Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
artiewylde

bottles ready to explode

I just checked on my Ottos Octoberfest and the bottles are rock hard and disformed at the neck...look like they are about to pop. They have been sitting for 7 days. What should I do?

Are they the plastic PET bottle?? If so, go ahead and open just enough to get the hiss out and that will relieve the excess pressure.

truckndad wrote:

Are they the plastic PET bottle?? If so, go ahead and open just enough to get the hiss out and that will relieve the excess pressure.

+1 quickly vent those bad boys. I would rather have less carbonated beer than bombs :ohmy:

Sounds like too much priming sugar to me.Might want to release some of the built up pressure and soon or else you will really have a beer grenade on your hands.

Like the others said "bleed" the bottles. Probably too much sugar but could be too little head room, watch both as you bottle. I had the opposite problem on my 2nd batch and didn't put enough sugar so very little bubbles.

If they were glass bottles and the necks deformed from the pressure I'd be very concerned. :laugh: