Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
thehoundsofcuchulain

Important Batch

What's up everyone,

I am brewing a special batch for my Fathers 60th birthday. I have yet to attempt a batch using extra hops.

Here's what I got,

1 can High Country Canadian Draft
1 can UME Mellow Amber
Pack of Liberty Hops
1 bag of booster.

I'm going for a Yuengling type taste (his favorite).

Any pointers? How/when should add the hops into the equation?

Also, if I brew it tomorrow, you think this puppy will be ready for the weekend of 6/26?

Thanks again for all the help

Looks good I used liberty hops in my October fest and it turned out really tasty. I used a full Oz: 1/4 oz boiled for 20 min 1/4 oz boiled for 7 min and dry hoped the last 1/2 after a week in the keg. I boiled mine naked so no sack and have learned the trick to tilt back the keg with a dvd case so the hops and trub will sit back w/o clogging the spout.

The longer you boil the hops the more bitter your beer will become due to the alpha acids in the hop oil. Boiling hops for 60min will give bitterness, 20-10 min will give flavor and 10min or less will give aroma. But because the Mr. beer already hops the extract for you really don't need to bitter you beer. I normally do 20 min boils if I am doing a mr.beer recipe, works nice and helps with head retention. let us know what you do and how it works out.

Thanks for the advice man.

When do I add the hops to the mix? Do I boil them first and then pop in the cans of HME and UME? Should I even use the booster pack?

Like, if I'm following the directions that came with the kit, when do the hops make their appearance in all of it? Or is it a totally separate event?

So many questions haha

Thanks again tho!

It's good to boil the hops in some sugar or malt. So what I would do is use a bag of booster in 4 cups of water like a normal batch. Once it comes to boil you can drop you hops in then and boil however long you want. Turn off the flame after the hop boil time in done and add the HME's and mix.

Thanks Man,

So basically I want to proceed as normal with using the booster, then add the hops (sans sack) and keep on the flame between 10 and 20 mins. After the times has elapsed, I flame off and add both cans of HME and UME and again proceed as normal...

Couple things:
1) so i shouldn't use the sack for the hops?
2) You said that you dry hopped after a week with the rest of you hops, so it's cool to open up the keg and pop the rest in? Does that mess up fermentation?
3) Do you think this batch is better cold or warm conditioned?

Thanks for all the help! I really want to nail this one...

The Batch is brewed.

It was a lot of fun. The worst part was stirring the booster but here's what I did.

After sanitation I started on the booster.
After getting the booster mixed in I then brought it to a boil.
As soon as the first bubble was seen on the bottom of the pot, I threw in about 1/4 oz of the hops and let that boil up for 10 minutes.
I then threw in the 1 can of High Country Canadian Draft and the Mellow Amber UME.
While stirring that together, I popped in the rest of my hops and stirred it up some more.
Then I transferred the wort into the keg and added water.
I took your idea and put a little book under the keg to have the sediment go too the back of the keg.

Now I wait but I cannot wait to see how this comes out!

One thing that was really cool was the aroma of the hops. Man did they smell good! I'm excited to see what kind of dimension that adds to my brew.

Thanks again for your help man, I will certainly let you know when I'm carbing and conditioning her up.

I wish I woulda caught ya earlier lol

I woulda left the booster out but that's just me. For two main reasons...

1. It's an added sugar and will probably take a good bit longer to condition out so you don't have cidery taste in the beer. (if you have that on your first don't worry, let it sit for 2 months and it'll fade)

2. Yuengling is only 4.4% abv. So this will be a pinch stronger (approx 6% abv) which is fine.

I think it'll be pretty good though. The 10 min boil might add a pinch more hop flavor and maybe a teeny bit of aroma but I'm just being straight up with ya, don't expect a whole bunch from them. They need boiled for at least 15-20 for flavor and it takes a bit more hops for aroma. But don't worry, Yuengling isn't really overly hoppy anyways and yours should come out pretty tasty :)

Plus, Yuengling is a lager so overall it'll be different anyways. I think it'll be
good stuff. This one will definately benefit alot with some age.

As always post results!

Oh and let the bottles sit at room temp for the conditioning. Then put them in the fridge for at least a week before you drink them. For best results let them sit in fridge for extended period for the yeast to settle out better but only after a good 6-8 weeks at room temp.

Just my two cents of course :)

Thanks man!

I was at the new house and without internet access so I was flying solo.

I was hoping to go for something like a yuengling but I just want a move full flavored beer for my pop. He can get yuengling anywhere but this batch is from me so I put my own spin on it.

The booster was another thing I was up in the air about but I figured what the hell, it probably won't hurt.

Because things have been so busy I have left the beer to ferment (previous batches) longer than I should (also due to temps varying) for around a month.

Then bottled and left it for around 3 weeks and then chilled it for 2 weeks.

That has worked well so far. Now that the weather is better and hotter, I have to be more consistent with the time it has to ferment.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and I'm looking forward to what this batch yeilds as it was the first using a UME and Extra Hops.

Happy Drinking!

Just wait till you start hopping your malt.

That's when it gets fun!

You really have alot more control of the flavor when you do hop boils. Plus, you get fresh hop flavor and aroma from it.

I think this beer will be a good stepping stone for you to jump into more complex brews though. Let it sit for a couple months after you bottle and it should be quite tasty.

thehoundsofcuchulain wrote:

Thanks Man,

So basically I want to proceed as normal with using the booster, then add the hops (sans sack) and keep on the flame between 10 and 20 mins. After the times has elapsed, I flame off and add both cans of HME and UME and again proceed as normal...

