Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tabasco

Failure ... tried to make full DME brew

It's a long story. I'll be brief. Guy in LHBS said use 3lbs DME for a MrBeer batch. He's right with that. No one's fault but my own, I did not properly consider how much water to boil that much DME in. What a fucking disaster. I got the "wort" in the fermenter, but dumped it tongight. I actually got a Blonde DME to turn black.

Whole house smell like aliens shit in it, then got burned alive.

Screw it, it was my tenth batch, I tried to do something I wasn't quite ready for, and now I look forward to the re-try. I trashed twenty bucks worth of ingredients, and my cat smells like a sewer rat.

There's a lot to be said for refills, HME's, etc. ALOT. But I'm also gettin into steeping grains, full hour hop boils, and ... I'm being honest my tenth batch starting gettin into this, and I FUCKED IT UP. HEH HEH.

So to I treated myself to another HME thing (God, I love that), which will be awesom like all the firs nine, I'm sure.

I have a plan for my next try at a full DME hop boil thing. I don't see this being succinctly covered in the Joy of Home Brewing, so pray for me heh heh.

It could be worse....I'm not sure how... But it COULD be....

Really sorry to here about your loss...but now that it is done it's something we can all learn from...

So F#$% it.... put on a jacket go outside...it prob smells better out there anyway...and have a homebrew on me... :gulp:

I did the same thing with LME the first time I made a non-MB brew. Didn't use enough water and chard the hell out of the LME. Hit my OG though ;) I will tell you that once I moved to AG, it was a heck of a lot easier to calculate my water.

Well, if it makes you feel better I did a DME plus mini-mash attempt this weekend. The mini didn't go so well as my Igloo had some heat leak issues. I have a lot of doubt about any sort of conversion on my 3/4 lb of [correction - Victory, not Biscuit] mixed with 1/4 lb Crystal.

That said, things were going OK. I mixed in the 2.75 pounds of DME and got 'er boiling. Added my hops for the 1 hour run. Looking good and smelling good. Until dumbass decides to go upstairs and got hooked wathcing Bobsled runs for about 5 minutes. Just enough time for a boil over downs in the basement. I lost a lot of wort and I was supremely pissed at myself.

Starting Gravity of 1.044, what a joke.

Fermentation is ripping along, though. I named this recipe Disaster Amber. A 3 gallon Igloo mash tun does not appear to work for a MrBeer size batch, I'm doing the stove next time.

investingdad wrote:

Well, if it makes you feel better I did a DME plus mini-mash attempt this weekend. The mini didn't go so well as my Igloo had some heat leak issues. I have a lot of doubt about any sort of conversion on my 3/4 lb of Biscuit mixed with 1/4 lb Crystal.

That said, things were going OK. I mixed in the 2.75 pounds of DME and got 'er boiling. Added my hops for the 1 hour run. Looking good and smelling good. Until dumbass decides to go upstairs and got hooked wathcing Bobsled runs for about 5 minutes. Just enough time for a boil over downs in the basement. I lost a lot of wort and I was supremely pissed at myself.

Fermentation is ripping along, though. I named this recipe Disaster Amber. A 3 gallon Igloo mash tun does not appear to work for a MrBeer size batch, I'm doing the stove next time.

Good Lord, the internet is amazing, putting me through to people like you ... I love this shit. Thanks, so many around me don't understand or care about this shit. It's fun hearing stuff like what you just posted.

Oh man Tabasco. I'm not laughing at your misfortune but your colorful discription had me in hysterics. Here's to your next brew going better. Aliens. Man you are too funny!

tabasco wrote:

investingdad wrote:

Well, if it makes you feel better I did a DME plus mini-mash attempt this weekend. The mini didn't go so well as my Igloo had some heat leak issues. I have a lot of doubt about any sort of conversion on my 3/4 lb of Biscuit mixed with 1/4 lb Crystal.

Good Lord, the internet is amazing, putting me through to people like you ... I love this shit. Thanks, so many around me don't understand or care about this shit. It's fun hearing stuff like what you just posted.

It sure wasn't much fun this weekend. But it sounds like you had it worse. Trust me, I know EXACTLY how you feel. But as I noted in my thread about this attempt, now that I'm a few days removed I feel better about it. No, it didn't go well. Yes, the beer is probably going to suck it.

