Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
FedoraDave

Gotta psyche myself up for this

My order from Northern Brewer arrived yesterday. It was supposed to arrive Friday, but we got socked with about 2 feet of snow, so I can't really go all Kenny on FedEx over that.

I got the Star San I needed to bottle my Berry Pacific, which prompted this emergency order in the first place. But while at the NB website, I decided it was time to take the leap to DME brewing. So now I have:

1 pound each of three different DME
1 oz each of two different hops
One 11 gm packet of brewer's yeast
One can cherries

And the aforementioned Star San

And I'm gonna have two empty kegs after bottling. Even though I worked a full day yesterday in a rather feeble attempt at catching up on the lost Friday, I gotta keep the pipeline flowing, don't I?

My wife is using our one-butt kitchen this morning to make her chocolate chip 'n' crack cookies. So this afternoon, I'll be bottling my Berry Pacific, and taking the plunge into DME. Can you say Indy Cherry Wheat?

"Approach not yon task with trepidation, for with confidence and bold action shall Ye rule the day."

If I may presume to offer any advice, here it is. Probably much like concocting your BBQ sauces, you'll find it easier to add your ingredients (DME) while the water is hot and being stirred. Pour it in gradually and it will be easier to avoid big clumps. The little clumps are quickly dissolved. If you are doing hop additions, add your first either before or after your hot break. Adding the hops can cause a foaming reaction, and as I found out the other day, adding during the hot break can make a near overflow a certain one.

Good luck! You won't regret it.

I figured I'd add the first half ounce after hot break. That one is bittering, so 40 minutes. Then the rest of that hops and the first half ounce of the other hops after 20 minutes, for flavor. And then the last half ounce to boil for five minutes, for aroma.

And I'm going to add just half the can of cherry puree to the wort. I'll add the rest after a week of fermentation.

Well, that's that.

My first foray into DME-only brewing is in the keg; Indy Cherry Wheat. It's got an OG of 1.070, so it's gonna have some kick when all is said and done!

I'm gonna make sure I save a good amount of it for RibFest in July, especially if it turns out well.

Updates as the situation warrants.

FedoraDave-I must say the "crack" cookies sound rather intriguing .Good luck on your first foray into using DME.I just love the stuff and it really complements the MB recipes.Let us know how it goes.

The weather is just a tired excuse by their shoddy customer service. It was just Northern Brewer trying to shaft you out of your products. They're just dishonest and trying to cause you issues, and then just throwing it in your face by saying 'We'll deliver it when we damn well are ready to deliver it!" or something like that... ;)

Quick! Drink a Home Brew! You're comming down with a case of "Kenny-itis"! The only cure is a home brew and common sence. :stout:

swenocha wrote:

The weather is just a tired excuse by their shoddy customer service. It was just Northern Brewer trying to shaft you out of your products. They're just dishonest and trying to cause you issues, and then just throwing it in your face by saying 'We'll deliver it when we damn well are ready to deliver it!" or something like that... ;)

Kenny?! Is that you?

dammit

Thanks for the laugh, swen! :laugh: :laugh:

swenocha wrote:

So... Coors Light isn't a cure? ;)

No, infact, that may be the cause. Quick man! Save yourself!! :stout:

more beer here wrote:

FedoraDave-I must say the "crack" cookies sound rather intriguing .Good luck on your first foray into using DME.I just love the stuff and it really complements the MB recipes.Let us know how it goes.

Heh. :blush:

I have to make sure I stress in a public forum that they're just chocolate chip cookies made from scratch. No illicit pharmaceuticals are involved.

But man! These things are addictive! Hence the title "chocolate chip and crack cookies" bestowed on them by a friend of ours. If Mrs. Fields and Famous Amos had a love child, and it somehow acquired superhero powers, it would want to be my wife's cookies when it grew up. That's how good they are. Interestingly, her maiden name is Baker. She lives up to it, let me tell you.

Ah,I knew it was something like that.We all know and have heard of cracks addictive properties and I knew that your wife's cookies had to have some kind of addictive properties hence the name.Just promise us that you will limit your cookie intake as we do not want to hear that your in C.C.A. ( I'm Fedora Dave and I'm a Crack Cookie Addict !-Hi FedoraDave !!).

Yeah, Crack Cookies and Home Brew! I'm addicted to both.

Which means I need a 24-step program, and there are 24 bottles in a case ... D'OH!

FedoraDave wrote:

Well, that's that.

My first foray into DME-only brewing is in the keg; Indy Cherry Wheat. It's got an OG of 1.070, so it's gonna have some kick when all is said and done!

I'm gonna make sure I save a good amount of it for RibFest in July, especially if it turns out well.

Unless I missed it you haven't said yet what time we should be there for Ribfest.

FedoraDave, this is most excellent. I love this stuff, thanks for the update. Glad you got the dme on the first try! It is fun, right ... I screwed up the first, but the second went well yesterday, and I put the flash light on the fermenter this afternoon, and it's fermentorama ... Krausen city ...

I'm glad you posted this ... I love this stuff.

gophers6 wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

Well, that's that.

Unless I missed it you haven't said yet what time we should be there for Ribfest.

Hey, I get up and start the fire around 6:00 am or so. You can show up anytime, although we eat around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. ;)

I was under the impression that chocolate chip cookies ARE crack for women. My wife's fav T-shirt just says "gimme your chocolate and nobody gets hurt".