Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BEEFnBEER

Agave Wheat

Well I finally brewed my Agave Wheat Beer this past Saturday. Been looking forward to this style for the spring/summer and I've been very curious on the results using 100% agave nectar. Also wanted more character than the HME provides so I added centennial hops as well. Recipe and brewing went like this:

1 Whispering Wheat HME
1 Golden Wheat UME
1 cup 100% Agave Nectar
.5 oz Centennial Hops
Danstar Munich Dry Yeast

I brought the nectar, HME and UME to a boil and let boil for 5 min in 4 cups of water. I then added in the 1/2 ounce of centennial hops and let boil for an additional 5 min for an overall boil time of 10 min. I then removed from heat and let stand for another 5 min before pouring into the MB keg. I got an OG reading of ~1.050 @ 60°F (small sample was cooled down before measuring). i then poured in about half of the packet of munich yeast which was about 5 grams from the 11 gram packet.

noticed a lot of good action after one day and it was pleasant to see the hop particles dancing around like a party going on, lol. really hoping for something uniquely flavorful and refreshing as the days get much warmer. here's hoping for the best!

when i saw the title i was hoping there was a result in the thread somewhere, this sounds like something i would like to try if it works out.

sorry bout that. i will make sure i update this thread after each stage for reference. if anyone out there has already brewed and consumed something closely similar, please share your input! Thanks!

The Agave makes a nice addition to any beer.

Use like honey after the kruzen falls and you get a hint of tequila in the final taste.

Whale

Brother Whale 2 wrote:

The Agave makes a nice addition to any beer.

Use like honey after the kruzen falls and you get a hint of tequila in the final taste.

Whale

wow... now i'm really curious!

Definitely keep us updated! I have wondered about using agave nectar in my beer ever since I started. I love agave, and I use it in place of syrup on my pancakes every Sunday...delicious!

just bottled last night. 17 days fermenting. FG = 1.006 @ ~66°F. that gives this batch an ABV of 5.7-5.9%. little higher than expected so i guess the agave nectar was a little more potent than i thought. its all good though because the taste sample was very good. nothing overpowering at all. somewhat of a sweet aroma but not sweet flavor so that is good. i'm guessing this is a characteristic of the agave. the added hop flavor was subtle but definitely noticeable. very glad i added them in. they gave just enough extra character. going to let these sit in the bottle for another 4 weeks before transporting to the fridge... just in time for memorial weekend!!!

Sounds like a good brew.

So what cut of beef would go on the grill to enjoy with this brew?

I played with agave nectar, not bad at all I used it in lager type beers great for the summer, light and clean when well conditioned, it gave a nice hint of taste, I put up a thread on it last year when I first got a hold of some agave and from it I was linked to another more extensive conversation on Agave, thanks for reminding me about it I’ll have to revisit the old recipes, after all summer is just around the corner.
:woohoo:

been out the beer loop for a little while as i had other things to attend to but i just wanted to give an update to my agave wheat. first off, the taste/flavor is great. it gives off a very citrus tone which i was very surprised from since i used no citrus ingredients. credit must be given to the addition of centennial hops. as for the agave, it added a unique flavor of its own but in a mild way. as no surprise, it tastes like tequila. try to imagine the flavoring of tequila extracted without the potency and burn. now add that in subtle amounts to your light hoppy ale and there you go. i personally love the taste and the cent-hops give the citrus that is popular with tequila shots anyways. again, the agave flavor is subtle but enough to notice and appreciate. as for the color... beautiful. somewhat of an amber gold color that makes a full glass look like a trophy! lol, maybe getting carried away here but that was just my first impression on my first full pour (i will get a pic posted ASAP as i know this post is almost worthless without one!).

not everything turned out great however and this has nothing to do with the initial recipe. i realized that i was weak on the priming and that lead to a half ass carbonated brew. i must have measured incorrectly and i'm ashamed for effen this part up. don't get me wrong, its still very drinkable but i have grown very picky with the details. i can only imagine how much more i could have enjoyed this brew had it had better carbonation which would have equated to a MUCH better head and fuller body.

other than that, i was overall very pleased and already have a similar batch bottling right now. using the WCPA instead of whispering wheat and used a full 1 oz. of cascade hops in place of the 1/2 oz. centennial. i am obviously looking for even more hop punch. feedback welcome! ;)

Thanks for the update. I've been eager to hear how this turned out.

