd batch is Cowboy Golden with Pale Export.

A quick conditioning question....

Once I condition beer in fridge for two weeks, does the beer spoil or flavor change if you then store the beer at room temp or should the beer stay in the fridge after the two week period?

Thanks in advance,
BeerGoggles

i wouldnt take it out of the fridge, it may have a chance to go flat on you.to me i dont think thats a risk i would be willing to take.but than again it might not since the lid hasnt been removed.still unsure. i just wouldnt risk it,but if you do, post a response and let us know.

Thanks, will let you know if I go that route (but I feel it is smarter to keep it in the fridge).... But it seriously looks like I will need to buy a fridge just for my homebrews :)!

From Radical Brewing, by Randy Mosher:
Avoid temperature changes Repeated heating and cooling will cause the protein complexes in beer to destabilize and come out as haze. One trip in and out of the fridge won't kill a beer, but try to avoid temperature swings if you can.

Question
Why is home brew any different than micro brew or macro brew in that respect? They ship store bought beers to stores that leave them unrefrigerated on the shelves all the time. Or people buy beer that has been refrigerated and leave it out until they are ready to drink it.

This time of year I condition in the basement at 60. That solves the problem of having to take some out of the fridge to make room.

Gymrat wrote:

Question
Why is home brew any different than micro brew or macro brew in that respect? They ship store bought beers to stores that leave them unrefrigerated on the shelves all the time. Or people buy beer that has been refrigerated and leave it out until they are ready to drink it.

Well, this is just a guess, but I'll bet after you taste home brew that's conditioned in your fridge for a few weeks or a couple months, you'll realize the answer.

Aren't home-baked cookies better than even the finest store-bought cookies? Time kills most food -- certainly perishable food like cookies and beer. But we've been conditioned (partly by necessity) to accept compromise. McDonald's does great business, but do they have the best burgers out there? Hardly. Can they compete with your own burgers grilled in your backyard? No freakin' way. But it's what people are used to, and the combination of marketing, convenience and over-saturation creates the idea that it's good. Or good enough.

Same with the micros and macros. Some of them are real good, that's for sure. But they're probably that much better before they're loaded on the truck. ;)

BeerGoggles wrote:

Thanks, will let you know if I go that route (but I feel it is smarter to keep it in the fridge).... But it seriously looks like I will need to buy a fridge just for my homebrews :)!

My "spare" fridge was supposed to be for meat, milk and soda. I think the beer won!

I normally don't even put the beer in the frige untill I am about to drink it. I let it condition at room temp. I'm drinking stuff I did back in Feb '09.

yankeedag wrote:

I normally don't even put the beer in the frige untill I am about to drink it. I let it condition at room temp. I'm drinking stuff I did back in Feb '09.

How the Hades did you keep your hands off it that long? You got some patience there, bro! Wish I had it...

As far as fridge conditioning, should the bottles be standing? Or is it ok to lay them down? Reason being, I have an old Pepsi machine...with the door you open and you pull out your product..yes in holds beer. The beers lay on their side while they chill. Sweet little setup, but can I condition them that way?
Thanks.

Mmm Beer wrote:

As far as fridge conditioning, should the bottles be standing? Or is it ok to lay them down? Reason being, I have an old Pepsi machine...with the door you open and you pull out your product..yes in holds beer. The beers lay on their side while they chill. Sweet little setup, but can I condition them that way?
Thanks.

It's better to stand them up so the sediment goes to the bottom of the bottle, not the side.

+1 on the upright conditioning.

And how did I have beer left over from Feb 09? There is only 9 left from that original batch. The secret to having beer left over is: AKK! AKK! Dang Leprachans!

...Make more than you drink.

yankeedag wrote:

What he said. ;)

Dave what you say makes sense. Now that I think about it. I have toured 3 breweries and the beer always does taste much better there. I don't like Coors at all, but when I sampled it at the Coors Brewery it was fantastic, then I had some at a Mexican restaurant on my way back to my motel, had that same old awful flavor that I just don't like.