Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
PmdBama

Fermenter Blow Out!

I've got two kegs going now and one just foamed over. I need clean up advice. Obviously, I wiped down the sides, but what's the status of my beer? Am I at risk of spoilage? Should I remove the lid and clean it out?

Don't open the keg and start swabbing it out, it's almost guaranteed to contaminate the batch. Things should calm down now that you've had this overflow, so just clean the outside, being careful to jostle the keg as little as possible. If you're worried about the vents in the lid being clogged, I'd recommend keeping an eye on it to make sure you don't have any blowouts. Watch for distended places on the keg. You might loosen the lid just a bit, if you're really concerned about it.

And maybe in the future, put the keg on a cookie sheet or something to catch any potential overflow.

What were you brewing in it, anyway?

I would give you lid a quarter turn or so and then tighten it back down, but not to tight. I had a keg overflow and when I loosened the lid it hissed like it was carbonated because the vents were blocked from the dried gunk.

I've experienced similar with the brew I have going now, a cranberry maiboc. Like said above, loosen the lid a hair, if you hear it hiss, that's great. I heard mine hiss, and tightened it back up after, and have had no more overflow, or excessive pressure buildup since, and I'm about 2 weeks into the 3 weeks of fermenting time.

Also, like said above, just clean up the outside of the keg, and I would suggest like FedoraDave said, any time you brew something with fruit in it, make sure the fermenter is at the very least on a cookie sheet. A lot of people here put their kegs into coolers, and close the lid of the cooler loosely. Whatever works best for ya. Awareness to your beer, and potential "situations" is the most important thing.

thanks guys. the brew is actually nothing particularly exotic. just a OVL with 2lb LME with a 60/20/5 min hop boil, but I did use a whole packet of safale yeast. and it is in a cooler.