As for hops, maybe use Amarillo? Amarillo has a bit of a grapefruit flavor (at least to me), so I imagine the citrus (along with some other citrusy hop variety) would go well with the agave.

BossBrew wrote:

Thanks for the update. I've been eager to hear how this turned out.

As for hops, maybe use Amarillo? Amarillo has a bit of a grapefruit flavor (at least to me), so I imagine the citrus (along with some other citrusy hop variety) would go well with the agave.

nice tip! i'll def try that next time.

also, how much corn sugar do you guys use for batch priming? i recently used just under a 1/2 cup for my currently bottled batch. thanks.

BEEFnBEER wrote:

also, how much corn sugar do you guys use for batch priming? i recently used just under a 1/2 cup for my currently bottled batch. thanks.

I have kept mine at a pretty standard 7 tablespoons of corn sugar for batch priming. Different styles can call for different carb levels, though. Use this batch priming calculator and it will tell the carb levels for style and amounts of sugar to use.

that's where I found it. don't know if it will be different in your local.

Nice.
I've been thinking about using agave myself so this is nice timing that this thread was bumped.

Here's what I'm planning:
Cowboy Lager HME
Pale Export UME
1/2 lb DME
1 cup agave
Liquid Draft Yeast

Qbrew gives me 5.8% ABV and an IBU of 15. I'm not a huge hops fan so I think this should be ok. Hoping for a nice citrus smell and finish as you've noted.

Kealia wrote:

Nice.
I've been thinking about using agave myself so this is nice timing that this thread was bumped.

Here's what I'm planning:
Cowboy Lager HME
Pale Export UME
1/2 lb DME
1 cup agave
Liquid Draft Yeast

Qbrew gives me 5.8% ABV and an IBU of 15. I'm not a huge hops fan so I think this should be ok. Hoping for a nice citrus smell and finish as you've noted.

nice recipe. i'm sure the DME will definately help the body of the brew. if you want that citrus taste however, i highly suggest including the centennial hops in the wort before cooling. since ur not a hop fan, maybe at least a 1/3 oz.? just so you know, the hop flavor in my brew was definitely present but no way near a typical micro pale ale (Sierra Nevada, etc.) so a little less than 1/2 oz. should do the job. just my opinion. good luck either way and i'd be very interested in how your batch comes out!

Thanks for the note. I do like Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale but that's pushing my hop tolerance. I'll throw some hops in there and boil for 20 minutes to get some citrus flavor and if I'm feeling really crazy maybe I'll toss in a little orange zest (never done that before either).

based on the nutritional facts profile, it looks to be very similar to honey. so if the MB book is accurate, its about 0.9 ABV per 1 cup.

We shall see how mine turns out. Did a 5 gallon batch with 6lbs of wheat DME and 11.75 oz of agave. turned out a 1.056 OG

BEEFnBEER wrote:

based on the nutritional facts profile, it looks to be very similar to honey. so if the MB book is accurate, its about 0.9 ABV per 1 cup.

I think the website has updated the numbers for honey and the new estimate is 1.2.

I didn't see agave as an option in Qbrew so I just used honey as a swag.

Yankeedag, I opened a thread in the New Brewers and FAQ section to talk about orange zest amounts and when to add. Would love you opinion in there as well. (As of this posting hthtere's 2 solid replies but the more the merrier as I've love to hear about everybody's experiences with it).

I'll have a perv at it Kealia, and see if I can figure it out... :stout:

Ok, I just tryed to find where you were talking about... didn't find it.

yankeedag wrote:

We shall see how mine turns out. Did a 5 gallon batch with 6lbs of wheat DME and 11.75 oz of agave. turned out a 1.056 OG

that's on par with my OG.

Finally brewed up my agave batch but made some modifications to hte ingredients so I could play a bit:

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.056 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 16 IBU
Recipe Color: 8° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.4%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.2%

Ingredients
-----------
Agave 0.25 lb, Sugar, Other
Light DME 0.50 lb, Extract, Extract
MrB. Cowboy Lager 1.21 lb, Extract, Extract
MrB. Pale Export UME 1.21 lb, Extract, Extract

MrB. Cowboy Lager 1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes

American Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Liquid draft yeast
Corriander Seed 1.00 unit, Spice, 1 Tsp
Generic 2.00 unit, Other, Juice from 2 oranges
Orange Peel, Sweet 0.75 unit, Spice, 3/4 oz sweet orange peel

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Used 1/2 cup agave
Added orange juice, sweet orange peel and crushed corriander in sack to 15 boil of DME. Left sack in fermenter.

As you can see the IBUs are low so I'm hoping for a nice, light citrusy brew that's got a bit of a mouthfeel to it.

Time will tell but it sure smelled nice when I put it in the fermenter.

It does sound interesting. I am going to have to try it. I am a pastry chef and found that when used in desserts there is a funky after taste. I will redesign some dessert that would be complimented by a tequila flavor THANKS!

Kealia wrote:

Finally brewed up my agave batch but made some modifications to hte ingredients so I could play a bit:

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.056 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 16 IBU
Recipe Color: 8° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.4%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.2%

Ingredients
-----------
Agave 0.25 lb, Sugar, Other
Light DME 0.50 lb, Extract, Extract
MrB. Cowboy Lager 1.21 lb, Extract, Extract
MrB. Pale Export UME 1.21 lb, Extract, Extract

MrB. Cowboy Lager 1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes

American Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Liquid draft yeast
Corriander Seed 1.00 unit, Spice, 1 Tsp
Generic 2.00 unit, Other, Juice from 2 oranges
Orange Peel, Sweet 0.75 unit, Spice, 3/4 oz sweet orange peel

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Used 1/2 cup agave
Added orange juice, sweet orange peel and crushed corriander in sack to 15 boil of DME. Left sack in fermenter.

As you can see the IBUs are low so I'm hoping for a nice, light citrusy brew that's got a bit of a mouthfeel to it.

Time will tell but it sure smelled nice when I put it in the fermenter.

Gravity sample today (9 days in) was 1.1012. I'll check again in 48 hours but this bad boy should be done and ready to bottle. I'll cold crash for 48 hours to let any orange zest and/or corriander settle and not get in the bottles.

I didn't taste it but I can tell you that it smells great!

Considering this is a "Agave" thread...
I started drinking my batch of Nong Agave. Came out pretty good. Might make it again.

This one turned out "ok". I've never used the Cowboy Lager before this recipe so I can't speak to how different it tastes than the standard recipe alone.

What I can say: Add the agave after primary fermentation if you want more flavor to come through. I would dry-hop with orange peel for more aroma, too. I think there's a bit of orange coming through but it might be because I want there to be so I'm perceiving it that way.

All in all, it's a decent beer, but not my favorite. I'll try another wheat beer using the sweet orange peel for dry-hopping and see what that does.

you may find that a 15 min boil of the orange peel works quite well. some of the essential oils require heat to be extracted.

Yeah, I did a boil for 15 minutes with the orange peel - I just didn't get the orange aroma and flavor that I was wanting. I'll be playing with this more in the future.

Ok, I have to say that a week later this one has gotten better. The flavors seemed to have blended a bit more together.

Maybe it was the extra week of conditioning, but this sure tasted better. It could also be that the Cowboy Lager isn't my favorite base as I've never had it before - maybe a wheat base would have given it more of what I was looking for.

Maybe I should shaddup now and just have a home brew. :gulp:

StarRaptor wrote:

Alot of people often say that your last beer will usually be your best of that batch

Major hole in that theory!
What if you drink that bottle first? Huh??! Huh? :chug:

then it wouldn't be your last one, now would it. didn't think of that one, nyuck nyuck nyuck! :P

So.....I had another of these tonight after conditioning for 7 weeks and wow, has it gotten better!

The flavors have really melded together and the orange is much more prominent now both in aroma and after-taste.

After not being impressed with this previously, I can happily say that I will brew this again and just let it sit for 2 months before drinking.

I'll still dry-hop some sweet orange peel and maybe add a bit more coriander but this baby is GOOD now and a recipe that I would recommend if you allow the proper conditioning time for it.