Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dennisd

Water supply?

I searched but couldn't find an answer. I'm curious, what do you use for your water supply to mix your wort. Unfiltered home supply, filtered home supply or bottled drinking water? I've been using filtered home supply but I think I'm going to switch to bottled drinking water (not mineral water but just bottled drinking water).

If you've got a filter on your water faucet, you're probably OK. Myself, I use bottled water. Just whatever is cheapest in the store at the time. Usually can get it for 99 cents a gallon, so I think it's worth it if the beer comes out better.

I use bottled spring water the cheapest( 2 galons at 99 cents each) I can find and I have not had any issues.

Be careful not to use purified water or a water purified by reverse osmosis because this actually take nutrients out of the water that the yeast needs to grow. Distilled is not good either.

I buy spring water. For 90 cents/gallon I figure its not worth the risk of using my marginal quality tap water.

I've been using reverse osmosis filtered water from the grocery store display (at $0.29 per gallon to $0.49 p/g depending on the store). I was originally also under the impression that the lack of yeast nutrients in the water would be an issue, but have since learned that there are ample nutrients present in malt extracts, and produced by mashing. I haven't ever had a fermentation problem with any of those brews (I also use hard well water with some, but none are yet conditioned well enough to compare). Some brewers feel that using that sort of filtered water without adding certain minerals can produce a "boring" or bland brew, but I don't yet have enough experience to weigh in on that topic.

My understanding is that most any water that tastes good can be used succesfully for extract brewing. Water chemistry comes more into play when using all grains.

Well now I'm really confused. I had heard that osmosis filtered water is not good for brewing beer but the only drinking water I've been able to find is reverse osmosis filtered. Now wondergut says he has good results using osmosis filtered water. :blink: :side: :silly:

I have an under sink double cartridge filter system that uses gauze and charcoal. I've had good results with this water in my first two batches by running the water for a while to purge any that has been sitting in the system for a while.

Maybe I'll just keep going with that. More input please.... since I'm just getting started, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

If you read my post here:

http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=58&func=view&catid=8&id=56130

you will see I had an issue with my last batch. I was wondering if the water I used may have introduced a contaminate. Now it's looking more and more like I just didn't know what the heck I was/am doing.

Guest System Admin

Understand that most of my input is gleaned from this forum and book learnin', and even the five I've read (and several re-read more than once) somtimes contradict each other. All my yeasts have fermented very actively however. The only time that adding nutrients to filtered water is absolutely necessary (per my understanding, and possibly subject to dispute) is when using a large amount of non malt adjuncts like corn, rice and wheat.

I'm literally surrounded by conditioning and fermenting beer (have brewed ten batches since Christmas, two five gallons), but none are yet ready for drinking, although I have enjoyed several of the five gallon batch IPA's before their time. That particular batch was with RO filtered water and tastes like it is going to mature very nicely.

The first four quarts I just use water from the tap. I mix my Booster with tap water, too. After I've poured the wort into the keg, I pour from the Brita pitcher we keep in the fridge; not so much because it's filtered, but because it's cold and will bring the wort down to yeasting temp. Then I fill to the 8.5 line from the tap.

Of course, deciding on using tap water will depend a lot on the quality of your municipal water supply (or well, if that's what you use). I haven't had any problems, but YMMV.

The thing about this is, it seems strange to me to try and keep everything sanitized as well as possible but then not worry about the water container or condition of the faucet. Now I'm not saying my kitchen is gross or anything but I think you know what I mean. It's suggested you sanitize the can opener, mixing spoon, measuring cup, fermenter and anything else that comes in contact with your mixture. I even go as far as using alcohol to wipe the top and rim of the cans of ingredients before I place them in warm water. I live in a town with treated water and like I said, I previously used water from my filtered drinking water spigot on my sink.

I just found 2 gallons of charcoal & micron filtered water I am going to use for my next batch. The way I see it, the cleaner everything is kept the less chance something will go wrong or cause an off flavor. Then again, like I said; I'm new to this hobby.

I just use the tap water but I like the taste of it here when I move I might resort to store bought. I have thought about the whole sanitation thing and i might be tempting the fates but so far everything has been fine and I have made good beer.

I think the chlorine, chloramine, or whatever type of disinfectant your water dept uses is strong enough to kill the bacteria from growing in their water, pipes, and faucets. If bacteria did grow in the faucets, then a) it would be flushed out due to frequent use or B) running the tap for a few minutes prior to using the water for brewing will flush the system out. Just my opinion and knowledge from biology.

I use britta filtered water.

Somebody asked about using RO water. If you're doing all grain brewing, you shouldn't use distilled or RO water because the yeast need some of the minerals. So all grain brewers should use spring water or filtered water from their faucet.

If you're using extracts, the water that was used for the extracts is supposed to have the necessary minerals, so you can use RO or distilled water.

I use spring water. It's 89 cents a gallon at the grocery store, and I get an empty gallon container I can use for bottling. It also makes measuring a snap - add 1 jug to the fermenter, use the other for the cup of water for the wort, then dump the rest of jug 2 into the fermenter and it usually ends up right at 8.5 Quarts.

bpgreen wrote:

Somebody asked about using RO water. If you're doing all grain brewing, you shouldn't use distilled or RO water because the yeast need some of the minerals. So all grain brewers should use spring water or filtered water from their faucet.

Well...I use RO water with my AG brewing. In fact, nearly all my fellow brew club AG brewers use RO. You are absolutely correct though about the mineral content and we have to add minerals to the RO water to build a water profile that matches the style of beer we are brewing. My LHBS has a house mineral recipe they include with all purchases that works quite well with RO water. The nice thing about building water is that you control what goes in your water and keep out what you don't want in your brew.

bpgreen wrote:

If you're using extracts, the water that was used for the extracts is supposed to have the necessary minerals, so you can use RO or distilled water.

My rule of thumb is if your water is good enough to drink from the tap, it's good enough for extract brewing.

What does water taste like? If it taste good, use it, if it taste bad, don't use it. Coor's says it affects the taste but in 2.5 gallon to 5 gallon batchs it would take bad water to make the beer bad. So if you drink it you can brew with it.