Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
swenocha

Alpha King clone/IPA experiment...

Halfway thru the boil... Centennial has been boiling for 30min, and Warrior just was introduced. Cascade and more Centennial making an appearance later, with Columbus and Centennial being added as a dry hop later.

It smells like hoppy heaven in here! ;)

What the HOP... Your HOPPIN crazy man... No HOPPIN way... Ah well HOP it... B)

OK... now that I'm done with the brew, cleaning the kitchen, getting the kids fed, etc., here's what I have been up to...

I found a 5 gallon extract based Three Floyds Alpha King clone and trimmed it down to Mr. B size, though I made some substitutions (specifically, I made a change from the LME it called for to the DME I had on hand) that may cut away from it's clone-ness, but I'll have beer nonetheless. It was generally a fun process and no one got hurt, so success has been had. Really had no missteps, so I'm hoping for a good brew out of this. This was also my first cut with the hydrometer, and I totally nailed the OG, so that was kinda cool.

Here's what it ended up looking like (the notes were pretty much cribbed from the recipe I started with):

Beta Prince
-----------
Brewer: Swenocha
Style: APA
Batch: 2.40 gal

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.062 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 66 IBU
Recipe Color: 14° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.015
Alcohol by Volume: 6.0%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.7%

Ingredients
-----------
Crystal 60L 0.75 lb, Grain, Steeped
Muntons DME - Amber 1.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Muntons DME - Extra Light 2.00 lb, Extract, Extract

Centennial 0.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Warrior 0.20 oz, Pellet, 30 minutes
Cascade 0.50 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes
Centennial 0.55 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Centennial 0.40 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Columbus 0.40 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes

Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast,

Notes
-----
- Steep the grain in the full boil volume of water. Fill the pot with cold water, put in the grain bag, and heat the water to just below 170 deg F (around 20-30 minutes). As the water heats, bob the grain bag up and down with a spoon underneath to assure all the grain is well wetted (once every five minutes or so).

- Once the temp is just below 170, let it rest a few minutes and then remove the grain bag, allow it to drain, then discard.

- Continue heating to a boil and add a 2lb of the pale DME.
- Hold boil, and add Centennial hops at 60min to go
- Add Warrior hops at 30min to go
- Add Cascade hops at 15min to go
- Add Centennial hops at 5 min to go
- Pull hops at 0 min, and mix remaining 1lb amber DME

- Follow normal Mr.B directions to add to keg

- After primary fermentation subsides, add Columbus and Centenial hops (dry hops)

Guest System Admin

I am surprised the IBU's are only 66!

Mmm mmm!!!

Style is APA? Sounds more like a solid IPA to me. Curious to hear the outcome! Post a pour pic.

Cheers

Okay, I likely won't have time tonight, but this is creepy close to a recipe I am about to tackle...I will link back to it here when I post the recipe. Glad you had fun, keep us posted.

David

Wow... that liquid American Ale yeast tore it up. Hydrometer reading hit the target tonight (just 4 1/2 days in). Tastes like I'm really gonna like this beer...

That kind of brewing makes me think Swenocha should be in a dictionary. Then you could describe that beer as just being pretty swenocha. Can't wait to here how that turns out.

That was just a taste before dry hopping too huh? It's gonna be a tastey hop bomb. How long you dry hopping it for? I would probably go 5-7 days since the primary fermentation was done so quick and it wouldn't hurt to let the yeast clean up a little bit.

Let us know!

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm LOVE Alpha king :gulp: I want to make this!!

Eight days after the hydrometer FG was spot on and started my dry hop, I bottled this last night. The color, smell, and the small sample taste are just right. I think I'll be extremely happy with this beer. I already know that I'll be brewing up another one of these soon.

Time will tell if it comes close to an Alpha King clone. I need to swing up to Indy to pick up some Alpha King (purely for comparative purposes... ;))...

Very nice, haha I live like 30 min from the three floyds brew pub. Just about every liquor store in my area carry's three floyds :laugh: I can't get enough of the stuff. Last year during Darlord days, Me and friends from my college got the interview one of the owners and one the the brew masters, for our news show we make. unfortunately I knew nothing about brewing at the time. If I only got my mrbeer kit a year earlyer :lol: I would have had sooo many questions! but one of these days I want to try to make this tell me how it turns out. :blink:

swenocha wrote:

Halfway thru the boil... Centennial has been boiling for 30min, and Warrior just was introduced. Cascade and more Centennial making an appearance later, with Columbus and Centennial being added as a dry hop later.

It smells like hoppy heaven in here! ;)

Hi , I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Just read a few posts, you'll see. We of the BeerBorg welcome new brewers. We know they will become assimilated. Resistance is Futile. Quite frankly because we have beer. :stout:

How did this turn out? I still really want to make this I drank a Alpha King at the bar last night. :gulp:

Good beer, but kind of a miss as a clone. Surprisingly not enough hop, and a subtle sweetness that's off from the original. But, as I said, I really enjoy it, but not a perfect clone.

I've got a second cut going now. I'm thinking I'll keep tinkering with this one until I get it right. Worse case, I still get beer...

I'm going to amend my opinion here a touch, jcm. I just popped one that had aged an additional week, and the sweetness is gone. The bitterness is pretty much right, but it's still lacking the floral/citrus element. Gotta adjust my hops sched, but overall pretty happy.

Yea very citrusy it has a lemon bite to it. I don't know what it is but the Gumball head has the lemon bite too. What I have seen in that recipe for gumball head is Amarillo hops. The pride and joy almost has a fruity pebbles hop taste after you drink 2 or 3. They are all SO good but Alpha King is my fav. :P

Here's FFF's writeup on AK:

ABV%: 6
IBUS: 66
COLOR: Deep Orange

DESCRIPTION
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops

According to QBrew, I nailed the IBU and the ABV (and hyrometer backs me up), and visual inspection says I matched the color (though I didn't Irish Moss it, so it's a bit cloudy). On another thread, it's suggested I modify my hop sched to move back the Cascade to 20 min instead of 15, so I might try this.

Here's my original hop sched (my second batch was similar, but replaced Centennial with Cascade in all places):

60min: Centennial (.5oz)
30min: Warrior (.2oz)
15min: Cascade (.5oz)
5min: Centennial (.5 oz)
dryhop: Centennial (.4oz), Columbus (.4oz) - should have been all Centennial and I intended to do a full oz, but I cut in some Columbus to fill as I was short (and since it's a reasonable substitution).

I got no (or very little) citrus out of this... hmm...