1.21 lb MrB. Mellow Amber UME Extract Extract
Quantity Hop Type Time
1.00 oz MrB. St. Patrick's Irish Stout Pellet 5 minutes
0.50 oz Fuggles Pellet 30 minutes
0.50 oz Fuggles Pellet 7 minutes
Quantity Misc Notes

Recipe Notes

Add 2.5 Oz of coco powder @10min

Add 1 cup of cold brewed chocolate coffee when batch priming.

What do you think about this If i make this now and let it age till winter it will be keeping me warm. Also what kind of yeast should I use I have some Us-05 in the mail now might use 6 grams of that.

Any input? I'm making this next weekend would like to get the recipe straight.

Different from my Imperial, but hey I hope it works out. I would maybe bump up the hops because of the high abv. I wouldn't do the coffee that way. In order to get a rich bold flavor you should at least boil the last 10 to 5 min. Lightly crushed in a muslin sack. Also the chocolate malt and coffee( if you boil it) will give you enough chocolate flavor without actually adding chocolate to the beer. I had a bad experience with chocolate. It has fat in it, and lets just say the fat did not go away. Get rid of the brown sugar and use more UME. The more malt the better. It won't take forever to condition. Just my two bottle tops. :chug:

Okay, a few thoughts...

First, you seem to be in a bit of a straddle between MB beginner recipe, and moving on to partial grain. I say this because you have chocolate malt and roast barley, but then you plan on adding cocoa and coffee...so you are trying to get essentially the same flavors from two different sources, the "cheap easy way" (not meant as a slam, we all do it) and the grain route. I would say pick one and stick with it for any given recipe.

Also, keep in mind, MB extracts are not generic amber lme or dark lme...they already have lots of the flavorings tailored in. So, adding lots of extra flavorings may lead to an "overly bold" brew.

I have done both coffee and cocoa in MB beers, and it went well. (BTW, melting chocolate will put fat in your beer, but using cocoa will not, worked fine...but, it does create a ton more trub)

Now, having said that, if Really Bold is what you are after, I don't think it will hurt anything, and may create some interesting complexity.

How do you plan on using the oats? You don't specify...remember, oats are not gonna create any fermentables for you, and as some of us have found out the hard way, they can turn your wort into pudding and make life a little miserable. From my not so great experiences, I would not use 1/2 lb. In fact, if I ever used oats again, I would just get a couple bags of instant plain oatmeal and boil them up in the initial 1/2 gallon or so of water, and then strain all that through a seive. Then I would proceed normally. Unless I am mistaken, the other two grains are steepable, so a stovetop steeping should work fine for them. Boil your hops in the tea that gives you. Combine to the rest of the soup.

Brown sugar -- I used a lot of brown sugar in the beginning, not so much now. If I want sugar, I go with plain sugar mostly. Or Booster. And I only use the right amount, and for the right reason, which is, to thin the beer down. Is that what you want/need?

So I plugged this into BeerSmith...first, FYI, BeerSmith puts OG at 1.074, ABV at 7.2, just a hair under guidelines for an imperial stout. However, your brown sugar is only 10% of fermentables, which is fine, and your FG is 1.019, which is on the low side but inside the guidelines. But if I take the sugar out, then OG falls to 1.064, and FG falls to 1.017, both too low now. What this tells me is that, per style guidelines (which you may not care about, and that is fine) this Imperial Stout is not heady enough yet to need sugar to thin it down.

If it was me, I would not add the sugar here. But as always, it is your beer. Just my advice.

As for aging, I would guess it will be drinkable in a month, but it will continue to evolve for many months. Good luck holding out that long.

David

Great feedback! So this is what I am thinking Cut out oats, brown sugar, coco and coffee. Just go simple and one step at a time. I will just make a stout & hopefully a chocolate stout. I will post the new Qbrew once I get home. I'm thinking I want to get the flavors from the grains before I add anything else like more coco and coffee.

So 2 questions: Should I add any crystal malt to the steep? And if I am going to scale this down in abv by taking out the sugar should I even bather with adding booster? If i did I would only use like .25# or less.

Also hop times. Change them at all?

Thanks alot for the help! I made the shameless stout as my second batch it was ok. It was thin, no head retention, and not very bold. It had a good flavor but just not what I was looking for. So to change from that recipe I am using dark malt over booster, and amber UME over creamy brown. Also adding some grains which will beef it up :)

Again thanks for the help :stout:

Your thinking is quite solid; now we begin to discuss issues of personal taste.

First, while either way is likely fine, I personally would pour Creamy Brown all over vanilla ice cream and eat it, I just love that stuff; the Mellow Amber, mmmm...but a stout can go either way.

Second, grains...I think you could go with what you have and be fine, but I think you could also push the chocolate up to 1/2 lb if you really want to edge it that direction. And yes, I would definitely toss the cara pills in their if you waznt that rich, foamy head.

