Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bkumd

Perspective is key

This past weekend, I brought a few bottles of the basic WCPA that came with my kit to my friends house. There were the 1st ones to by drunk since I cracked open one prematurely about a week and a half earlier. My friend (who usually drinks stuff like Miller, Coors, Bud Light, etc.)really liked it. I on the other hand usually drink beers that are better, at least in my opinion (Like one of the Sam Adams brews or something from Bell's Brewery,) and I thought the WCPA was ok, but probably not anything I would buy, or even make again. After we drank the 3 liters I brought over, I had to get a Labatt out of the fridge (that's all he had.) At the 1st taste of this, I had a whole new appreciation for the beer I just made. I'm confident that making some of the more complex recipes, I will be able to make something that will exceed the tastes of what I normally drink. I have a Voodoo Magic fermenting right now and can not wait to try it in a month or 2. CHEERS!

Sam Adams and New Belgium Breweries have been my mainstays for years. But I like the stuff I am making much better than those. And the nice thing is, once you learn how the various ingredients affect the flavor, you will be able to tailor your beer to your taste.

Gymrat wrote:

Sam Adams and New Belgium Breweries have been my mainstays for years. But I like the stuff I am making much better than those. And the nice thing is, once you learn how the various ingredients affect the flavor, you will be able to tailor your beer to your taste.

I'm trying to select recipes right now that use all the different ingredients MRB has to offer so I can have some idea of what they taste like to create my own brews later.

There's a lot of us on here that think WCPA is just an "eh" type of beer. I think Mr. Beer would do better to put something different in there starter kits, but that's just my opinion. You're gonna find that the more stuff you do, the better you like it. You're gonna have a blast here.

truckndad wrote:

… Mr. Beer would do better to put something different in there starter kits…

Want to know why the WCPA was chosen?

bkumd wrote:

…At the 1st taste of this, I had a whole new appreciation for the beer I just made….

Note; He said “I JUST MADE.”
There you have it. The WCPA is a simple quick brew and it is a stepping stone to more complex and BETTER beers.

It's a stepping stone beer. If you were to give a person the whole "wow" factor strait out the gate, in a lot of cases, it would just be overwhelming. So the WCPA is a nice "entry level" beer. Easy to make, hard to muck up. Just my 2cents :stout:

Perception is everything. When I drink different beers in one setting the first one usually seems the best. I think the taste buds get conditioned to it, everything next seems off.
Oh, and I think they put WCP in the kits cause it most closely resembles standard Bud and Miller.

truckndad wrote:

There's a lot of us on here that think WCPA is just an "eh" type of beer. I think Mr. Beer would do better to put something different in there starter kits, but that's just my opinion. You're gonna find that the more stuff you do, the better you like it. You're gonna have a blast here.

It's eh in the standard recipe, the deluxe, I'm sure is better, or with DME. One HME and booster is ok, but it was a one shot deal for me. For refills, it will be deluxe or premium for sure.

I gave about 10 of my WCPA's away. Wasn't quite something I liked but I still drink one from time to time. Either way it got me to brew and from there brew more. Its beer and thats the thing. You know you can do it and from there the possibilites and techniques are almost endless.

Maybe they don't want to it be a great starter beer? I drank it and my first thought was "I can make something that tastes better than this!" and off to the drawing board I went for my next creating.

I have about 15 HMEs (mostly international packs from BBB), 3 or 4 UMEs, a couple cans of fruit, and 3 or 4 different types of pellet hops that I can experiment with over the next few months. Thinking of making the lemon weissbier next, but I've read that it is much better with 2 of the HMEs instead of 1 plus booster. I'm thinking of still adding half the pack of booster to up the ABV a little though.

as long as you don't go past the 2:1 ratio with the sugar (that being the "1"), you should be fine. :stout:

I guess I should expand on what I said a little bit. When I said I think Mr. Beer would be better off putting in something else, I din't mean one of the Deluxe or Premium refills. It's just from what I've seen, WCPA just gets a so-so reaction. I happen to really like the Cowboy Gold basic refill. I've heard others say the Classic American Blonde is a good beer. I just think one of those in the kit would serve them better.

I say that because if someone brews an "eh" beer with the WCPA, they may think why waste the money on more expensive refills for "eh". If they brew a Cowboy Gold or Classic Am. Blonde, and they like that, that person would be more likely to shop more on Mr. Beer .com.

I hope that better explained my position.

My feeling was, if this basic brew tastes this good the more complex ones will be even better. I was right, I also like variety, but I've discovered they are all good. :)

I tend to think it's a combination of a less intimidating beer and a less intimidating process.

A friend of mine got her husband a kit for Christmas, and he immediately brewed up the WCPA. Her reaction to it? "It's tastes good; like Budweiser, if Budweiser had a taste."

Combine that with my brother's assessment that Bud is a good "training beer." In other words, when you're first learning to drink beer, you're likely to go with an inoffensive, sort of bland beer like Bud. Nothing special, but it's beer.

So new brewers get their MB kit, and there's the WCPA, and it's all ready to go. Three weeks later, they're drinking a beer they made themselves. It was no strain, really, and they're pleased with the result, because it's on a par with Budweiser, but they made it themselves! Woo hoo! The light bulb goes on and they think, "What else can I make with this? What's this Octoberfest Vienna Lager? That sounds good! Hey, they have recipes here! Maybe I'll try this, or that, or I'll use honey, or add hops!"

And they're hooked.

So, maybe for homebrewing with Mr. Beer, West Coast Pale Ale is a "training beer."

You could do worse.

I too started with the WCPA. I like stouts and porters, but this was my 'training beer' right? So--to muck it up, I added a Tsp. of fresh ground corriander and 1/2 cup brown sugar and let it go. It needed 3 weeks in the bottle but now is what my wife wants as our "fridge beer" ie, the beer you keep in the fridge when ya just want a cold one. She only drinks things like Amstel light and says she LOVES this homebrew. My friends like it too. So as soon as I finish the porter I have in the keg right now--I'm doing another WCPA in the same fasion just to keep in the pipe line.

Detroitpete wrote:

I too started with the WCPA. I like stouts and porters, but this was my 'training beer' right? So--to muck it up, I added a Tsp. of fresh ground corriander and 1/2 cup brown sugar and let it go. It needed 3 weeks in the bottle but now is what my wife wants as our "fridge beer" ie, the beer you keep in the fridge when ya just want a cold one. She only drinks things like Amstel light and says she LOVES this homebrew. My friends like it too. So as soon as I finish the porter I have in the keg right now--I'm doing another WCPA in the same fasion just to keep in the pipe line.

It's one HME plus booster and you added more sugar? How'd that work out? I guess fine, your wife seems to like it.