Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RiverRatRandy

Doubling Up On Yeast

The HME's all come with a packet of yeast under the lid. So, a kit with one HME and one UME will have one packet of yeast in the recipe. Right? The premium kits have two HME's and, therefore, two packets of yeast. The recipe then calls for two packets of yeast. Right?

If I have an extra packet of yeast (which I do), can I just pitch it in a batch with one HME and one UME? What's the difference between that and the recipe with two HME's, as far as amount of yeast needed? If I do use two packets of yeast, what pros or cons are there?

Pretty sure it's just simpler for Mr Beer to package all HME with yeast under the lid. That's why you get 2 with the premium kit. There's no downside to using your extra with the HME + UME.

Use both! It can only benefit the brew.

It'll definately eat up all the sugars and convert them into alcohol faster and more effecient.

I use Fermentis Safale US-05 for my Pale Ales/ IPAs and it comes in a packet meant for 5 gallon batches. I use the whole packet for a 2.13 gallon Mr. Beer batch and it turns out great! Only downside is there is a little more trub in the fermenter and get a little extra yeast at the bottom of the bottles BUT a careful pour and proper preperation will limit the amount that gets into the beer when poured into a glass. Plus, I would think the little extra yeast would help preserve the beer if you let it sit and age a while. Couldn't really hurt any.

I hear a lot of brewers on here say they use extra Mr. Beer dry yeast packets as a yeast nutrient in the boil.

I would reccomend using a better yeast. Mr. Beer dry yeast works but its not that great IMO. For a buck or two more it makes a HUGE difference. Better yeast=harder yeast cake, less funky yeasty flavors, and FASTER fermentation at lower temps. The Mr. Beer dry yeast seemed to work at higher temps like 70-72. The Safale US-05 I've been using works great at 66 degrees. Higher fermenting temps can cause not-so-desired flavors in the beer too.

Cheers

I'm pretty sure the reason that Mr Beer always puts a yeast packet with HME is because you're always going to use at least one of them with a brew.

One Mr Beer yeast packet has 2 g of yeast. I've been using Fermentis (Safale S-04 and US-05) and Danstar Nottingham yeast lately. I usually use 1/2 of an 11.5 g packet or all of a 6 g packet. Some people will use an entire 11.5 g packet with a Mr Beer batch. So 2 Mr Beer packets is definitely okay.

bpgreen wrote:

I'm pretty sure the reason that Mr Beer always puts a yeast packet with HME is because you're always going to use at least one of them with a brew.

One Mr Beer yeast packet has 2 g of yeast. I've been using Fermentis (Safale S-04 and US-05) and Danstar Nottingham yeast lately. I usually use 1/2 of an 11.5 g packet or all of a 6 g packet. Some people will use an entire 11.5 g packet with a Mr Beer batch. So 2 Mr Beer packets is definitely okay.

I wanted to split the packet of the US-05 on this last batch but I was kind of in a hurry to wrap it up and just didn't feel like fooling around with splitting it and storing it. It can't hurt any. Makes it ferment a bit faster and a little extra trub don't bother me any. It forms a pretty good yeast cake and I don't get too much more than normal in the bottles.