Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ruz

Linebacker Dopple Bock

Hey Guys,

I decided to make the Linebacker Dopple Bock my first attempted brew. I went to my stepsons house 2 weeks ago and helped him with a batch of WCPA and after seeing how easy Mr.B makes everything I felt confident that I could start with my deluxe refill instead of my WCPA. I like dark beers personally.
My area for fermenting has been staying in the 65-67 degree range for a few weeks now and I decided I couldn't keep staring at my kit boxes sitting there any longer. I brewed it up yesterday morning and when it
was sitting in the fermenter my brewometer on the Mr.B was reading roughly 62 degrees. It sat like that all day, then when I got up this morning I was very happy to see that the temp on the brewometer had risen to 66 degrees and the yeast was definitely doing more than it had ALL DAY YESTERDAY. I was told that even though my fermenting temps should be around 68-70 degrees that my beer will still ferment at around 66 degrees but that I may just have to ferment for a little longer than normal. Is this true? I planned on letting it ferment for a minimum of 14 days. Do you think I should let it sit longer due to my lower than normal fermenting temps? Once I do bottle should I let it sit in the fridge for 2 more weeks or can I let it sit in bottles in my basement(50-60 degrees) for 2 weeks and then condition for about another 2-4 weeks in the basement.
I strictly used the ingredients that came with the refill.1 can HME 1 can UME no adjuncts.
I've been doing a lot of "strictly reading" on the forum for over a week now but I haven't seen too much about brewing results within my fermenting temp range. I also used the Mr.B yeast that came with the refill. Any insight or previous experience with these temp ranges would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance..I love this site!
-Ruz

Welcome to the Borg Ruz.
I think you will be just fine. You might try covering the fermenting keg with a thick towel to retain a little extra warmth during the ferment. Can you see and foam floating on top of the brew? (don't open the cover, just peer through the side of the keg, use a flashlight if you need to) That will be the tell-tale sign that the yeast is doing its thing (it's called the Krausen) and fermentation has begun. Generally the Mr.B yeast seems to be pretty hardy and I don't think a few degrees will affect it. let it go 2 weeks.

Ok, now bottling. After you bottle (be sure to sanitize bottles) left them sit at room temp for 2 weeks. This is where the carbonation happens. It has to be room temp for the yeast to eat the table sugar you will bottle with and thus carb the beer.

Now after those 2 weeks in the bottles at room temp, you can move them to the cooler basement for another 2 weeks (conditioning phase). That is the basic 2-2-2 week technique.

After that you can let them sit in the basement and just chill a few at a time in the fridge before drinking. best would be 4 weeks in the basement, but I know it's hard to wait that long.

Welcome and never fear, we have :gulp:

That's about the same temp as I get. Sometimes I have to go beyond the 2 weeks, but not by much. As for priming--I'd use a bit less priming sugar than the MB instructions say. I'd go 3/4 tbs or less per bottle.

Detroitpete wrote:

That's about the same temp as I get. Sometimes I have to go beyond the 2 weeks, but not by much. As for priming--I'd use a bit less priming sugar than the MB instructions say. I'd go 3/4 tbs or less per bottle.

I was thinking no more than 17 days in the fermenter myself,honestly,plus my favorite # is 17. I'll see where I'm at on day 14 though. As for the priming sugar do you mean 3/4 tbs for the 1L Mr.B bottles that came with the kit or 3/4 tbs for a 12oz bottle? I'm using the 1L Mr.B bottles that came with my kit.

Blatzman thank you for clearing up my time table question for me.Also thank you for alerting me to my first Krausen :woohoo: . It is indeed there and seems to be about 1/8 in thick at the center of the fermenter!
-Dave

My beer ferments at 66 degrees. I can do an HME, UME and half a cup of sugar in 2 weeks.

Very happy to hear that several other brews have made it a 66 degrees fermenting. I just took a peak at the fermentation area temp and it's at 68 degrees.
-Ruz

Ruz--should have not assumed here--sorry. I use 16oz bottles. MB instructions say to use 1tbs cane sugar per 16 oz bottles and I've found that it overcarbs a bit

Hey Ruz, I made this beer for my second batch with creamy dark UME and booster. Dark beers are my fav as well. Unfortunately, I opened the HME last and for lack of a better word- it looked and stuck to the side of the can like tar.I had already poured the UME and didn't have any more supplies to change to. So I scraped it out and tryed anyway. It mixed well and didn't clump so I thought I was fine.( I sat them both in hot water before opening but it didn't matter). Anyway, I bottled after 14 days, conditioned (warm) for 5 weeks,put in the fridge for a couple nights, and was heartbroken because it tasted medicinal and way off. I have made several other batches since with no probs. Hope yours turns out. I would like to know if it's worth making again. I always check the experation dates now! Brew on!

