Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brother Whale 2

Extreme Experimentation!!!!!!

Extremeophiles,

Blackbeard's Folly, my Russian Imperial Stout From my 1 gallon experimental fermenter is in bottles (1-22oz and 8-12oz Color:50 ABV:9.7 IBU:53) and I am left to decide what extreme beer to do next in the Experimental Fermenter.

Asking for your thoughts on the below brews.

1. William Wallace- an extreme Scottish Wee Heavy in the 10-12% ABV
range.

2. Gravity Storm- a Strong Belgian Dark Ale in the 9-10% ABV range.

3. Depth Charge Double IIPA- A torpedo style DIIPA in the 90-100 IBU
10-12% ABV range.

What say ye Gentlemen,

Where do I go from here?

Any other extreme suggestions?

Whale

Well, never to be at a loss for an opinion...

Love my belgians, and if you have not done that, I would suggest it.

Along the same lines if you are looking for other alternatives, I am currently late in secondary on my first belgian blonde; I consider it a worthy consideration, because it should be very very blond, which I think is a challenge for us homebrewers; and have a light clean taste while retaining the sweet belgian profile, an interesting exercise in balance. Also, it turns out to be an exercise in restraint, which I may not have passed as well as I should have, because the recipe should be unbelievably simple.

Brew On!

David

Of course, I'm going to go the other way from Sirius... IPA! Wee Heavy! I can't decide! To be honest, any of those three options sound great to me...

Thank you for your input guys!

Since I pretty much got a vote for each I know my thoughts were on the right track here. After all this is my favorite role, Mad Scientist.

So, I will do them all!!!!

I am going to do the Depth Charge DIIPA first because it actually got 2 votes. (Swen voted for both Wee Heavy and IPA) But hey, no rules were listed.

David, I will be seeking your sage advice on the Belgian which will probably go second in a couple weeks. Mainly spice and Yeast suggestions. I wonder how high you can push ABV and stay Blonde.
I do have some clear candy in the closet.

I will list recipes. I have to concoct the hops schedule for the DIIPA based on what I have. My 7 ounces of Magnum arrived from Germany, so expect it to carry the bittering load with a small dose every 5 minutes. I have some Amarillo, Northern Brewer, Liberty, and UK Goldings. They will most likely play some roll in the trip to 90-100 IBU. I am expecting about 12 boil additions plus dry hopping the secondary.

Whale
(Insert evil laugh echoing away down the hall!)

Love my belgians, and if you have not done that, I would suggest it.

I second that motion :cheers:

That's a pretty slick lil 1 gallon setup bro.

And for my recommendation for a very high gravity beer...I say screw a Double IPA go Quad IPA lmao!

Wheb your shooting past 10-11% abv I believe the "double" is surpassed haha. And something with more than 10% abv could go even higher than 100 IBUs. I bet 120-130 IBUs would seem like 70-80 IBUs cuz of the huge malt bill.

Anyways have fun and post results! (and recipes!)

Nice! 11.2%...that yeast got some work cut out for it. Can't wait to see results.

Very cool. I am a huge fan of the wee heavy so I personally cannot wait for that one!

Have you posted a thread on that nifty one gallon setup? I know I would love to read up on how you do it even more. I'm probably not the only one. Very good stuff.

Rev,
search under "Experimental fermenter" any other ?s just ask.
I have a 8.0 Wee heavy I did in honor of my dad. It is a full 2.4 gallon batch that is conditioning. I had my carb tester this week, it was heavenly. Malty with carmel and toffee notes no hint of the 8%ABV on the palate. Gonna be hard to save. It, a sample of FFF's Robert the Bruce, and a recent showing of Braveheart inspired me to commemerate William Wallace in a Teeny Weeny Wee Heavy. If it works good I will make a big batch or two and bottle it in Bombers as gifts.

That is the general plan with each of these experimentals, but extreme pateince is required.

Doug,

I have been training my WLP007 yeast for these events. My cultured strain has hit 12.8% in a microtest. It is up for this challenge!

I think I am having too much fun!!!!

Whale

That wee heavy sounds terrific. Great brewing Brother Whale. We are certainly fortunate to have you around. Keep having fun.

Brother Whale 2 wrote:

A one gallon glass jug, #8.5 Drilled stopper, some hose, 1 liter pop bottle Tester-20100502.JPG

Is that an old wine bottle? You got me thinking, and this may be a great way for me to attempt a few lagers this summer.

