Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

anybody have any thoughts?

Guest System Admin

I have a question about some of the beers that I have been tasting that I have brewed. After bottling and carbing for 2 weeks and conditioning for a week, I tasted them and they tasted great. about another 2 or so weeks out I am getting severely increased carbonation and off flavors (and this is after sitting conditioning in the garage).

I am miffed as to the drastic flavor change for the worse.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sheldoni

Are you carbing with sugar? Any chance something got into the sugar? I keep mine separate, so when the kids make Kool-Aid or something, they're not accidently putting something in the sugar I use.

Just a thought.

Um...
Bottles were cleaned and sanitized?
Equipment was cleaned and sanitized?
No free floating Kid Goobies in the sugar?
Temps in the Garage?
No cats spraying the bottles?
What Kind of "off" flavors?
Just asking a lot of questions here to try and narrow down a possiblility :stout:

From what I've heard & read, no it doesn't go away. You can drink it, but it won't taste good if it's an infection.
:throwup:

Guest System Admin

Hey Yankee, Kinda medicinal. Lots of foam (no gushers) but just has a nasty taste. now that being said, it happened on my MrB batch, and my 5 gal batch. The MrB batch is bottle primed with sugar, and my 5gal batches were batch primed with corn sugar.

The bottles and everything was sanitized per my usual routine with Oxy free.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Some were flippies, and some were crowns.

Sheldoni

Hmm you only used OxyClean Free? No sanitizer (One Step, Star San, etc.)?

That could be it. I'm not sure though. But my reccomendation would be Star San my friend. Seems to be the best out there and worth the money. It's a super concentrate that makes 5 gallons worth of sanitizer with 1 oz of it.

Its great for real. I use it in spray bottles. It works in 30 seconds. So it's great to spray stuff as you need it.

Also, it's no rinse just like the One Step. I've also read that the foam it produces DOESN'T affect head retention or flavor and actually is good for the yeast.

Just my two pennies

Cheers and hope not all of them turn out that way.

Guest System Admin

well I cracked 3 of the 12ers and they are fine. I will keep you posted. Maybe juat an abberation.

Sheldoni

Did you use any clohrine, clorox, bleach...To clean the fermenter or bottles...???

Were you sure to prevent oxidizing while filling the bottles???

Both of these can lead to off flavors that get worse over time...

Chapter 21.2 of How to Brew
http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.htmlMedicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.

Check that chapter out. it might answer a few "?" for you. :stout:

Guest System Admin

thanks. I didnt use any chlorine based products.

I appreciate the feedback though. I will monitor closely and report if I have anymore info.

Sheldoni