Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
PmdBama

Sierra Nevada

I'm wanting to do a Sierra Nevada-ish (note I did not say clone) batch. They're heavy on the Cascade hops (which I have laying around). I'm picking up some pale DME this afternoon and was wondering which MrB HME you guys would suggest to get close? Any ideas? I've got an international variety pack plus a can of WCPA laying around.

For a good sierra navada clone I would use the classic american light as a base with some pilsner DME. That and a long hop boil will give you a really good beer. Last fall I used the classic American light with 1 pound of pilsner DME and I boiled one oz of cascade hops for 20 minutes. It was a really good pale ale.

Sir Humphrey S. Edmund wrote:

I feel like I detect more than just the cascades going on there, though I could be wrong. Seems more earthy than some other pale ales I've had. Could be the bittering hops, but I'm not sure if much/any of their flavor would still be around. This might be of use.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/paleale.html

lol. yes. that would have been helpful. maybe i should have done my research first. for the record, i just used the vienna lager, 2 lb pale DME and a 60/20/5 min boil with cascade. I split the DME in half to boil the hops so as not to over-darken it. according to qbrew, my batch should actually come out pretty close, but next time I'll take into account the hops listed on that page. I'll let you guys know how she turns out.