Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tabasco

floaties and flatties ... eh

One batch, that I boiled hops into (pellets), yah I guess most of it settled into trub, but after bottling, when you move the bottle, and look in, you see ... asteroids!

Another batch, that is done with two week carb, carbed with carb tabs, is very ... flat ... I got carb tabs that said three, four of five per 12 oz bottle, and I went with 4. I'm tellin ya I think I'm gonna just be using granulated sugar, maybe corn sugar, tabs I found no easier to put in bottle, anyway.

A batch I cooked up last night I boiled the hops in using sacks, WTF, they're $.50 each. I did a bitter 60min and a flavor 20min sack in the boil. I should have done an aroma with a minute or two to go, and left in in wort into fermenter ... I'll try that next time

If your interested in the tabs try the coopers tabs. It sounds to me like you used the muntons which some people have had some trouble with in the past. The coopers are bigger and you use one drop per 12 oz bottle or three for the 1 litre pet bottles. I have used them several times and when I dont batch prime I grab those.

Thisis a picture of my beer carbed with the coopers tabs.

And as for the floaties they will sink to the bottom of your bottles as well just give them a couple days in the fridge and pour gently and leave the last little bit with the sediment in the bottle.

crazybrody wrote:

If your interested in the tabs try the coopers tabs. It sounds to me like you used the muntons which some people have had some trouble with in the past. The coopers are bigger and you use one drop per 12 oz bottle or three for the 1 litre pet bottles. I have used them several times and when I dont batch prime I grab those.

Thisis a picture of my beer carbed with the coopers tabs.

And as for the floaties they will sink to the bottom of your bottles as well just give them a couple days in the fridge and pour gently and leave the last little bit with the sediment in the bottle.

Can the tabs be broken in half if you're using 16 oz bottles?

Im sure they can be, but I would use one tab and just have a little less carbonation. They are on the high side of carbonation at one per 12 oz bottle, not over carbed just highly carbed. So one for 16oz would be good.

Thanks for the tip. Yah I think it was Munton's tabs. I'll try the Coopers if I find them anywhere.

Also, I'm wondering if these asteroid floaties are the Irish Moss I used. It's supposed to make a clearer brew, but hmmmmmm?