Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bigd

Nectarine IPA final recipe. Brewing tomorrow!

Ah, gotta love the anticipation of brew day! :)

Finally got my recipe down to a T. Gonna brew this bad boy up tomorrow. Got the house to myself and will have NO distractions. Can't have any of those for this one because it's got a good bit of timing involved.

Very excited to do this one. It's definately the most experimental batch to date. I came up with this one all by myself too. My LHBS guy gave me a couple pointers but as far as the recipe, I came up with it myself. If this turns out good, I will be very proud :laugh:

So here ya go. This is the final recipe. Any thoughts or comments are welcome as always. Brew on!

Nectarine IPA

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 2.13 gal
Brewer: Doug Heavner
Boil Size: 2.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Briess Pilsen Light DME (2.0 SRM) Dry Extract 11.63 %
3.30 lb Briess Golden Light LME (4.0 SRM) Extract 76.74 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.63 %
0.25 oz Citra [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.8 IBU
0.25 oz Citra [11.00 %] (40 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
0.25 oz Citra [11.00 %] (20 min) Hops 11.4 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (15.0 min) Misc
0.25 oz Citra [11.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [11.00 %] (0 min) Hops (Aroma & Flavor)
2.00 lb Nectarine Puree (Secondary 5 days) Misc
0.50 oz Citra [11.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.50 %
Bitterness: 50.3 IBU
Est Color: 11.9 SRM

Notes

Steep grains for 30 minutes in 155-160 degrees water (.5 gallon)
Add 2 gallons cold water. Stir in .5 lb DME.
Turn on heat and mix in Golden Light LME.
Bring to boil. After hot break toss in .25 oz Citra hops and start timer for 60 minutes.
At 40 minutes toss in .25 oz Citra hops.
At 20 minutes toss in .25 oz Citra hops.
At 15 minutes toss in .5 tsp Irish Moss.
At 5 minutes toss in .25 oz Citra hops.
At flameout toss in .5 oz Citra hops.
Cool wort in ice bath to around 70 degrees or cooler.
Take OG reading.
Pour into fermenter.
Aerate and pitch yeast.
Let yeast sit for a few minutes, mix, put cap on.

After primary fermentation (5-6 days) Add Nectarine puree and dry hops.
Let sit for 5 days.

After you're done brewing that up tomorrow you'll have to let us know how the cooking went. Sounds good, though. Good luck with it.

Yeah I'm geeked about this recipe. I love Nectarines and IPAs are obviously my favorite beers. Really curious to see how they go with the Citra hops.

First batch using Citra too. Excited bout that as well.

Hope this one is ready for next month, April 18. There's a big homebrewers gathering at my local craft beer bar and I want to take this one, Fat Stinky Cat Imperial IPA, and Kickasscade Pale Ale to it. Get some real beer drinkers' opinions to help me perfect my brewing methods.

I'll keep you guys posted with this Nectarine IPA.

Cheers!

April 18th? Wow, I'd be shocked if it was conditioned enough by then. If you're only talking about more experienced guys than us taste testing, OK, but if this is some type of competition, that probably isn't enough time.

I would think it'll take longer than April 18th to get this one where you want it, but maybe enough to know whether it's a keeper or not.

This recipe looks good. I like an occasional IPA, but it's not my mainstay. However, I could see cutting this down to a lower IBU and having some broad appeal. I think you're going to like the Citra. Unless I'm way off, I believe it will go well with the nectarine.

Good luck with this one. You have the makings of a big brew here.

Might be fine IPA's is okay to drink young you will get more from the hops from what I have read. The aroma and some hop flavors can fade with time but im no expert.

This beer will be SUPER fresh on April 18. I will explain that to them haha.

And as far as conditioning time, jcmccoy is right. IPAs are great fresh because the hop flavor and aroma is at it's peak.

I think this beer, however, will be at it's peak at around 2 months. I think the Nectarines and Citra hops will mesh good after about 2 months in the bottle. It'll still have hop kick and the nectarines will mellow out a little.

My goal for this beer is big hop flavor, aroma, and nice bitterness. The Nectarines are to enhance the flavor overall and add a nice sweetness to balance the bitterness a little.

I don't want this beer being overly fruity. My goal is to have a unique taste. The hops should win the battle of flavor and the nectarines should make an appearance to compliment the hops.

And RiverRatRandy, I think I hit my target IBUs on the nose. At around 50. (give or take) it should be a nice IPA an the Nectarines will make the bitterness seem lower.

Will keep ya posted

bigd wrote:

And RiverRatRandy, I think I hit my target IBUs on the nose. At around 50. (give or take) it should be a nice IPA an the Nectarines will make the bitterness seem lower.

Will keep ya posted

I didn't mean to suggest there was anything wrong with what you have. This looks like it should make a good, unique IPA. I only meant to suggest that your recipe could serve as the basis for some tasty variations on the same theme, as well.

Incidentally, my first batch was the Mr. Beer WCPA kit jacked up to an IPA of 63 IBU's. I used some Amber DME and Columbus hops. I doubt I'll make the same thing again, but it was good. My next IPA will hopefully be a little more complex, but I think I need to hone my skills a bit before I'm ready to brew something on the level of your creation.

RiverRatRandy wrote:

bigd wrote:

Will keep ya posted

I didn't mean to suggest there was anything wrong with what you have. This looks like it should make a good, unique IPA. I only meant to suggest that your recipe could serve as the basis for some tasty variations on the same theme, as well.

Incidentally, my first batch was the Mr. Beer WCPA kit jacked up to an IPA of 63 IBU's. I used some Amber DME and Columbus hops. I doubt I'll make the same thing again, but it was good. My next IPA will hopefully be a little more complex, but I think I need to hone my skills a bit before I'm ready to brew something on the level of your creation.

I know you didn't suggest that. I think you might of read my post the wrong way or I typed it in a way that was misinterpreted. I just meant my IBUs are right where I wanted it. It'll be a solid but a little milder IPA and the fruit will make the bitterness seem more like 30-35 IBUs cuz of the sweetness.

My Fat Stinky Cat Imperial IPA has around 85ish IBUs and it's awesome. Bitterness is not a worry of mine. My Kickasscade Pale Ale is on the light side at around 25 IBUs. It has tons of flavor and aroma hops though.

This recipe reads as if it's a super complicated brew but it's mostly just adding the ingredients at the right times.

I'm using the Fermentis SafAle US-05 dry ale yeast again. This is third batch in a row using it. So far I've had great results with it.

I was thinking of using half the 11.5 gram packet but might just use the whole thing like I did in the past 2 batches. Little extra trub don't bother me. I might do the half because I want to see the difference of using less since these packets are made for 5 gallon batches. It's pretty cheap so using all of it isn't much of an issue.

Got my grains, DME, and hops all weighed out to the gram and bagged up ready to go for tomorrow! Can't wait WOOHOO!

WooHOO too.
this does sound good. It is a big beer for sure.
I'm reluctant to try a full 5 gal "big beer".
But I may try something like this soon after useing up the 4 MB kits we have here.
I'm doing a raspberry Irish Red rightnow and may follow your timeing for adding the fruit.

Depending on the yeast your using and if you have a hydrometer, you can probably do it the way I'm adding my fruit.

If your using the MB yeast and don't have a hydrometer, I would wait at LEAST 7-8 days and when the krausen falls to add your fruit.

MB yeast works a bit slower than the SafAle US-05 yeast I'm using.

Just my 2 cents. Let us know how it turns out!

Yeah this was done with MB yeast.
In my 5gal batches a like the Wyeast liquids.
I'm already splitting the yeast and making starters.
So maybe the MB batches will get some of that goodness. B)

Ready to brew!!! :woohoo:

Here's a shitty snapshot of all my ingredients for this batch (minus the Nectarines that will go in after primary). Took the pic with my laptop so it's not great but gives you an idea of what I'm working with. Everything is weighed out to the gram and ready to go! Yeeeeah Booooyeee.

Cheers! Picture0010.JPG

It looks like a lot more hops than it really is. Since they are whole leaf hops, it looks like I have 5 ounces there haha. It's actually 1.5 ounces. In which .5 oz of it is for flameout and strictly for aroma and flavor.

Got the grains steeping as I type. In about 10 minutes I'll take them out and add the rest of my water (2 gallons) then add my .5 oz Pilsen Light DME, mix it in and bring to a boil then add my Golden Light LME and so on and so on as per my recipe.

Boil is on, past hot break, just tossed in my 60 min hops. Smells lovely already. It's only gonna get better smelling in here after the other 1.25 oz of hops goes in throughout the boil. MMMM so awesome.

Can't wait to crack one of these next month

Boil is done, pot is in the sink with 22 lbs of ice and cold water for it's ice bath to cool. Then will pour into fermenter and take my OG reading. Then pitch yeast, put it in the closet, then crack a homebrew B)

All done. Drinking a delicious Fat Stinky Cat Imperial IPA. So rewarding! It's been in the fridge for about a month. Yummm.

Now back to the current brew...

Boy did I have some issues transferring the wort to the fermenter. ICCCCK. Working with whole leaf hops is a bit more complicated with my style of transferring. Pellet hops might be the best way to do it for the boiling.

My OG was 1.063 which is a bit off from the estimated OG of 1.067 but it's because some of the wort splashed out when transferring to the fermenter and also because when I topped off the wort I added a touch too much water. Not a big deal. It'll probably still come out to be around 6% ABV or so.

I also tried something I haven't done before. Which is rehydrate my yeast before pitching it. I simply put a little bit of leftover spring water in a small glass bowl and microwaved it for 10 seconds to make it room temp. Then I mixed in my 6 grams of US-05 dry yeast into it with a sanitized spoon. Got it all nice and creamy and let it sit for 10-15 minutes while I got the fermenter ready for the yeast pitching. Hope it works out nice. I'll probably just stick to pitching it in dry but I thought what the hell and gave it a shot. I'll check it in a few hours to see if krausen has built up yet.

The whole leaf hops were an issue because they get HUGE when boiled and rehydrated. Then when I poured the wort through my metal strainer the wort splashed EVERYWHERE cuz the hops were piled up instantly.

I would get Citra in pellets but my LHBS only has it in whole leaf right now. Oh well. I still think this is gonna be a kick ass brew.

Putting it away for it's primary fermentation right now. Finishing up my delicious homebrew FST Imperial IPA, then watching the boob tube.

Cheers!

I call the day before brewing, Brewer's Eve, because it feels like Christmas to me. Keep us posted on this one Bigd!!! :chug:

Just checked the keg. No real krausen going on yet...

It's been about 7 going on 8 hours, which usually shows a thick creamy layer building up by this point as per previous batches.

This is the first batch I rehydrated the yeast in a little warm water. I'll check it out in the morning. I'm a bit tipsy and tired from hitting up my local craft beer bar :laugh:

Oh how lucky I am to drink some Bell's Hopslam, Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, and Troegs Nugget Nectar. B)

Sleepy time haha. Work in the morning boooo.

Checked the keg this morning before work and there's a nice thick creamy krause. On top. It was like this yesterday as well.

I think it took a little longer to build up like that because I pitched the yeast at a little cooler temp than usual. It was around 66ish and the ferment temp was around the same.

Today the keg was up to 70-72 degrees! Holy moly that yeast is working hard to make it jump up 4-6 degrees higher.

I'm sure later today it'll drop back down to 66ish.

When I put my nose to the cap it sure smelled good lol can't wait till it's done.

Just checked this bad boy a few seconds ago.

Holy sh#t there's alot going on in there :laugh:

I shined a light into the keg and it looked like a hurricane going on in there. The krausen is bubblin' and there stuff swirling around like a tornado. It's freaking awesome.

The temp has been up to 72 now cuz of all the activity, plus the weather has gotten warmer but I think it'll be ok. It'll cool down probably towards the morning and once the activity starts to slow down.

I think if this one comes out as good as I anticipate, I will use half packs of the US-05 instead of the whole thing. Also, mix it in a little room temp water and rehydrate it. It seems to be kicking ass right now.

Smells awesome. All those Citra hops yummm

Sounds good did you do a 5 gal batch or 2.13 gal in a mr beer keg?

bigd wrote:

All done. Drinking a delicious Fat Stinky Cat Imperial IPA. So rewarding! It's been in the fridge for about a month. Yummm.

Now back to the current brew...

Boy did I have some issues transferring the wort to the fermenter. ICCCCK. Working with whole leaf hops is a bit more complicated with my style of transferring. Pellet hops might be the best way to do it for the boiling.

My OG was 1.063 which is a bit off from the estimated OG of 1.067 but it's because some of the wort splashed out when transferring to the fermenter and also because when I topped off the wort I added a touch too much water. Not a big deal. It'll probably still come out to be around 6% ABV or so.

I also tried something I haven't done before. Which is rehydrate my yeast before pitching it. I simply put a little bit of leftover spring water in a small glass bowl and microwaved it for 10 seconds to make it room temp. Then I mixed in my 6 grams of US-05 dry yeast into it with a sanitized spoon. Got it all nice and creamy and let it sit for 10-15 minutes while I got the fermenter ready for the yeast pitching. Hope it works out nice. I'll probably just stick to pitching it in dry but I thought what the hell and gave it a shot. I'll check it in a few hours to see if krausen has built up yet.

The whole leaf hops were an issue because they get HUGE when boiled and rehydrated. Then when I poured the wort through my metal strainer the wort splashed EVERYWHERE cuz the hops were piled up instantly.

I would get Citra in pellets but my LHBS only has it in whole leaf right now. Oh well. I still think this is gonna be a kick ass brew.

Putting it away for it's primary fermentation right now. Finishing up my delicious homebrew FST Imperial IPA, then watching the boob tube.

Cheers!

hey BIGD
I recomend a nylon hop bag. They are great. I use a fine one to filter out the hot break material. Did it last night too and the darn thing almost filled up with break. I made the mistake of shaking it to make it flow thru better. well all I did was help wash it thru. so lots of gunk in the fermenter.

Good luck on this brew. Great thread.

Thanks for the tip. I think I might invest in an auto siphon. Seems like it would work good. It might get clogged with a hop cone though. I don't know haha. Boiling with pellets is way more convenient though I must admit. The whole leaf were awesome till I cooled the wort and realized that there was SO much hops once they expanded from rehydrating.

Small price to pay if the brew turns out really good though B)

So I bought my nectarines today. Gonna let them sit and get a little ripe for a couple days then pasteurize them. puree them, and put them in the fridge the night before I dump them in the fermenter.

Super excited bout this beer. It smelled so good yesterday. The temp came down a good bit since the primary is starting to slow down a bit. Yesterday it was up to 70-72 and when I checked a couple hours ago it was around 66-68.

I'm tellin ya. That Safale US-05 is amazing stuff.

I checked the keg last night before bed and the krausen was almost gone. I bet when I check it later on after work, that it's pretty much gone. I will draw my first FG sample, take a reading and put it in my satellite fermenter.

I think that it will probably hit the FG for sure by tomorrow but I'm going to add the nectarine puree on Monday which will make it 6 days. The krausen should be completely gone by then and the yeast will start cleaning the beer up which I think will be perfect time to add the nectarine puree into it for 5 days.

Also with the nectarines will be an ounce of whole leaf Citra for the dry hop.

This beer just makes me giddy thinking of the final product haha

Took the first FG reading. It's been 4 and a half days so it could change a little in a day or two.

My OG was 1.063 (off by .004 from projected 1.067)

FG sample I just took was 1.017 (exact as projected)

Now, I think (hope) that it drops to around 1.013-1.014 to get closer to my ABV range. Doesn't really matter that much. As it stands from my readings its at 6% which is nice. The projected ABV was 6.5% so its not that bad really.

It has alot of yeast in it so I believe it will ferment a little more. I think by Monday it'll be ready for the fruit and my FG will be reached.

I don't really know how much the pureed fruit will affect my overall estimated ABV and I don't care. I'm using a satellite fermenter to keep tabs on the FG. So I'll just go by the OG and FG from the satellite fermenter.

I'll keep ya updated on it. It really SUCKS that I have a bad cold right now and couldn't even smell it when I took the sample. Can't wait to take a little taste and smell of it when this damn cold goes away!

I somehow missed this thread. Wow, this sounds great, bigD. I wouldn't mind you sending a bottle this way (for further analysis and quality control... just tryin' to help out...)! ;)

If your ever in Pittsburgh gimme a shout! Sounds like we are a couple big hopheads that are always trying to brew the perfect hopsterpiece.

I'll be in Pittsburgh April 23-24 for the Steelers Fan Blitz...maybe I can get one of those outstanding beers BigD :woohoo:
Hope the brew turns out for ya D it sound awesome!

Well I'm preparing the fresh nectarines that I just cut up (what a pain in the ass :laugh: )

Had to cut them and rip the chunks off the core which was kinda tricky but I got it done.

Now I'm bringing my water up to a boil then going to let it cool to around 150-160 degrees then put the cut up chunks of fresh nectarines in the hot water for 15-20 mins to pasteurize them.

I've read that this isn't all that neccesary for a beer that is above 5% ABV cuz the higher alcohol and yeast will win the battle against any bacterias on the fruit, but I feel what the hell. I'm gonna puree them and I might as well have some peace of mind that they have at least MOST of any bacterias killed so I shouldn't have any problems.

Will keep you guys that are interested up to date on this. These nectarines smell SOOO good. I hope it imparts a little of that heavenly aroma to the already awesome aroma of the Citra hops.

P.S. I got some of my sense of smell/taste back cuz my cold is letting up finally! I tasted the beer tonight and it was pretty freaking good.

Cheers!

Well, to see some more on this brew check out my other post "Well...Hope I didn't F#@% this up! " :laugh:

I'm freakin' out a little cuz this is looking kinda crazy right now. Hoping I didn't totally ruin this batch. Only time will tell.

I'm letting this sit till next Sunday (one week) cuz it appears adding the fruit striked up a little more fermentation and the yeast look like they got excited again.

At worst if this beer doesn't turn out right, it'll be beer with 6%+ ABV so I'll still drink it lol. If it turns out good then I might be on to something since I have yet to see a Nectarine IPA!

BigD's Nectarine IPA first pour:

5347564805_e06d10c3d8_b.jpg

BigD warned that some of the bottles gushered on him, and that some had pulp. No gusher and no pulp here. Very, very clean pour. Orange/amber and very see-through. Nice. Carb is very good, a small white head is lingering (a bit of lacing). Aroma is nectarine mostly. Flavor has a subtle nectarine and a nice citrus (Citra, right?). Good bitter, and a solid malt backbone. Really liking this. A very nice IPA... Glad I got the chance to taste it...

It's not easy to balance the fruit flavors with the extra hops an IPA calls for.

The least successful batch I ever made was the Berry Pacific Strawberry Pale Ale; I mixed some strawberries in with WCPA, and every bottle was a little different. I had some volcanoes when I opened them, but only a couple. Some were really pretty good, with a good blending of the sweet and the bitter, and some I was barely able to choke down.

Maybe nectarines are less volatile than strawberries, or maybe BigD's recipe was more fruit-friendly. In any case, good job, Doug! It's a pretty looking beer, and Swen's description is indicative of a successful starting point should you want to refine it a little more. Thanks for the pic and the review, Charles.

Doug says it was more fruit up-front early, but it has mellowed (this was 10 months in the bottle at this point).

Thanks for the positive feedback and nice pour pic.

This beer definitely got about 10x better after it matured. The fruit was very dominant early on but mellowed a bit in the flavor (remained strong in the aroma) and the Citra hops made it's way forward more to compliment the nectarine flavor. With a clean pour like Swen had, the taste is quite delicious and complex. Hoppy with a kick of fruit in it without being too sweet. With a trub pour it's still good buy has a off flavor with the yeastiness and "homebrew" aftertaste.

Very pleased with the result after 10 months. Wish I didn't drink half of them young lol. Live and learn. I'd do this again if it wasn't such a bitch to prep the nectarines and the clean up was pretty bad lol.