But, I did learn something. I learned that a certain technique will not work for a mini-mash. More importantly, I have a fallback plan on what to do on my next go (the oven). The boil over and the mini-mash fail are not related, but they sure felt that way this weekend.

I was not this philosophical Saturday night. I was royally pissed off and in full "over-react" mode...you know, telling myself I was done with this whole thing?

But anytime you take a Step Out, you're bound to have some issues. The problem, of course, is that you don't know what to look for and you're flying solo. Because of my problems, I learned a lot in trying to understand where the problems are:

- thermal losses due to large headspace in the cooler/tun is a problem
- holding temps on the oven I can handle since I've done it while steeping
- I now know which grains to consider when attempting a mash
- putting a lid on my wort pot is not a good idea

A year ago when I started this, I was scared of screwing up a few cans of MrBeer extract. Managing hop boil, steeping grains, timing the yeast rehydration, and hitting my pitching temp on the wort all at the same time are now fairly simple. Lots of growth, more to learn, careful notes, drinkable brew along the way.

LOL :laugh: I hope your wife has a sense of humor. :silly:

Just don't give up, man. I do full DME brews all the time. Three quarts of water boiled for an hour works well for a Mr Beer sized batch.

Guest System Admin

wondergut wrote:LOL I hope your wife has a sense of humor.

My wife, who is usually a real pain in the ass (because she's a wife), didn't bust 'em on this one ... I think she felt bad for me. But she won't stop giving me useless random advice, like "cook it slower in a crock pot". She means well, though, I have to start appreciating that better.

P.S. don't feel too bad for me, as I'm sayin' my HME batches so far seem to be coming out fantastic.

Guest System Admin

Eddie wrote:

Just don't give up, man. I do full DME brews all the time. Three quarts of water boiled for an hour works well for a Mr Beer sized batch.

Thank you for the encouragement! And also thanks bigtime for your third sentence, I can use that info for sure! You guys rock.

Questions: If you use that much water 3 qts (obviously I have to use my larger pot), do you need to let the wort cool down considerably before into the fermenter, to prevent thermal sock to the plastic, or do you start off with more that 4 qts cold water in the fermenter, in which case I'm worried about now there's too much to fit within the 8.5 level? I'm guessing just let wort cool down, but then does it get thick again?

Also how much DME are you using for your mrbeer batch?

yankeedag wrote:

I sent you a billing for you to play with in your PM box.

Wow, thanks! I'll look at that now .........

tabasco wrote:

Questions: If you use that much water 3 qts (obviously I have to use my larger pot), do you need to let the wort cool down considerably before into the fermenter, to prevent thermal sock to the plastic, or do you start off with more that 4 qts cold water in the fermenter, in which case I'm worried about now there's too much to fit within the 8.5 level? I'm guessing just let wort cool down, but then does it get thick again?

Also how much DME are you using for your mrbeer batch?

Three quarts of water will reduce SIGNIFICANTLY during a rapid/rolling 60 minute boil. It is not necessary to let it cool when you start with 3 quarts, because you will end up with half that. After filling the Mr Beer keg with 1 gal cold water, wort, and more cold water to just over the 8.5 qt mark, they keg temp is always 68-72F.

If I'm using extra grain and need to start off with 4 qt of water, then my keg temp will be 88-92F, which is pushing it.

Three qt always works perfect for me, then again I let the tap run several seconds to get it very cold before I put the water in the keg.

My ave recipe 4-5% ABV is 2.25-2.75 lb DME, and I never add DME anytime other than start of the boil because adding will stop the boil, which messes up your timing on the hops that are already in there. If you're afraid of a light colored beer getting dark from boiling DME for an hour (truthfully, color change is minimal if you don't burn the stuf to the bottom of the pot) then do 1/2 - 1 lb DME boil for hour and add LME at flameout.

Keep posting, I love your enthusiasm! :chug:

That is also what I do for my hour long hop boils. Last weekend I brewed a Maibock with 3.3 lbs of pilsner UME, 1/2 lb of crystal 10 L steeped for 30 minutes and a cup of honey. I boiled 3/4 of an oz of Tetnag hops for 60 min, 1/2 oz for 20 min and 1/4 are going to be throwen in on Saturday. For the hop boil I added 1 lb of UME for the 60 min boil and at the end of the hour boil I dumped the rest in and brought it to a boil and then removed from it from the heat and cooled to the wort to 60 degrees to pitch the lager yeast.

I made a 11.2% barely wine last spring and I did the same thing, it worked great.

So thats what that God aweful smell was ;) Just kidding. Consider it a learning experience and move on!

tabasco wrote:

It's a long story. I'll be brief. Guy in LHBS said use 3lbs DME for a MrBeer batch. He's right with that. No one's fault but my own, I did not properly consider how much water to boil that much DME in. What a fucking disaster. I got the "wort" in the fermenter, but dumped it tongight. I actually got a Blonde DME to turn black.

Screw it, it was my tenth batch, I tried to do something I wasn't quite ready for, and now I look forward to the re-try. I trashed twenty bucks worth of ingredients, and my cat smells like a sewer rat.

There's a lot to be said for refills, HME's, etc. ALOT. But I'm also gettin into steeping grains, full hour hop boils, and ... I'm being honest my tenth batch starting gettin into this, and I FUCKED IT UP. HEH HEH.

So to I treated myself to another HME thing (God, I love that), which will be awesom like all the firs nine, I'm sure.

I have a plan for my next try at a full DME hop boil thing. I don't see this being succinctly covered in the Joy of Home Brewing, so pray for me heh heh.

How much water did you use? I'm not an aged brewer(well I'm aged just not that way)but I would think even up to 1 gal would be fine. less than a 2 quarts a disaster for that much dry product. Did it boil over or just burn. bring you temps up slow. use less DME then add remainder later. You will still get a hot break and keep you lighter colors. the reason to have SOME lme/ume/dme in the boil is a place to give the hops a place to attach their flavor. THEN you can add more lme/ume/dme to keep the color down. It does sound like you burned the extract because of dilution factors. Next time turn off the heat while adding. That'll help with boil overs.
It's not fun adding dme to water, it clumps(but desolves later)it can burn(sorry never had it happen),it changes the color of your beer(yup had that happen)but tastes great and adds a kick to all beers(IMHO). :side:

I do the same thing with my DME as I do when I add booster thow water in a blender remove the little thing from the blender cover and put the cover on crank it up and start adding the DME or Booster. Some times it takes a couple of blenders full to get it done but it's quick it's easy it's disolved completely and you can kick the heat up and go.

With the high humidity we have at my zip code, I've found it's just easier to put the DME in the cook pot, add water, turn on the heat, stir till I mix as much as I can, then stir the lumps until the water is warm enough to disolve the lumps. And as always, I just bring it up to 210* for the mini break. No boil overs. Then to 212* for the boil. :stout:

Haha shit that was funny man, hope your cat smells much better nowadays

its amazing how things change when you keep at it eh? I've done the same thing, my buddy did too. Think my bro-in-law had the same issue with his first batch not long ago. Its an all too common error one doesnt think about at first....

nice ressurection. :)

Tabasco wrote:

Ah, memories ...............

Thread necromancy is awesome when it contains gems like:

Tabasco wrote:

Brought back some memories of some old posters.

tabasco wrote:

It's a long story. I'll be brief. What a fucking disaster I actually got a Blonde DME to turn black.

I trashed twenty bucks worth of ingredients, and my cat smells like a sewer rat.

and I FUCKED IT UP. HEH HEH.

so pray for me heh heh.

Tom is a a man of few words, but he tells it like it is and means it.

Best post I've ever read on here. Thanks for bringing it back. I could barely read it without crying with laughter. :P

I can't believe it's been over three years since this event ... :laugh:

The only ever ruined one other batch, but I don't remember how ... :lol:

"Tabasco" post=244901 said:

Ah, memories ...............

As that cigarette saying went, "You've come a long way baby!"

"Tabasco" post=376977 said:

I can't believe it's been over three years since this event ... :laugh:

The only ever ruined one other batch, but I don't remember how ... :lol:

I enjoyed re-reading this one. Yes, it's interesting to see how much we've grown and developed as brewers, isn't it.

It's also a little sad to see people contributing to this thread who haven't been around for a while.

I think we've all messed up at least one or two batches in our pursuit of new processes and techniques. I recall the first AG batch I ever attempted. I bought the grains at my LHBS, only to learn they didn't grind them for you. So I took them home and tried to crush them with a rolling pin. Did a lousy job, of course, and must have had an efficiency of about 35%. After a week in the fermenter, I realized I'd made strongly hop-flavored water, and I dumped it.