Booster...Well, before I comment on that, lets look at the bigger picture. With the changes already noted, you are still well under the mark for an imperial stout. I am very much on record as saying if you are out to make real beer, it takes three cans of MB LME, and then some window dressing...and you are trying to make an IMPERIAL beer, so 3 cans of LME, 1 pound of malt, and then...THEN...maybe think about the booster. This brings us back to Creamy Brown vs Mellow Amber...do em both!! That, with your dark DME, puts you back into Imperial territory. Now, you could also just double up the DME, that will work also. Now, at that point, booster becomes a consideration...but even then, a full bag becomes 13% of your fermentables, which is FOR ME on the high side, especially for something that is supposed to be so malt heavy. Half a bag. That should work.

Hops...well, assuming all the changes I mentioned so far, you are now at .37 on the BU:GU meter. Per the style guidelines, that is significantly under. If I change that to 1 full ounce for 60 minutes, it pulls you up to 59 IBUs, and the range for Imperial Stout is 50-90. I am not a hop head, and that SEEMS like a lot to me, but this is likely one of those situations where you should trust data and not my opinion. I would guess you need more hops and a longer boil, up to 1 full ounce for one full hour; anything in between based on your personal preferences will, of course, make beer. ;)

If you do go with the longer boil, be aware that boiling extract will make it darker, although this is already gonna be pretty dark. And do NOT boil the St Patty's as you will alter it's already created hop profile.

Keep us posted...

David

Recipe imperial stout Style Generic Ale
Brewer McCoy Batch 2.13 gal
Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.082 OG Estimated FG 1.021 FG
Recipe Bitterness 58 IBU Alcohol by Volume 8.0%
Recipe Color 60° SRM Alcohol by Weight 6.3%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Type Use
0.25 lb MrB. Booster Sugar Other
0.25 lb CaraPils Grain Mashed
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (US) Grain Mashed
1.00 lb Dark DME Extract Extract
1.21 lb MrB. Creamy Brown UME Extract Extract
1.21 lb MrB. St. Patrick's Irish Stout Extract Extract
0.25 lb Roasted Barley Grain Mashed
Quantity Hop Type Time
1.00 oz Fuggles Pellet 40 minutes
0.50 oz Fuggles Pellet 15 minutes
0.50 oz Fuggles Pellet 0 minutes
1.00 oz MrB. St. Patrick's Irish Stout Pellet 5 minutes

Okay so this is an update how does this look?

Thanks again for the suggestions and advise on the :stout:

YUMMY!!! I enjoyed one of mine today. Get to brewin'! I still think you should brew my recipe sometime. It was way cheaper than your list of ingredients to achieve a good chocolate stout, and ready to drink almost immediately, because of no added sugars (booster). I just care about your pocket, and your desire to drink a damn good beer. Don't get me wrong, brew your recipe. The recipe is very creative and well thought out. Just look at these ingredients and compare the price. The head and smoothness of this beer is phenomenal. My wifes eyes rolled back when she tasted the first test bottle. By the way, she is extremely picky about beer. The texture of a Yoohoo with carbonation and a deep rich chocolate flavor that makes you feel like you are eating (drinking) a homemade chocolate cake your grandma made. Only it is giving you a warm feeling all over your body. :laugh: Brew on! :stout:

Dark Star (ICS)

Yeast: Wyeast's Irish Ale 1084

Batch size 2.4 gallons

Grains and extract: Steep grains between 150 & 170 degrees
Chocolate malt .25 lb
Carafa II .20 lb
Roasted barley .25 lb
Dark LME 3.30 lb
Dark DME 1.50 lb

Hops:
Chinnook .5 oz 40 min
Kent Golding .5 oz 40 min
Fuggle .5 oz 30 min
Fuggle .5 oz 10 min
Chinnook .5 oz Flame out
Kent Golding .5 oz Flame out

Adjuncts:
Chocolate caramel coffee crushed and added in muslin sack for last ten minutes.

O.G. 1.090
F.G. 1.022
Abv 8.9%
BU 61
Color 40

Have any of you ever cultured your yeast? My buddy told me when he does big beers he would make a smaller one of the same style and harvest the yeast and use that for his bigger imperial beers. It would be nice to buy a nice yeast and use it a few times and save some cash.

I haven't , but I would like to. You can youtube it I think. I know I saw a post on here one time that had pics to guide you. I am sure you will get a hit with some good info from SiriusDG. :laugh: He is a Jedi Master Brewer, listen to him, I do. :) It is risky. If you think about it , you could waste more money than you save if you F a batch up. So................ :unsure: Just my thoughts... nothing more.

This is one area I do not play in, and do not have a desire to do so. I have a proven bad track record with dainty yeast...I like em pre packaged, hardy, and ready to rock and roll.

