Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tabasco

Another corn sugar vs white granulated thread

So anyway, on my second batch, the MrBeer St Patrick's Irish Stout HME w/ Creamy Brown UME, I bottle primed some with white granulated, some with corn sugar. The white granulated ones have a nice head that stays a bit, the corn sugar ones .. what little head there is disappears pronto.

And I primed my next two batches with corn sugar. Ah, it's ok, they're all carbed enough to enjoy. I may just start using white granulated, the jury is still out. Most in here have noticed no difference, so maybe it's my measuring or something. Where it says in the MrBeer book use 3/4 tsp for a 12 oz bottle ... is that for corn sugar too, or are you supposed to use more? It will be a while before I no longer am a newbie heh heh.

But, as I said in another thread ... I made a brew that involved boiling DME and boiling in Cascade hops today ... hope it comes out good cuz it was fun, no other way to put it .. fun.

Read somewhere, maybe another tread on this board or in Palmer's, that there is a differnce in the fermentable sugar in equal amounts of differnent sugars. Tried tubanado in a few bottles last batch (WCPA) and had the same problem, less head and less retention with the turbanado. I guess this is a case where more refined has a definite affect.

Hey Tabasco
I just popped open the first two bottles of a batch of whispering wheat
(straight mr beer basic refill). I primed with the recipe amount, but I used
some "organic pure cane sugar" that my wife had for baking. Pretty pricy compared
to regular white sugar. By far the best head of my 7 brews so far!
Head is retained down to the last drop, in fact still foam in the bottom of the glass--15 to 20
minutes. I can't be certain it was this sugar I primed with that did it, but I just bottled another
batch with it, so we'll see.

There may be something in what btomlin75 said about the level of refining affecting the amount and retention of a beer's head. I primed my first batch with honey, and it had an amazing head that stayed with it throughout the drinking. Naturally, the sugar in honey is much more raw than table sugar.

Given that Blaztman used "organic" sugar (which I take to mean less processing involved), and got the results he got, maybe there's something to this.

Of course, different recipes will yield different results, so I don't know if we can make an empirical statement. I also notice Blaztman and I both had the results with the Whispering Wheat, so maybe wheat beers contribute more to head formation and retention, as well.

Clearly, this requires more research. Do you think we could wangle a government grant that would pay for us to brew and drink beer? :woohoo: :gulp: :woohoo:

FedoraDave wrote: "Clearly, this requires more research. Do you think we could wangle a government grant that would pay for us to brew and drink beer?"

I'm all in for that one... :stout:

I am in for that. Gov. money to brew, test and drink beer..... BRILLIANT! LOL!

Blaztman wrote:

Hey Tabasco
I just popped open the first two bottles of a batch of whispering wheat
(straight mr beer basic refill). I primed with the recipe amount, but I used
some "organic pure cane sugar" that my wife had for baking. Pretty pricy compared
to regular white sugar. By far the best head of my 7 brews so far!
Head is retained down to the last drop, in fact still foam in the bottom of the glass--15 to 20
minutes. I can't be certain it was this sugar I primed with that did it, but I just bottled another
batch with it, so we'll see.

Wow, thanks!
So, far, my carbonation and head have been very inconsistent. It's what I starting to pay attention to. There are a lot of variables, like FedoraDave pointed out, so it's hard to pin down. I heard boiling hops in (if you like bitter hoppy) helps a lot. I have to wait a while to find out about that, cuz I just started a batch of that fermenting yesterday.

I'm learning also, that for each batch, write down notes, if not just the recipe, and reference it by batch number, which is on my log sheet. There's no way in hell I'm ever going to remember what I did for each batch without a notebook.

FedoraDave wrote:

I also notice Blaztman and I both had the results with the Whispering Wheat, so maybe wheat beers contribute more to head formation and retention, as well.

I forget exactly where, but I feel like I remember reading that wheat added to any beer does help with head retention. Naturally, a wheat beer should thus have great head, and retention.

I'm learning also, that for each batch, write down notes, if not just the recipe, and reference it by batch number, which is on my log sheet. There's no way in hell I'm ever going to remember what I did for each batch without a notebook.

Amen to that. I think I take better notes now than I did in school

All for a government grant! Use our tax money to test beer priming, great idea. Who do we call? :laugh:

"FedoraDave wrote: "Clearly, this requires more research. Do you think we could wangle a government grant that would pay for us to brew and drink beer?"

Maybe they'll have a draft (pun Totally intended)

Wheat beers usually have better head retention. The corn sugar may have had nothing to do with it.

Guest System Admin

gophers6 wrote:

Wheat beers usually have better head retention. The corn sugar may have had nothing to do with it.

Interesting. I got a wheat beer UME from LHBS that I'm going to boil some hops into .... should be interesting ... may add some honey ....

Yesterday I got my Mr. Beer Canadian w/ Pale Export refill, and I got it going in the new fermenter

tabasco wrote:

gophers6 wrote:

Interesting. I got a wheat beer UME from LHBS that I'm going to boil some hops into .... should be interesting ... may add some honey ....

Yesterday I got my Mr. Beer Canadian w/ Pale Export refill, and I got it going in the new fermenter

Yeah, I'm a big fan of wheat+honey.