Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
VTGroff

Holy [Explitive Deleted] - Warm Conditioning

Just wanted to share, I just popped an Abbey Dubbel that I have been "warm conditioning" for ~6 weeks. I've been doing a thing where I take half the bottles and Cold Condition and half the bottles and warm condition for all my brews to test the difference. So far,I've had one or two of the cold conditioned brews andbeen pretty "meh" on them.

They all seemed trademarked by the problem I've been running into with all my early brews - too "yeasty" tasting. Cold Crashing has helped, using liquid yeast has helped, but I'm still tasting the yeast.

This one I just popped, I might be sold on avoiding Cold Conditioning all together. I don't know what's up, but this is the best brew I've ever made. Head Retention leaves room to be desired, but taste? The taste is incredible. I'd be dancing right now If I didn't think I'd wake my wife up.

I might be a convert here. Still lots of experimenting to go, but I just wanted to share preliminary findings.

Viva Warm Conditioning! :cheer:

All the Mr beer beers should have some type of warm conditioning before popping them in the fridge. Are you just bottling and carbing for 2 weeks and popping them in the fridge? 2-2-2? Typically the only time you want to cold condition for long periods is when lagering, from what i've read on here and in the books. I think there might be a few other styles that require cooler conditioning temps but you should typically condition at fermenting temps for a few weeks at least.

Your tasting more of the yeast in the cold conditioned beer because your putting them to sleep before they can do the rest of their work and eliminate any of the other "weird or off" flavors left behind.

I try to give most of my brews a month or longer to condition at room temp. Makes a world of difference. Of course after the 2-2-2 I put a couple in the fridge to try right away. Sometimes you just can't help yourself. But when I get back to them after a month or more of conditioning at room temp its a world of difference in taste.

Guest System Admin

I find that wheat based ales require less conditioning time to improve the taste. 2-2-2 works great on Witty Monk, or other wheat beers.
Thanks for our attention. TonyK

yankeedag wrote:

That 2-2-2 rule is mainely to keep the noobz from drinking it right out the can from MB.

Sometimes I open my HME and dump the yeast packet right in the can. I let it sit for 2 weeks pop the can in the fridge for an hour or two and then enjoy. B)

thats funny!thats why I love these forums

I too always carbonate 2 weeks and then condition room temp as long as possible,at least a month before considering them at best flavor, fridge for at least a couple days and go for it

TonyK wrote:

I find that wheat based ales require less conditioning time to improve the taste. 2-2-2 works great on Witty Monk, or other wheat beers.

I had an early taste of the German Hefe recipe from Mr. Beer site that I made and I totally agree. I had a tester at 2 weeks ferment and 12 days carb and it was really good, even with no conditioning. It now sits at 2-2-12 days and I am about ready to have the next tester to see the difference.

ronnydobbs wrote:

TonyK wrote:

I had an early taste of the German Hefe recipe from Mr. Beer site that I made and I totally agree. I had a tester at 2 weeks ferment and 12 days carb and it was really good, even with no conditioning. It now sits at 2-2-12 days and I am about ready to have the next tester to see the difference.

I've got German Hefe in the keg right now at day 10 of fermenting. Can't wait to try that sucker!

Just wanted to jump in and second this. I just had a situation where half the bottles were in the fridge and the other half were left out due to space restrictions. Just tasted one of the latter last night, and I can say there is a huge difference and improvement.

It all depends on the yeast used & style you're brewing. If you are making a true lager, using lager yeast, you should ferment & condition at around 50 degrees. With Mr beer yeast it's much warmer 68-76. That's why the beers taste better & clear up better at room temp. Try using more yeast & re-hydrating it before pitching. I'm having really good results doing that. Cheers! Beer_Tin_Sign_C13111684-20100215.jpg