Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Clearcut23

Must have pissed off my yeast

So today I started my first dark beer. I was going for kind of a clone of Black Butte. Picked up an extract kit from the LHBS. It was Coopers Dark Ale HME with some Briess Sparkling Amber UME. I microwaved and then added a cup of honey at the ens of the boil. I noticed that barely 8 hours after pitching the yeast tonight my airlock was going crazy! Bubbling like there was no tomorrow. Only problem now is the beer is now starting to spew out of the air lock and I dont have a blow off tube. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how this would affect the overall quality of my beer ABV and taste wise?

Relax, have a homebrew!

If stuff is coming out, nothings going in. You may lose a couple ounces of beer.

Just be sure the vents are clean when its done going crazy.

Whale

I sure hope you are right Whale. I hate losing beer! even a pint! Looks like I need to invest in a blow off tube before my next big bad dark beer. This is what I woke up to this morning. Alllll over my kitchen counter VIOLENT.jpg

Wow! That is a mess!

I did a 1 gallon RIS and 1/2 of a quart plus came out the blowoff tube.

Those Russian don't play well in captivity evidently. Next time I brew one of the big guys like that I'm gonna double the headspaceby reducing water and add some water after the primary.

I hate to see that much BLACK GOLD slip away.

Good Luck

Yep, that's ugly looking. Shouldn't be a real problem (other than the clean up) as the sanitation bit goes. Just clean up, and then once the outside is all sanitized again, you should be able to briefly pull out your airlock and clean it up/sanitzie it, and pop it back in. :stout:

I cleaned it up best I could and put it out on my back porch while I went to the evil Dentist and got a Root Canal. Left at 8:30am and just got home at 12:30pm and checked on the brew on the back porch and it seems the cool morning air seems to have calmed it down a bit. Cleaned it up once again and re sanitized the airlock and lid and surrounding areas and placed it back on the kitchen counter and as soon as I set it down and put the air lock in it went back to work spewing bubbles out, but this time it was Star San bubbles so im pretty sure im in the clear. Im still pretty pissed at how much beer was wasted from this rather traumatizing ordeal. I hate wasting beer. I need to get either a blow off tube or a 6.5 glass carboy before I do any more dark brews.

Wow!

I thought the Redbeard we had blow up on us was bad. It was nothing compared to this. The spew hit the ceiling above the brew counter.

Funny coincidence, I had a couple of Black Butte's earlier today and started looking for a clone recipe over at Tim's before dinner.
What yeast did you use?

Just the basic stuff that came with the Coopers kit. The only thing I did to this batch was added a cup of honey at the end of the boil and in a 5 gallon batch I didnt think that would have much effect. It was overflowing like that alllll night. I cleaned it all up off my kitchen counter a couple of times. 12 more days and I can keg it! Cant wait

Not a real big beer as ABV goes.
Deschutes Brewery, Bend, OR.
Black Butte Porter, 5.2% ABV, IBU 30.

A bit malty but not cloyingly sweet. I drank it straight from the bottle and it tasted better as it warmed and the co2 outgassed.

He's an ugly little spud isn't he.
Well chock that up to a lesson learned. Headspace in the fementer is very important.
That why you'll see so much in a MB keg.

Your temp may be a little warm too.
I think the most we cleaned/changed an airlock was 5 times.

Now you know to keep the other type airlock and some 1/2" hose and jar handy. OH and pan or a tub lid to place the fermenter on.
we were just talking about one of our brews doing this in a 5 gal carboy. I changed the next batch to a 4 gal when in those. We really only use them as 2nds now.

Yeah that's funny as we were just looking into a clone of the same beer.

Good brewing.

thats happened to me everytime since i switch to a 5gal setup. I need to get one of those carboy caps that has two holes one for a airlock and one for a blow off

Im brewing 5 gallon batches in a 6.5 gallon bucket. I have always had plenty of head room. Guess I'll have to look into a 7 gallon fermenter for my dark beers