It was actually and Indian Summer Apple Cider Bottle.

You can buy one gallon jugs through northern brewer or most well stocked Homebrew stores.

It would work great for small lager batches.

Yeah, I just checked out the northern brewer site and I will definitely have to pick one up (3.99 for the jug, 0.85 for the stopper) next time I am at the store. My pipeline is pretty full right now, so it might be fun to kick around some small batches, too.

Rev, I found the old thread for the mini-fermenter: http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=58&func=view&catid=18&id=65603

Thanks, Whale!!! Keep up the great work, can't wait to hear how these turn out.

Racked the Depth Charge Double Imperial IPA over to a secondary vessel today. Yeah, I have 3 of them now! I figured I would give a report.

SG 1.040 OG was 1.115 ABV currently 9.8%
Taste: Malty and Hoppy
Strangely no glaring alcohol taste???

Cultured WLP007 is still chugging along at 3-4 bubbles a minute, so final target of 11.4% is still attainable and possibly surpassable.

I have not yet decided to bottle in 12s or bombers but it should be done in a week.

Gathering supplies for the next adventure, a Belgian Strong Golden Ale crafted under the tutelage of SiriusDG.

Will keep you posted.

Whale

Brother Whale 2 wrote:

Racked the Depth Charge Double Imperial IPA over to a secondary vessel today. Yeah, I have 3 of them now! I figured I would give a report.

SG 1.040 OG was 1.115 ABV currently 9.8%
Taste: Malty and Hoppy
Strangely no glaring alcohol taste???

Cultured WLP007 is still chugging along at 3-4 bubbles a minute, so final target of 11.4% is still attainable and possibly surpassable.

I have not yet decided to bottle in 12s or bombers but it should be done in a week.

Gathering supplies for the next adventure, a Belgian Strong Golden Ale crafted under the tutelage of SiriusDG.

Will keep you posted.

Whale

I personally like the 22oz bombers best for these big beers. I like the ease of bottling less bottles and also they just look so much cooler haha. You buy the expensive stuff in them so the good stuff like this should be bottled in the bombers I feel. Plus, I sometimes like pouring out a while bomber into my big ass glass mug. Halfway through drinking it, it tastes amazing as it warms a little bit and the flavors really come out!

BigD,

Yeah I think I am going to have to pick up a case or two of the bombers.

Just for these big beer experiments anyway.

Thanks,

Whale

I like using the bombers as well. I wanna get some of those cool bombers that Sammy has... the ones with the raised hops or grain pattern around the top. I like the look of those things...

PICT0004.JPG

I also have an Orion bottle that's kinda neat looking. And, of course, I love using the Rogue XS stout ceramic bottle...

I've also found the French sparkling soda bottles with the flippies that I'm kinda digging now. Though they are clear glass...

I was just thinking about this today as I bottled up a batch; I have amassed quite a good collection of bombers at this point, but I normally only use one per batch, as my long aging bottle. I prefer smaller bottles, since I can have a variety of a few smaller brews in an evening. But all your points about bottling are quite accurate. Gotta give this some more thought.

David

I normally use 2-3 bombers per batch and I too keep those for the longest to age them. I like busting them out after a few months to really taste the difference.

Update!

Hydrometer reading today: 1.026

Alcohol by volume: 11.68%

You can taste the alcohol NOW!

It tastes like a really good IPA with a shot of moonshine in it.!

The malt and hops are almost in perfect balance.

Bottling in 3 days no matter the hydro, gonna put just enough primer in it to make it fizzy. This much alcohol won't hold a head anyway.

Whale

A Bomber is an affectionate nickname for a 22 ounce glass beer bottle with a crown cap. Its just like a regular 12 ounce only bigger.

I did a black Belgian ale with Wyeast Belgian Saison 3724. Sarcophagus.jpg

Sarcophagus

Sarcophagus_2.jpgSarcophagus_3.jpg

Kool :woohoo: Prefect size for my experimental Belgium Ale. The ABV was 11% after the first fermentation the second is finish up & one to go. Then the hardest part letting age till Christmas :(

I like to use all shapes and sizes. I have a couple Sierra Nevada Pale ale bombers, and a Magic Hat bomber. I found a Trappist ale called Orval, and the bottle is really neat. Orval_trappist_ale.gif

now that is the bottle I need to find have the perfect ale for that bottle!

