Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Headbanger Brew

Question

Ok day 5 of my first batch,simple Classic Blonde Ale made by the book with no additions. Nice amount of stuff on bottom of keg and the large amount of foam on top is now about 90% gone from the other day and its clearing up well. Should I attempt to taste now or wait another couple days?

+1 on what the crustacean said.

Fermentation is very active during the first 72 hours or so, but it's still going on well after that. Fourteen days will give you a better beer.

Cribbing Yankeedag... The yeast is done eating the sugar and pooping, and now it's time to eat the poop. Or something like that... I may have misquoted... ;)

Wait the 14 days. I didn't on my first brew, bottled after 10 days. Indeed had beer, it carbed good but not as full bodied as the next batch I did(and probably light on ABV). Finally went by LHBS and got a hydrometer to be sure. All brews have come out beer but it is hard to wait sometimes. :silly:

I have the same american blonde ale bottled just a couple days ago, It is my second batch... I have my 3rd batch in the fermenter now. It is the Defibrilator doppelbock 7.0 with honey replaced with brown sugar. It is the one that im excited about about and i have to wait so long on it...I am just learning so much about the things you can tweak and it seems to me that following the recipe exactly is not really an art. I want my beer to be mine not just some instructions i followed so i am really looking forward to making some goooood beer!

I just made my first batch today, and I was wondering just how long it takes before the yeast actually stops fermenting and when it really doesn't improve the beer by waiting any longer.

between 2 and 4 weeks...

If you don't have a hydrometer...give it at least 2 weeks...If you don't mind waiting 3 weeks... It cleans up really nice...and makes the carb and cond much better...

swenocha wrote:

Cribbing Yankeedag... The yeast is done eating the sugar and pooping, and now it's time to eat the poop. Or something like that... I may have misquoted... ;)

It's just so loverly to be recognizatated. :stout:

Actually, at five days, it's still wizzin and pharting. But this is the start of the feminine side of the process... we all know they do it, they just don't want us to catch them. :stout:

yankeedag wrote:

swenocha wrote:

Actually, at five days, it's still wizzin and pharting. But this is the start of the feminine side of the process... we all know they do it, they just don't want us to catch them. :stout:

Simply brilliant!

Guest System Admin

Even with a hydrometer, I would wait for the two week period. Patience,
is one requirement of good beer. Thanks for your attention. TonyK

yankeedag wrote:

swenocha wrote:

It's just so loverly to be recognizatated. :stout:

Until you marry 'em then they do it with the door open! I don't wanna see that!!

Leagal? not in Utah. But I degress (as usual).

TonyK, we must disagree on the Hydrometer part.
When the Hydrometer indicates that it has reached final gravity (consistanntly), then it's ready to bottle. One of the main variables is the yeast. Some work faster than others. Also, we know that "contents vary". Temps may not have been consistant etc. That is the reason I use the Hydrometer. It's a tool to measure by.

We do agree that "Patience, is one requirement of good beer."

That can really be applied when allowing the bottled beer to "lager" as it were. :stout:

Guest System Admin

Thanks for your insights yankeedag. I agree that the hydrometer is a valuable tool. Perhaps, I spoke too strongly on the side of patience,and for the 2-2-2 method. Thanks for your attention. TonyK

Your reasoning was not unfounded TonyK. There are a lot of people that do not use a Hydrometer, and for good reason it is wise to use the "rule of thumb" two week fermentation cycle.
Likewise, on the flip side, some brews require a longer than 14 day fermentation cycle. There are enough times I feel I am not wise enough to know the difference (I think lack of patience is a major reason) between the two. Ergo, I am inclined to rely on the hydrometer vice my (oft times misplaced) judgement. :stout:

I use my hydrometer to verify my taste buds, nose and eyes. It does indeed help and should be utilized especially if you are doing a new recipe. The ultimate test is the taste test after all is said and done and several weeks of conditioning.

I had bought my Hydrometer while I was in mid-ferment. I wasn't able to get my OG (original gravity) reading but, it did give me a FG (final gravity) that told me it was done pooping or pharting or something........and ready to bottle!! Also, even if you possibly bottle too soon your beer will still ferment a little more in the bottle. No worries mate!!