Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
D Rabbit

Steeped Hot!

Just a question about my recent recipe. The temp of the water I used for steeping got well above the recommended temp. usually 150-170 is what I read. I checked mine and it was at 190 with 8 minutes left. It wasn't at the 190 for longer than a few minutes. I added 1/2 quart of cooler water to bring the temp down quickly to about 165 again. Than I kept it about that temp for the rest.

Does steeping at too hight of a temp have any ill effects? I tasted the beer from my OG sample and it tasted pretty damn good so i'm guessing no but i'm looking for assurance.

to hot of a steep can extract tannins from the grain. which can result in an astringent flavor.

Im sure it will turn out tasting fine.

NYrunner wrote:

I think that as long as the water didn't boil you should be fine. You may want to consider buying a dial thermometer for your next batch though.

http://new.midwestsupplies.com/dial-thermometer.html

Not a fan of those thermometers. The problem I had was operator error. I had the digital reader to far away from the stand. I've heard of people dropping those thermometers in the wort and them breaking.... ruining the whole batch.

Nothing wrong with using a digital remote thermometer, one with an alarm set for 180 would be great if you can't stand over the top of your brewpot all the time. The dial type can get dropped without damage to it or the wort, it's the glass b@$7%ds you need to be careful of.

Not a fan of those thermometers. The problem I had was operator error. I had the digital reader to far away from the stand. I've heard of people dropping those thermometers in the wort and them breaking.... ruining the whole batch.

The one above is not a digital thermometer. It is a dial thermometer that clips on to the side of your brewing kettle. You can just clip it onto the pot and then you won't have to worry about dropping it into the wort.

If it got too hot for just a short time, I don't think you did lasting damage to the batch.

As for the thermometer, look around and see what suits you. I have a remote digital, and I'm pretty happy with it, although haven't done steeping or anything like that.

Of course, that's subject to change. ;)

Not sure your process, but all the kits I've done with steeping grains instructed you to get the water up to 165, then turn off the heat, and begin your steep. You don't keep the heat on while your steeping, so you won't run into this problem, or have to keep that close of an eye on it. I keep my pot covered, and bob the bag every couple of minutes. When its all said and done the water usually ends around 145-150 after the 25min.

I've been following this method for any brew now with steeping involved.

Time will tell but I wouldn't worry about it. You probably need a keen sense of taste to pick up the tannins that were released.
I've got a glass thermometer that clips inside the pot, never thought about it breaking. Now you guys gave me something else to worry about!