Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
StandupGuy

Introduce myself...

Hi everyone, I'm Paul, I just took the plunge. I'm gonna do some homebrew! Yeah! My first brew I was thinking of trying was Whispering Wheat with a cup of honey to make a honey/wheat. Any thoughts/tips, any are greatly appreciated. Man, I can't wait, I'm excited to get started...

Welcome aboard. You will find many helpful people here, many of whom have no problem answering what you might think are dumb questions. Feel free to ask away, and search the forum for whatever you need. Again welcome!

To get that "honey" taste, you might want to add the honey pretty much after you boil the water. There are more here that have done that than I so I will let them comment. Welcome to the BeerBorg. Assimilation is pretty much guarenteed...We have Beer. :stout:

Welcome!
Had great results using the Wheat HME + 3/4 cup honey + 3/4 pouch booster. Like Yankee said put the honey in after the other items. The reason for not using all the booster is to keep the malt/sugar ratio balanced.

The aroma and a big part of the honey taste are in oils that will boil away.

To test this out, take a mix of honey and water and boil it for about 10 minutes. Let it cool and then taste and smell the results.

I have a Honey Wheat on my list of future brews. From what I have read on doing Fruit brews, I plan to add the honey when I transfer to secondary.

Nice to meet ya! Keep us posted on how the brew goes! The people in here helped me a lot; you picked a good spot to hang ... great folks.

BeerConnoisseur wrote:

The aroma and a big part of the honey taste are in oils that will boil away.

To test this out, take a mix of honey and water and boil it for about 10 minutes. Let it cool and then taste and smell the results.

I have a Honey Wheat on my list of future brews. From what I have read on doing Fruit brews, I plan to add the honey when I transfer to secondary.

Bill Nye the science guy (AKA BeerConnoisseur) is correct.

I added honey to my ADIPA. Mixed 1 cup honey with 1 cup water to dilute it a little bit, then added that mix to the fermentor after the wort went in, then topped off with cold water and mixed until my arm almost fell off. The test draw smelled good and tasted OK, but it won't be ready to drink for at least 4 weeks still. I'll let you know how that turned out.

Welcome, Paul! Good to have you aboard. You're gonna pick up a lot of good information here, as you probably already realize from the responses to your post.

My first batch was the Whispering Wheat. I didn't add honey to the wort, but I did prime the batch with honey. I was pleased with the results, so I'd recommend you prime with honey in addition to adding it after the boil.

Follow the advice the others have given you as far as that's concerned.

But I strongly recommend priming with honey instead of sugar. It's no harder, and you get a great head on your beer from it!

So using honey instead of sugar is better? Im hoping to bottle my first brew this weekend and was going to do half white sugar half brown checking to see how it comes out on a simple blend for my first one (Classic Blonde Ale)? How much honey?

Headbanger Brew wrote:

So using honey instead of sugar is better? Im hoping to bottle my first brew this weekend and was going to do half white sugar half brown checking to see how it comes out on a simple blend for my first one (Classic Blonde Ale)? How much honey?

Not better, just different. You may find you don't like it, which is fine. Your brew, your rules.

I've already bottled three batches, and used different things to prime each one; honey, table sugar, and brown sugar. I haven't tasted the second and third ones yet, so I don't know what differences I'm going to notice, but they were different HMEs, too.

For the batch I primed with honey, I used four ounces of honey (by weight, not volume) in one cup of water, and batch primed.

Doing half your bottles with with white sugar and half with brown just to see how they turn out, and what the difference is is also a good idea. This is how we learn.

I think Classic Blonde Ale would turn out nicely whatever you decided to prime it with. Whatever you choose, good luck. I'm sure it'll turn out well.

Yeah-WW + Honey = Tasty !! I would add the honey to the water in the keg before the wort goes in or you might want to add after it has been fermenting for a week or so.Also bottle prime with honey as well.Please keep us posted with your results and perhaps a "first pour" photo?