Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nimand

Question

Hello,

I am a new brewer and I am brewing the fast pitch pilsner and I have a few questions. This is my first brew and when I put in the yeast I did not let it sit before I started stiring. Is this an issue? Also I just noticed my fermenter has produced what looks like a black ring on the inside. Is this normal? And last, the best place I can put my fermenter is making it range in temperature. Is this ok if it fluxuates in temperature as long as it stays within the proper temp?

Thanks in advance

I'm fairly new at this, but I'll take a crack at answering you, based on what I've experienced and learned from this forum:

Provided you sanitized per instructions, I would guess that the ring around the inside of the keg is simply from the foam created from stirring and fermenting (did you see foam on top of the wort after a day or so?). This is normal.

As for stirring prior to letting the yeast sit for 5 minutes; not ideal, but if you see evidence of fermentation (foam on top), then it's working.

Yeast will work best at a constant temperature, but as long as you stay in the range specified for your yeast, it should work okay. Not ideal, but okay.

Brew on!

Yea it looks like it is foaming properly. I sanitized properly. Everything looks great except for the ring and the temp change. I think I may have it at a constant temp now but we shall see. Thanks for the post.

You could cover the fermenter with a blanket or put it in a large cooler to help keep the temp even.

lets see the first couple hours of fermentation started out at 68 degrees. moved down to 66 and then i changed the position of the keg a little higher. this made it hang around 70-72 than as high as 74 and now its back down to around 72-74

Welcome Nimand-
Your doing fine. Just let it sit for 2 weeks. At the end of week 1, you should be seeing light colored sediment at the bottom of the tank, this is normal also. Your temps are fine -- all are within the range for the yeast to be active. After 2 weeks, fill a small glass and take sip. if it tastes like flat beer, it's bottling time.

Welcome to the obsession!

lol thanks a lot guys. i am enjoying it and already planning the next batches and getting more bottles.