Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Clearcut23

Got my carny Keg...Now what?

Ok. So today I picked up a 5 gallon Carny keg for only $35. I also picked up a 6 gallon Ferment bucket a Siphon an Air Lock and everything I need to brew 5 gallons of 5.0 ABV brew. I dont really understand how to accurately use my Hydrometer. Also, does anyone know how much a 5lb CO2 Cylinder would cost to buy and re-fill? If you respond can you please not use abbreviations? Im still pretty green when it comes to the lingo. Thanks

my 5 pound Co2 ran about 85 or so, cost 9 to fill. I'll try to add more tomorrow, bed time now.

You can get a new 5# tank for about $60 http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/gas-equipment-cid-19.html

It should last through roughly 15-22 corny kegs. It also depends on if you want to force carb because that will use up more gas.

You can get your tanks filled at any welding supply shop or a fire supply store. These places should take your tank, freeze it and fill it up. You will have to get it the next day. You can drop off your tank and swap it with a full tank that day but then you are not getting the same tank back.

Some scuba shops may also fill your tank.

I suggest you go to a place that freezes you tank because that seems to be the best way to get a proper fill.

Thanks for the Reply! Would you by chance happen to know how much they would cost to either fill the tank or exchange the tank? Im kind of having to go with the cheapest option to start out with. I cant afford the exact setup I want right now. From the looks of it I might have to buy a bunch of those small BB gun CO2 cartridges and a little Keg Adapter to force carb and dispense

Just but the 5# tank and be done with it. I don't know if it's possible to use those BB gun things but even if you do they are going to be more expensive in the long run.

It only costs me about $12 to get my tank filled. I drop it off at a place about 10 minutes from my house and pick it up the next day.

I would still get the real thing. It's $23 for the part that dispenses only 3 gallons of beer according to your link. You said you are brewing 5 gallons of beer. You would then need to purchase additional cartridges and then you're at about the price of a a gas tank.

What you posted is really just if you brew a beer and want to take the corny keg to a party somewhere.

It cost 9 bucks to fill my 5 pounder. got it back in 20 min. It's lasted quite a while. Also, those little Co2 jobbies ain't gonna cut it. You'll spend more in a few weeks than if you just get the 5 pound tank and get it filled. You really don't need anything bigger unless you plan on going commercial in the next few weeks.

It cost 9 bucks to fill my 5 pounder. got it back in 20 min. It's lasted quite a while. Also, those little Co2 jobbies ain't gonna cut it. You'll spend more in a few weeks than if you just get the 5 pound tank and get it filled. You really don't need anything bigger unless you plan on going commercial in the next few weeks.