Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
swenocha

#13: HopSlop IPA

... to nail down and perfect the beer that I see being my pipeline regular (a citrusy IPA, similar in nature to Alpha King) is back in progress. After weighing my options and considering what I wanted to brew today, and after looking at ingredients on hand, the Citra hops were just staring at me, saying "use me! use me!" and the other ingredients seemed to agree.

Thus, cut #3 at the IPA. I've been happy with the two IPAs I've done thus far, and I have ADIPA in the bottle for seven days, but I really want one with the citrus pop in flavor and aroma that the first two are a bit lacking in. I've learned a lot on here since those first two efforts, so I think that this one might be it...

Crystal 10 is on the steep right now... Here's the rest of the recipe. Speak now if you have suggestions or see flaws:

HopSlop IPA (as yet unnamed)
-----------------------
Brewer: Swenocha
Style: Imperial IPA
Batch: 2.40 galExtract

Characteristic
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.060 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 79 IBU
Recipe Color: 11° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.015
Alcohol by Volume: 5.8%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.5%

Ingredients
-----------
Briess DME - Sparkling Amber 1.37 lb, Extract, Extract
Crystal 10L 0.42 lb, Grain, Steeped
Light LME 2.00 lb, Extract, Extract

Centennial 0.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Centennial 0.50 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Citra 0.50 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Citra 0.50 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Citra 1.00 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes

Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast,
Irish Moss 0.50 unit, Fining,
Maltodextrin 1.00 unit, Other,

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:

Steep crushed grains at 155 for 30 min
Strain grains, run the additional water thru grains.
Set to boil. Add DME. Start the hop sched.
Maltodextrin and Irish moss at 15 min.
Cut from boil. Add LME
ice bath after boil. to fermenter. stir, pitch, stir

Mmmmm.... Sweet hoppy goodness... Half of the Centennial just went in for their 60 minute bath... Bitter!

I hope basketball doesn't make me miss a boil over... ;)

Citra and Centennial in for the twenty. Flavor!

Wow... First time I smelled the Citra. That's some heavy grapefruit. Rock on!

Very nice can't wait to see how this one turns out. I am on the same mission with yea, I love the alpha king citrus hop kick I would love to know how to make that flavor/aroma!

I'm intentionally straying from FFF's hop choices (Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior) by using the Citra. But BigD has talked Citra up so much, I just had to give it a go... ;)

Just pitched...

Sounds good. I am tasting mr first tasting Thursday of an IPA using citra hops,can't wait. I also used Simcoe and Cascade.

That, my 13th batch, was quite possibly the smoothest, cleanest go that I've had thus far. Not a hiccup, not a blip, though my OG (1.054) is not near what QBrew estimates (1.064). I'll attribute some of that to the fact that the LME I selected in QBrew might not match the MountMellick Light LME I used, or I might have mis-weighed it. I know I was precise with all of the other ingredients. Or maybe not. No worries, though, either way...

Where did you fill the keg to? Not sure how you guesstimated where 2.25 gallons would turn out but maybe the OG was off due to filling it up a little more than stated. Just below the Q is 2.4 gallons or so.

Yeah, good call. That was a typo, which explains about half of the OG difference...

Where do your get your hops from? I would like to get my hands some some warrior and citra hops for my next IPA

I visit either All Seasons or Rebel in person (both sell online and have Citra... Rebel is 25% cheaper, but All Seasons is something like 1/2 hour closer, so...), or order from Mr. B (though they don't carry Citra).

You could always go for the Dogfish Head 60 min IPA clone hop schedule from BYO (I'm thinking of trying this):

Hop Schedule (for 5 gal) - 60 IBU

3/4 oz. - Warrior - 60 to 35 min. continuous*
1/3 oz. - Simcoe - 35 to 25 min. continuous*
3/4 oz. - Palisade - 25 to 0 min. continuous*
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - dry hop
1/2 oz. - Simcoe - dry hop
1/2 oz. - Glacier - dry hop

* slowly add the measured amount of hops over the time listed into the boil

If you're brewing enough that hops in quantity make sense, hopsdirect.com is pretty inexpensive.

There's also a guy selling Cascade hop pellets on ebay for a really low price (I haven't checked lately, but he was selling them last I checked).

Coming in a little late on this.
BTW looks good.
When I first read the subject I was thinking what kind of STAR TREK TOS spin on beer am I getting into here... :ohmy:

1 oz Citra dry hop! BAM! Choke on that, fat boy!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

swenocha wrote:

1 oz Citra dry hop! BAM! Choke on that, fat boy!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Guess I shouldn't have been so happy about this dry hop. Bottling was filled with cloggy goodness. To the point that I couldn't clear the clog, so I sanitized the heck out of my hand/arm, tilted the fermenter waaayyyy back, opened the top, and exchanged the spigot with another freshly sanitized spigot. Made it the rest of the way through with that one, though it was a little cloggy by the end. The last 8ish bottles are marked trub as a result of shaking things up a touch, though. I hope I didn't screw up the last portion of the batch...

Sooo... the question at hand is... did I approach the unclearable clog dilemma correctly, or was there a better way I could have handled this? I bottle primed this time, but I suppose getting an auto-siphon and batch priming would have been the cleanest way to handle it, but I don't currently have an auto-siphon (though I guess I could have done the ol' manual siphon)... Thoughts?

On a brighter note, the tasting of this one is amazing. Really looking forward to it, but will likely bag the hops next go around...

Hmm... I guess no one has encountered this before. I guess I'll just wait a few weeks and see how it turns out...

i actually just picked up an auto-siphon and secondary 3gal carboy this week and used for the first time. this may not be directly related to your question, but definitely you could have had a cleaner bottled product if you had racked it to another bottling vessel. the auto-siphon i got (fermtech) has a little cover on the tip that you can adjust to let in more of less stuff in the liquid going up the tube.

Agree. Most of the time, I've been batch priming, but that still would have led to the same result moving to the secondary via spigot as it did moving to bottle via spigot. I need to get a siphon alternative, especially in the coming weeks when my mead is ready in my 1 gallon fermenter...

Finally getting to a tester bottle for this one. The wife bought some of those little plastic wine bottles for an outdoor party, and thus I have yet another great tester bottle choice. This is a trubby...

Here's the pour:

4589904649_8d01df662f_o.jpg
(note my poor, beat up Sammy glass... sniff...)

First things first. Huge grapefruit aroma from the Citra. Very clear... This (I think) was my first Irish Moss and it shows. Small white head, gentle lacing upon the drink. Moderate carbonation. Taste is very bitter (in a good way) and very grapefruit from citra. I'm really gonna like this one, though I think in future cuts I'll cut the citra in half and cut a piney hop in to give it some complexity. Live and learn...

Oh, and I picked up that same auto-siphon mentioned earlier in the thread for the next time I get a sloppy mess at bottling (and to get the mead out of my 1 gallon). But, I'm pretty relieved that this trub bottle tastes so good. I was worried I might have contaminated this one since I had to mess with it so much...

Whoo-hoo!

swenocha wrote:

First things first. Huge grapefruit aroma from the Citra. Very clear... This (I think) was my first Irish Moss and it shows. Small white head, gentle lacing upon the drink. Moderate carbonation. Taste is very bitter (in a good way) and very grapefruit from citra. I'm really gonna like this one, though I think in future cuts I'll cut the citra in half and cut a piney hop in to give it some complexity. Live and learn...

Did any of the other fruity flavours from the Citra ever develop or is the grapefruit all you got?

Haven't tried another yet... I've got some growlers of Yazoo in the fridge that needed more immediate attention first. I'll let you know tonight or tomorrow... ;)

4630294220_0268f5abb1_b.jpg

Damn if this isn't good... Here's my first non-tester pour.

Carbonation on my previous beers were generally a bit higher than I wanted. This was probably the first one I went away from Mr. B recommendations and cut down on the priming sugar to great success. Pretty bitter (81 IBU), but I like that. Heavy Citra aroma. To answer the question posed, though, it's mostly grapefruit and bitter on the flavor/aroma. I'm still sticking with the thought on the earlier pour that I'd likely cut the Citra in half across the board and sub in Simcoe or Chinook for a piney complexity, and maybe mix up the specialty grains to get a touch more sweet. May try to get a touch more body next time as well.

I love having the chance to improve and expand on what is already pretty darn good. Tis a great hobby...

I welcome all thoughts and recommendations...

Looks like a tasty brew Swen. I'm a big fan of the IPA but have never tasted a citrus type. That is until I made one by mistake (or without trying actually). Without going into too much detail, it's a HCCD,Mellow Amb UME,1 lb Amber DME and Booster with 1/2 oz Amarillo at 60 mins and 1/2 oz Amarillo at 20 mins. HOLY GRAPEFRUIT!! Real flavorful and nice aroma. Gotta love making a beer style that you've never tasted before. And believe me, I've tasted a lot of beer!! ;)

swenocha wrote:

You could always go for the Dogfish Head 60 min IPA clone hop schedule from BYO (I'm thinking of trying this):

Hop Schedule (for 5 gal) - 60 IBU

3/4 oz. - Warrior - 60 to 35 min. continuous*
1/3 oz. - Simcoe - 35 to 25 min. continuous*
3/4 oz. - Palisade - 25 to 0 min. continuous*
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - dry hop
1/2 oz. - Simcoe - dry hop
1/2 oz. - Glacier - dry hop

* slowly add the measured amount of hops over the time listed into the boil

Awesome info! I love that beer. Now if I could just find the clone for Founders Centennial IPA, I would be set for life. :laugh: Also when I read your recipe, I knew the citra would be strong. It is like grapefruit BIG time! I would def want the centennial to be the forefront, but citra is so strong it might be better without or very little. I was thinking your thought about simcoe instead of citra is right on my friend. Either way it sounds great. I love citra hops!