Couple things:
1) so i shouldn't use the sack for the hops?
2) You said that you dry hopped after a week with the rest of you hops, so it's cool to open up the keg and pop the rest in? Does that mess up fermentation?
3) Do you think this batch is better cold or warm conditioned?

Thanks for all the help! I really want to nail this one...

No prob & the booster will be fine, I used a bag of booster in my AD IPA and it didn't give me any cidery taste. Just give em a few weeks and enjoy.

Listen to Bigd. I used a pouch of booster w/ 2 cans ADIPA on jan. 10th and they are just now drinkable. I go all malts now unless it is honey or brown sugar, even then I use very little. I am very impatient and I want my beer to be ready quicker than two to three months. :gulp:

dpip75 wrote:

Listen to Bigd. I used a pouch of booster w/ 2 cans ADIPA on jan. 10th and they are just now drinkable. I go all malts now unless it is honey or brown sugar, even then I use very little. I am very impatient and I want my beer to be ready quicker than two to three months. :gulp:

My point exactly :laugh:

It's hard to wait that long. Even all malt beers take a couple months to be at their "peak" in my opinion. But less added sugar or none added at all will condition faster than one with added sugar like booster, table sugar, etc.

I added a cup of white table sugar in my best beer ever which has a ton of malt backbone in it. It was strictly to bump up the ABV. It worked and there was never any cidery taste but it did taste ALOT better after conditioning for a couple months.

I bet if it had DME instead of the white sugar added, it would have conditioned faster. But, I like this beer much that I don't think I'm going to change anything about it. Some beers have added sugar and are super good. It's all about making sure there is alot more malt than sugar.

+ 1 Bigd. Most of my all malt beers have been very good right after carbing and they do get better with age. although I must say that some beers are better young which you already know. Hop heads like young hoppy beers. ;)

dpip75 wrote:

I did my ad ipa on feb 12 and they were good after 3 weeks but I am aging 10 for an extra month to taste the difference. But I have now moved up to using a # of dme over booster in the rest of my brews. But using a bag of booster in my IPA and stout i really didn't notice a big difference. HME+UME+ 1/2 a bag of booster might have been better but malt would have been better.

Hey Guys,

Sorry it's been a month since the last post but its been insanely busy and my beer is just hangin out on the shelf in the new pad.

I've decided to let it lie longer because it was so damn cold in Philly when I first started and the new place wasn't getting to optimal temps to get the yeast working.

ANyway, I am very close to start the bottling process and I had a couple of questions:

first, I picked up some OXI CLEAN versatile to soak and clean the bottles overnight. Is this the right kind?

Second, what the best way to bottle this puppy? Should I prime it (batch of bottle?) After reading some posts, I didn't know whether i should add sugar to the beer that already has a packet of booster?

How the hell do I batch prime....

If I should prime it...should I use table suger? Brown Sugar? Help a brother out please haha

Lastly, if I bottle these guys let's say Thursday, you think that they might be conditioned enough to have on the big guy's birthday (June 23rd)?

Thanks again for all your help! You Guys rock

If you have an extra keg(or bottling bucket) and a siphon you can batch prime. I boil 6-7 tbs. of cane sugar in 1 cup of water let cool to room temp & dump that in you extra sanitized keg and siphon you beer on top and try not to aerate your beer. Put you top back on your keg and bottle away not having to dose sugar in each bottle.

hmm i don't have those things yet haha...is it cool to bottle prime it?

I keep hearing that honey is a good primer...

I'm nervous and excited cuz its going in to bottles finally!

You can use any kind of sugar to prime. I've always used white sugar. In my opinion, the priming sugar is such a small amount of the total used that it doesn't have a lot of effect on the process. Batch priming probably gives the most consistent carbonation, but bottle priming works, too.

You wrote - "first, I picked up some OXI CLEAN versatile to soak and clean the bottles overnight. Is this the right kind?
"

Oxyclean Versatile is right, just make sure it's Oxiclean Versatile "Free" The "free" means it's perfume,dyes or fragrance free. This is very important.

This thing says "chlorine free" and doesn't list and fragrance...i'm thinkin it's the same thing you're talking about.

So I basically just let them soak in water over night with some OXI Clean in it?

I also want the labels to come off but they're YARDS bottles which the labels seems to come on in the box as it is haha

Thanks again!

If you bottle your batch soon your beer should be ready by June 26.

Cool beans. I'll be bottling it on Thursday night.

Super excited.

I am thinking that I'll soak the bottles tonight and use table sugar to bottle prime.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions for priming sugar..

Thanks man!

If I'm bottle priming into standard beer bottles (12oz) how much sugar per bottle do it typically use?

I have on of those MB sugar measuring tools but since the bottles are considerably smaller than the PETs, it can't be the same amount right?

Help me out please hahah

3/4 tsp for the 12 ouncers. There should be a 1 1/4 and a 3/4 tsp measure on your Mr. Beer priming measuring tool.

Plain table sugar is one of the mainstays. Once you get adventurous you can try corn sugar, honey, dme. etc.

Perfect...i think i have all my bases covered.

Thanks again everyone...i've been super patient and I want this to rock!

Ill let everyone know how it turns out with the bottling and all that goodness