Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ljredeye

Other ways of boiling water

It seems it's gonna be tricky to brew beer in my kitchen since my mom and dad occupy that place all day and until 9 at night. They don't know I have one. The times I brewed was when their on a trip or out to dinner with friends. So what I can come up with to make my concoctions is to brew in the most unlikely place-my bathroom.

All I need is a portable stove. The kettle/saucepan I can handle. If anybody thought of this, what do you recommend? I was thinking of a flat single propane stove for camping, not the kinds that stand on top a canister. Or maybe an electric stove so i can tell the wattage? Wait, maybe boiling on electric will be slower. That's what I'm running with right now.

Technically you could get it to boil if you pressurized it right...

Realistically, I'd go with Sir Nongington's advice. They do seem pricey, though. I'd personally try a camping stove (if I owned one already). If you have a gas BBQ, that might work. Good luck hiding the pots from your folks, though.

I retract my previous statement.

Actually, you might want to risk just telling your folks, provided you are of legal age, of course. I figured nothing good would come of it, but when I was at BB&B getting my second fermenter over winter break, my mom actually stepped in and paid for it. Wouldn't even let me pay for it. Moral of the story: you just might be surprised.

Sir Humphrey S. Edmund wrote:

Actually, you might want to risk just telling your folks, provided you are of legal age, of course. I figured nothing good would come of it, but when I was at BB&B getting my second fermenter over winter break, my mom actually stepped in and paid for it. Wouldn't even let me pay for it. Moral of the story: you just might be surprised.

+1

I wouldn't risk it, not at this time. Their in their 50's and 60's and I can really tell their going loopy Thanks for the burner input.

wondergut wrote:

At the risk of contributing to the deliquency of a minor, I can definitively state that a Coleman propane camp stove will boil a considerable amount of water easily. We do a lot of camping. I'd say that it takes five to ten minutes to boil a quart of water.

I go with that.

Does you Dad or Mom drink beer? I am pushing 50 and definately LOOPY, but I brew my own. Talk to Dad first, maybe you can share this hobby with him.

Good Luck,

Whale

Yeah that stove in the bathroom that doesn't sound right, get yourself a cheap hot plate they're everywhere. Sit in your room and throw that bad boy on a desk or some hard sturdy surface turn on the boob tube and make some beer.

ljredeye wrote:

I wouldn't risk it, not at this time. Their in their 50's and 60's and I can really tell their going loopy Thanks for the burner input.

Yeah, us old folks in our 50s aren't all there, that's for sure. :silly:

Seriously, though, do they have "issues" with alcohol? Meaning, are they teetotalers who can't abide having it in their house for moral or religious reasons?

My wife doesn't drink and says she just doesn't understand the appeal of alcohol. This is a decision she made back when she was a teenager. She won't even buy beer for me when she's out at the store. Just won't do it. Yet she's the one who bought me my kit for Christmas, and she's totally cool with this hobby of mine.

Are there other issues with your parents that make you reluctant to have them know of this?

Loopy or not loopy, don't you think at some point they might go "hum..... I wonder what that smell is?" Its not like steeping or boiling ingredients doesn't omit an odor. As dumb as some of us thought our parents were at a younger age, I can definately attest to the fact that they weren't that dumb!

Yeah you might get in more crap if you make an IPA and boil tons of hops hahahaha they might think you smoking weed in your room.

Honestly bro, your 22. I don't think your parents would care about this hobby. At least it can keep you out of trouble.

Cheers and good luck

Loopy! Yes, Oldtimers Disease.
Time to call the old folks home.
Or just be an obedient and respectful child.
Do what your parents say, they love you and they are trying to protect you.

Ok, you're not going to like this reply. I'm a dad, my kids are 4 and 2.

You said you're 22?

I suggest either:
a) spending the money to get your own place since you're an adult, or
B) being honest with them and then respecting their wishes since it's their house

Apologies to all. When I considered this thread and looked at it from the point of view of a homeowner/parent (which I am, but it has been some time since our son left the nest), it struck me that I excersized extremely poor judgement in replying to the initial query; thus encouraging something I would definitely not want to happen in my own home.

Investingdad is absolutely right. It is the parents' home, and they not only have every right to determine what is permissable under their roof, they have a duty to do so. Although I realize that it is closing the barn door after the horses have left, that is the reason that I deleted my previous posts.

I stand thoroughly chastised, notwithstanding the fact that wiser posters here were overly generous in not doing so themselves.

Can I just point out that the idea of using a propane stove INDOORS is really not a good idea given that it generates Carbon Monoxide?

I think you'd be better off letting them know and using the stove. I wouldn't be surprised if they already know you've got it and just haven't said anything. Anything that burns something would be dangerous because it could easily lead to CO or CO2 poisoning. And you're likely to overload a circuit trying to boil enough water to make beer using something electric.

I'm guessing your parents would be more upset if they came to your part of the house and found you dead or if you started an electrical fire by overloading the circuits.

ljredeye this is your parents speaking...
why are you in the bathroom so long? what's that funny smell? Are you doing beer again? Oh lord Bob he's doing beer again. Call the Jones' and the pastor. Lj can you hear me?.. are you passed out again from the co2?
Dude either tell them you'd like to cook some beer. Ask is it ok with them? or do it at a buddies house.

You live in your parents house, so you need to live by their rules. Get your place and brew all you want. Using propane inside is dangerous.

Laser-shooting eyeballs, flamethrowers, and thermonuclear weapons. all three are efficient at boiling water.

LOL, I looked at the title and thought he was asking about electrical brewing or a RIMS or HERMS system. I didn't figure on hiding something from ones parents.

I'm with everybody else, and I'm 43/married/with kids, don't hide it from your parents.

Ron

You can boil the water on your parents forehead when they find out you are using a gas burner in the bathroom.

if you are really 22 then i would guess the reason to hide it is for religious reasons.

if thats the case your parents know you will have no trouble boiling that water in hell.

Holy Moley - I'm so old! At 22 I was out of my mind! Now I'm just insane. Kid you got to get your parents hooked. Make them drink your beer then get their Grateful Dead, Neil Young, The Who, Beatles albums out & start a sing-a-long. Beer is the answer. It built our country & it will save the world! :drinking: