Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ronnydobbs

Twisted Tea Recipe???

I have a ton of booster lying around and instead of trying the Hard Lemonade Recipe, I was wondering if anyone knew of a Hard Iced Tea recipe that might work using the booster.

I tried searching and couldn't find anything helpful.

My last "Hard Lemonade" came out tasting almost identical to a hard lemon tea. I would think about making additions to this, maybe even adding soem tea leaves at some point.

1 pack booster
1.5 Golden Light DME
1/2 lb Lactose
Juice of 12 lemons and 2 Lime
1 cup Brown Sugar
Safale US-05

I was thinking about adding the tea to the wort (steeping the tea). Maybe I should cut a little back on the lemons (probably keep the limes since that sounds good).

Do you think the DME makes a big difference or could I substitute for more booster?

I tried a tea beer back about a year ago. I do NOT recommend it...tea is naturally full of tannins, and tannins and beer do not mix well. It was so astringent it would turn your head inside out.

I think this may be one of those situations where the big guys use a lot of money and science and artificial chemistry to create something that just won't work well naturally.

Good Luck.

David

Well in that case, maybe leave the tea out and use my recipe with less lemon like you said. Honestly, it tastes so similar to a hard VERY lemon tea, its sad that I was trying to make lemonade lol. I would leave out the additional booster. According to Sirius in my thread about the lemonade, we agreed that the ADDITIONAL DME added to the tea flavor since he used much more booster than I.

Thanks for the responses and the warnings, Sirius is probably right with the artificial flavoring and DME probably was the ingredient that mimics the tea flavor in the recipe.

Thanks again, guys!

My suggestion would be to brew something like the lemonade, but brew it strong and carbonate it high. Then cut it with iced tea of your choice in the glass. Might work.