By the way, that Dark Star recipe looks pretty danged good...hmmmmmmm....

David

Just bottled this up today I went out and bought a bag of coopers carbonation drops to make bottling easier. I have two kegs so I normally bottle prime one batch and batch prime with the 2nd keg open. The carb drops were great it made the whole bottle priming process so much faster and easier. The smell of the brew was a roasty coffee, the taste was quite hoppy. I will let this one age for several months before drinking, I will be popping the tester bottle in 2 weeks though I will post a pic.

Thanks again for all the help :stout:

Thats gonna be some awesome drinking... WTG!
Concerning yeast propogation, I've had some decent success ranching/propogating my own yeast from previous fermentation sessions.
I've managed to successfully propogate Mr. Beer's Dry yeast strain as well as Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast.. I have a few more strains on my Mr. Beer Club order on its way middle of this month.
Its not too hard at all, and according to Papazian (The Complete Joy of Homebrewing), with a few repetitions you can actually subtly alter the set flavor profile of a yeast strain based on your environmental conditions and processes making a yeast that is subtly unique to your brewing environment... I use a simply procedure posted elsewhere here on the forums for ranching the yeast from the trub of a completed fermentation, store several samples in the fridge for later use and take whats left to start a propogation starter.
Sure.. its cheap to just buy it.. but sometimes.. its just fun to make it yourself... and you never have to wait for a delivery, if you dont have a LHBS near you.

dpip - I've gone back through the threads that you've talked about this Imperial Chocolate Stout. It sounds good and I'd like to give it a try. Two things that I wanted to know from your brew - what was the volume of your steep and what amount of the chocolate caramel coffee did you use? One more thing on the coffee - did you just get the whole beans or did you get readily ground coffee?

Brew City wrote:

dpip - I've gone back through the threads that you've talked about this Imperial Chocolate Stout. It sounds good and I'd like to give it a try. Two things that I wanted to know from your brew - what was the volume of your steep and what amount of the chocolate caramel coffee did you use? One more thing on the coffee - did you just get the whole beans or did you get readily ground coffee?

Well Brew City, first I used 1.25 gallons to steep my grains. Second I used 1 oz. of whole bean slightly crushed in a muslin sack. The brand is Cameron's (Chocolate Caramel Brownie). MMMMM!!! I have 2 packs in my freezer just for this brew. :laugh: It does taste like a rich chocolate cake!!! Did you find the recipe? beer_Dark_Star-20100513.jpg

Yup, got the recipe! I did find a few brands of the Chocolate Caramel. Don't know if they sell Cameron's over here, but I have seen Girahdeli (they can't be bad). I'll have two open kegs next weekend and I think this may be going into one of them. How long did you condition before you busted into the supply? Thanks for the added info! You've definitely made this one sound awesome!

Honestly I tried one seven days after bottling, and was shocked how good it was. Good luck. :chug:

Jcmccoy wrote:

Just bottled this up today I went out and bought a bag of coopers carbonation drops to make bottling easier. I have two kegs so I normally bottle prime one batch and batch prime with the 2nd keg open. The carb drops were great it made the whole bottle priming process so much faster and easier. The smell of the brew was a roasty coffee, the taste was quite hoppy. I will let this one age for several months before drinking, I will be popping the tester bottle in 2 weeks though I will post a pic.

Thanks again for all the help :stout:

Hell yeah bud! I love the drops! I also like to batch prime with honey. I bet only a few survive till winter. :laugh: :chug:

Ive been thinking of brewing up your choclate stout Dpip75.

My only problem is i cant find any Carafa II, what would you suggest I add instead?

stout.JPG

8 weeks in the bottle. Very bold with a deep roast flavor. Could use some tweaking in the grain bill and some more body. I think I will enjoy these in the colder months.

that looks good. and I just finished mowing the lawn and washing the dawgs. hummmmmm

Ok, I'm fessen up. I went and got one of my stouts. it's dead. there is a "clone" of it in the fridge...along with 4 replicators...but not for long.

So I am drinking one of these a week later and this stout is pretty damn good. Flavors has melded nicely I really enjoy the aroma and flavor. It really needed the 2 months of aging to get to the point of a nice drinking beer. Only criticism I have is that it is not as thick as I want. I want to be able to chew this. I think it's all the water added via the Mr.Beer late water additions.

Any idea on how to make a nice thick stout? What I did in my last stout is: I did a full boil 3 gal, I add oatmeal, and added lactose. Also I used no Mr.Beer ingredient's. I hope to have a nice fully bodyed stout.

Any ideas guys? :stout:

Also to push the point chocolate malt give a big roast and coffee flavor not really chocolate.

EDIT: It is a nice flavor don't get me wrong, but don't use it thinking you will get a very chocolately flavor.