Brother Whale 2 wrote:

OK, here's the planned recipe.

Recipe Depth Charge Double Imperial IPA
Style Imperial IPA
Brewer Breaching Whale Brewery
Batch 1.00 gal
Extract

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.115 OG
Estimated FG 1.029 FG
Recipe Bitterness 99 IBU
Alcohol by Volume 11.2%
Recipe Color 12° SRM
Alcohol by Weight 8.8%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Type Use
0.25 lb Crystal 10L Grain Steeped
3.00 lb Light malt extract Extract

Quantity Hop Type Time
0.10 oz Magnum Pellet 55 minutes
0.10 oz Magnum Pellet 50 minutes
0.10 oz Magnum Pellet 45 minutes
0.10 oz Northern Brewer Pellet 40 minutes
0.10 oz Northern Brewer Pellet 35 minutes
0.10 oz Northern Brewer Pellet 30 minutes
0.10 oz Saaz Pellet 25 minutes
0.10 oz Saaz Pellet 20 minutes
0.10 oz Saaz Pellet 15 minutes
0.10 oz Saaz Pellet 10 minutes
0.25 oz Kent Golding Pellet 5 minutes
0.50 oz Kent Golding Pellet 0 minutes

Quantity Misc Notes
1.00 unit Irish Moss Fining 1/8 tsp
1.00 unit Fermaid K Other 1 gram
1.00 unit White Labs WLP0007 Cultured High Gravity Yeast

I already have two projects cellared at my brother's house.
Blackbeard's Folly RIS, Utopian Medley (King's Nectar).
I plan to cellar these projects at least 6 up to 8 months.
I get about 9 or 10 bottles per 1 gallon batch.
November/December look to be a couple good months.

Whale

Hey Whale - what did you start your boil volume at on this one?

I bet you could still have a nice head even at that high of an ABV. Trick to it that I found out is LOTS of specialty grains. They really help give the beer body and great head retention. I wouldnt use too much primer in it like you said though. I think 1.6-1.8 vol of CO2 would be perfect for it to give it a nice creamy mouthfeel and tight bubbles.

Alot of Belgians are high alcohol 10%+ and have insane good head retention. I'm not much for the Belgians but I'm just saying lol. Also, loads of hops help with the foam.

And dpip, holy cow man! That beer looks amazing! Good work!

Brew City,

After steep and rinse I had about 3 quarts. A little over a pint evaporated away in the boil.

Good luck with your experiments!

Whale

I found that with a MB size batch, I do a 3 gallon boil for 2.13 gallons of wort. That gives me a full wort boil and I nailed it dead on the 8.5 quart mark 2 times in a row. Works great and you get every bit of hop goodness when you boil the whole wort.

I was only brewing a gallon on this one Doug, and I started fermentation with 3 quarts so it would not bubble out any of my beer. Too valuable on this batch to lose a drop.

Thanks, Whale! I'll get some good stuff going. I did a practice run with some leftover ingredients yesterday. Wish I had started with more water. It should be an interesting result.

bigd wrote:

I found that with a MB size batch, I do a 3 gallon boil for 2.13 gallons of wort. That gives me a full wort boil and I nailed it dead on the 8.5 quart mark 2 times in a row. Works great and you get every bit of hop goodness when you boil the whole wort.

Bigd - that's great information, too. I've often wondered what it would take to do that. I've been amazed at how much is lost in the boil, and then by adding water to top off how much of the hop effectiveness is lost. Thanks!

That is what works. I am moving more and more into 5 gal batches so I use the MR B to cook up my ideas. I brought home a 4 gal jam bucket from work. Made that into a primary fermenter. My "DeuS" experiment did not go quite right so I brewed up a weak wort (1 gal) with 2 oz of Chinook hops to balance out the sweetness. This is the last fermentation before the long settling and conditioning period.

The 5 gal of Shorty's IPA goes well

Whale,

Yeah I know you were doing a 1 gallon batch lol. I was just telling how I do the MB size batch (2.13 gallon)

Yeah you definately lose alot in the boil. I tried 2.5 gallons of water before and had to add a half gallon of water to top it off. So, I tried 3 gallons and BOOYA, worked perfect. It worked for my past two batches.