Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RiverRatRandy

Ingredient Storage?

Now that I'm getting a bit of a pipeline established, I find that I'm also accumulating ingredients in my kitchen. Some of these are pretty much beer specific items left over from one batch that can and will go into future batches. Some of these items, though, may not end up being used for weeks or maybe even months.

So....

What's the best way to store hops? I've been keeping mine in the fridge, which is what I found they also do at my LHBS. However, I've read that some folks keep theirs in the freezer. I would guess that might be prudent for extended periods of time?

I'm also keeping my yeast in the fridge. Is that a good or bad idea? I would think if kept in the fridge, it should be set out to warm up a bit before being pitched into a wort. At least that's what I've doing. On the other hand, I don't see a great need for refrigerating yeast, so I'm not sure why I've been doing that. Thoughts?

As of today, I have a half ounce each of sweet orange peel and lemon peel that I bought packaged from my LHBS. They are both in resealable packets and were on the shelf in the store. If I'm going to keep them a while before using them in a future batch, I wonder if I should store them in the fridge. They're dried or dehydrated, so I'm not sure it's necessary, but it may be a while before I have a chance to use them. Fruit type stuff doesn't always do well in refrigeration, but it isn't like it's fresh fruit.

I'm just keeping my milled crystal malt in a paper bag in a cabinet. I don't see any need for special storage for that. It's just dried grain, essentially.

Some of these things aren't particularly expensive, but I don't like to waste things - mostly money. Making batch after batch, it begins to add up. Plus, getting to the LHBS isn't terribly convenient for me most of the time. So, I figure I need to make sure I'm storing all this stuff in optimal conditions.

Keep your hops in the fridge at a minimum. I've never kept them long enought to have to freeze them. Need to talk to someone else about that.
What kind of yeast are we talking here? Dry? Wet? Keep them in the fridge regardless. it keeps them dormant.
I'd keep the dryed fruit in a ziplock in addition to the bags they're in. And keep them refrigerated.
The milled crystal malt needs to get sealed up. Once milled, they normally don't last long. And if they are just kept in a paper bag in the cabinet, no telling what may grow in them. Again, zip lock bag or beetter ~fridge.
just my two shinners worth. :stout:

Thanks for the advice.

I questioned myself on the grains, since they've already been milled, but wasn't sure. Guess I'll seal 'em up.

I keep my hops in a vacuum ziploc (sort of like a seal a meal, but with a hand operated vacuum pump) in the freezer. I bought a pound of them, so I need to keep them for a while.

I keep my yeast (all dry) in the fridge.

I don't have the other ingredients you've got, but I'd think that in general, you want to store them protected from air, moisture and warmth, so refrigerator or freezer in airtight containers (with as much air removed as you can) would work best in most cases.

my lhbs sell hops in vacuum sealed 1 oz packages. Its almost 30 minutes away so I buy a few different kinds whenever I go and keep them in the freezer just in case I need them.

These are good questions, especially about the hops. I get them in the 1oz packages but Mr. Beer Recipes usually call for about a third of that. I roll up the rest in a zip-lock bag and put it in the fridge. Hold long will that keep?

For the Mr. Beer hops that come with a recipe, do they need to be in the fridge before opening? I got some that look like just enough for the recipe and they are sealed.

If you are not going to use them right away, yep, toss them in the fridge. If you're gonna do it right now, no point. Boil the little buggars to death. :stout: