Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
PmdBama

First Success

Well, following the advice on this forum helps. Just taste-tested the last two batches even though it's about a week early for both.

First up was the Brew Ha Ha. Still had that Mr. Beer twang that has been driving me crazy (and about drove me away from Mr. Beer altogether.) The Mr. Beer taste is so frustrating. To me it's so noticeable that it seems like all mr. beer is the same with subtle differences.

Frustrated, I cracked a bottle of a little recipe I came up with myself using OVL, LME and a **% ton of cascade hops. To anyone reading this who's been frustrated with the Mr. Beer twang, i'm telling you, HOPS are the solution. The taste is still noticeable, but I'm obviously on the right track. Head retention was amazing as well.

I hear a lot about the twang from anyone who brews with LME. It doesn't have to be that way and there are ways around it like you found out ...hops help, I think that steeping grains help too.

Without additions, I think that trying to get the freshest LME you can (ordering straight from MR. Beer helps) helps a lot and making sure you follow the instructions for heating the UME (remove from heat before adding).

Adding hops, some grains, fresh LME/UME, and mixing the liquids together off the heat do help reduce that twang.

PS: Remove from heat just for mixing in the LME/UME, of course you have to put it back on the burner if you're bittering from hops additions.