scott 31 wrote:

Hey Ruz, I made this beer for my second batch with creamy dark UME and booster. Dark beers are my fav as well. Unfortunately, I opened the HME last and for lack of a better word- it looked and stuck to the side of the can like tar.I had already poured the UME and didn't have any more supplies to change to. So I scraped it out and tryed anyway. It mixed well and didn't clump so I thought I was fine.( I sat them both in hot water before opening but it didn't matter). Anyway, I bottled after 14 days, conditioned (warm) for 5 weeks,put in the fridge for a couple nights, and was heartbroken because it tasted medicinal and way off. I have made several other batches since with no probs. Hope yours turns out. I would like to know if it's worth making again. I always check the experation dates now! Brew on!

So what was the expiration date?

Just started to drink last Dopplebock that is (was) almost 5 months old. Damn it's a good beer. The Borg made me drink it. I have a decent pipeline and hold off 1 or 2 bottles (PET) just for a taste test. Pet bottle was still rock hard for those worried about Plastic. Oldest beer made it to 6 months just once. If you put in 2 oz of Molasses the longer it sits all the flavors blend together.

:woohoo:

Update....It's been 1 week today in the fermenter. I had a krausen from day 2 till around day 5 then it got very thin and as of now is very spotty. I have just about 1/2 inch of traub on the bottom and my brewometer is now at 66*. It went from 62* at first day of fermenting up to 66* at day 2, then after day 4 it fell back to 62-63* and once again back to 66* for the last 3 days. This is my first brew so I have no idea what to expect. I'm being patient and I will find out how I did with my fermenting in about another week. Any input from this update would be greatly appreciated.
-Ruz

This is a prime example of why I say : "Get a Hydrometer".
With that one, you'll need to blindly let it set 10~14 days and then give it a taste test. Remember, this is a "live" critter your dealing with. Strange things happen. :stout:

I do have a hydrometer but wasn't sure when I should take my sample?

What was your OG?
give it no less than 10 days. then take a sample, and when you're done with it, dump it in a bottle for a sattilight sample, and test that till it bottoms out. Or, if it's done, drink it. :stout:

I haven't taken a reading yet...yikes!

As I write this I am enjoying a stock Linebacker Dopple Bock. It is excellent. I wanted to try it stock and I am very pleased.

A great choice for a first brew. Welcome to the Borg.

Hopefully I'll make the same claim in about another 5 weeks at testing time :D . I went to one of our local breweries yesterday www.rockartbrewery.com to partake in their taste sampling that they offer...yummy! I was able to pick up (2) 1/2 gallon jugs of my favorite seasonal brew from them, Midnight Madness Smoked Porter. They charge $10.00 on your first visit for your 1/2 gallon jug (beer + bottle + deposit) then it's just $6.00 for a refill after that, plus If I can find a better cap for the jug I plan to fill it with my own brew when it comes bottling time. They also give you a cool glass,during your tastings, for $3.00 which makes a perfect "sample" glass for when you taste your own brew for bottling readiness. I will try to download some pictures of the jugs...heh..heh the glasses and the caps for the jugs so you guys can give your opinion on using them for bottling.
-Ruz

Hope this works...sorry about the quality..cheap camera. RockArtBrew.JPG

Thanks...I thought so. They call them "Growlers" at the brewery and I plan on going back with my stepson soon to take the brewery tour...and to partake once again in some sampling! Oh and least not forget to have my Growlers re-filled ;)
-Ruz

Very nice Ruz,

If perchance you hear some wisdom about that smoked porter from a brewmaster; share it with your friends here.

I've brewed 130 batches so far, and I purposely keep brew temp on ales at 66*.

As for the 1/2 gallon jugs, they do make plastic screw caps. My LHBS sells then for about 80 cents each.

I know Norther Brewer sells 1 gallon & 1/2 gallon jugs, but not the screw caps.... they sell rubber stoppers instead. I wouldn't trust the stopper with carbonated beer. Check around your LHBS's for the plastic screw caps.

Thanks for the info guys and if the brewmaster "spills" the news about his brews I shurely will share the info.
-Ruz

Sorry, I forgot to look at the exp. date as I didn't know they even had one at the time. I just assumed that was the problem at the time. I have since tryed the beer and now seems better. I guess maybe my taste buds suck or something. Also, I live way up north where its cold as hell in the winter. I had problems with my fermenting temp as well. I found an extension cord with a built in thermostat at my local hardware store, plugged it into a treble light, problems solved. It ran me around 50.00 but now I don't have to worry about it. I can give you the model and manu. #'s if you would like. I set it at 70, it turns on at 69 and shuts off again at 70 so it works pretty good.