Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
I_like_beer

Ferment time

Hey Everyone,

I'm on my 7th beer or so, but I have a question on the one going now. It's the Irish Stout one. It's only been fermenting for a week today, but all of the foam is gone, the top is clear of anything floating, and it does taste like flat beer. Bottle? Or let ferment for another week to give it the full 2 wks?

Thanks much!

Gymrat,

No sweetness, that's why I am wondering if I should bottle, or let sit longer. How will letting it sit affect anything, like AC or taste?

Thanks

A week seems awfully fast. What was the recipe you used? If it was a basic refill a week could possibly be enough. I honestly don't know if it hurts to leave it in the fermenter too long. If there is no sweetness it is probably ready to bottle.

Letting it sit for another week won't hurt anything. Best case its done and ready now, worst case.... its not ready and you will have a mess when you bottle and things explode. Just saying...... patience will guarantee a non-mess almost (depends on priming as to whether you have a big mess or just a little one).

For the future, buy a hydrometer and watch this thread. Hydrometer will tell you precisely when you can bottle. Although a little corney at times it shows you the proper technique on using a hydrometer and how to read it.

A week is too short. I'm a big believer in fermenting 2-3 weeks. Doesn't hurt a thing to be in there that long.