Mr.Beer Community

So I was looking at MB's recipe section for the Nut Brown, but nothing really hitting me. Anyone got anything good for the Nut Brown brew? i was thinking about doing a bacon beer with it but don't know how it would work....any thoughts?
:cheers:

Here's the recipe for my Trilby Dark Brown Ale. It's still not completely where I want it, but it's pretty good. You're welcome to try it and let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions on improving it, I'd love to know them.

One Can Nut-Brown Ale
One Can Creamy Brown UME
½ Packet Booster
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
½ oz Fuggle Pellet Hops boiled 35 - 40 minutes
½ oz Fuggle Pellet Hops boiled 15 minutes
One packet yeast included with HME

½ Cup Light Brown Sugar dissolved in 1 Cup water to be added 3 – 5 days into ferment

(NOTE: Batch prime with 7 tablespoons brown sugar)

I don't know about bacon in beer??? Here is a recipe for you. Will lend a light smoke flavor (kinda like bacon). The smoked malt is 35% of the grain bill which for a pronounced smoke flavor it should be between 30-60%. So it is on the lighter end of a smoked beer. One could adjust if they wanted to.

Ole Smokey

Batch Size 4.8 gallons (2 Mr. Beer Kegs filled to Q)

Wyeast British Ale II (split one pack)

Grains & Extracts:
8 oz Briess Smoked Malt
8 oz Briess 2 Row Caramel 80
8 oz Biscuit Malt
4 oz Crisp Chocolate Malt
6 lb Amber LME
1 lb Amber DME

Hops:
1 oz Chinook 60 min
1 oz Willamette 40 min
1 0z Willamette 15 min

Steep grains for 30 min between 150 & 170. Then sparge your grains with 170 degree water very slowly. A mash tun comes in handy here. Just get all the goodness. The less plain ole water in the recipe, the better. After the steep proceed with the 60 min boil. :chug:

I did
1 can English Nutbrown HME
1 can Mellow Amber UME
8 oz pure maple syrup.

Was an excellent brew and one that I want to do again.

I meant to tell you that for a mr. beer recipe you could add the smoked malt to the HME and UME as well. I would use the wyeast British Ale II as I stated before. :)

I don't know about bacon in beer??? Here is a recipe for you. Will lend a light smoke flavor (kinda like bacon).

Yeah i know it sounds weird but I was at a Borders bookstore last night looking at a homebrew mag and it was all about "breakfast beers" They had a recipe for Frankinberry beer, Coco Puffs beer, and bacon beer. They said to bake 6-7 peices of bacon add it to a muslin bag then add to the wort....sound VERY interesting and something I would LOVE to do!

Anyways thanks for your other recipes guys, now i have choices on what I can do!

:cheers:

I would be afraid of the fat. I have had a problem with residual fat globs in the beer. Try it and keep us posted. :)

I would be afraid of the fat. I have had a problem with residual fat globs in the beer. Try it and keep us posted.

They mentioned to pat the bacon as dry as you can so that wouldn't happen. I will definetly let you know how it turns out, probably do it ASAP.

What do you think would be better to brew it...a lighter or a darker brew?

I have to say that I loved using this HME with just a can of Mellow Amber UME to the point where I re-order it. The only thing I'm doing differently this time is using a different yeast to see if I can taste a difference.

The Safale S-04 looks to be a prime candidate but I'm open to suggestions as well. I've decided that I like malty over hoppy and this was one smooth beer.

Here's a link to a thread for a bacon stout in Mrbeerfans.com.http://www.mrbeerfans.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=165781&page=1

I noticed the thread a couple of months ago but didn't really read it through. You might find some info there for you.

Good luck with it. :gulp:

One of my favorite standbys:

1 can Englishman's Nut Brown Ale
1 can Mellow Amber Extract
1/2 pouch of booster

10 days in the keg
10 days carbonating
1 day minimum in fridge (depends on my patients) :)

Nothing fancy but it is smooth...

I just had my trub bottle tonite of the Basic Brown (standard nut brown plus Liberty hops.) Not real impressed. Kinda thin and cidery. Hopefully the other bottles will be better with age.

just leave those bottles at room temp for another month... it should be better by then...heavey on the "better" part.. and some of the "should".. ok, I'll shut up now.

OK so I was thinking about doing a Pecan Sticky Bun Nut Brown. Maybe (don't know if they make it) pecan extract or maybe using actual pecans (has anyone ever added any nuts to their brews....if so do you just crush them and steep or something a little more?)then I was thinking about using either maple syrup or light brown sugar (what do you guys think I should use?) and a cinnamon stick.
Hows that sound? Please let me know what you think on what I should and shouldn't do and use.
:chug:

yankeedag wrote:

just leave those bottles at room temp for another month... it should be better by then...heavey on the "better" part.. and some of the "should".. ok, I'll shut up now.

The bad news is they've already been at room temp 4 weeks. The good news is it was the trub bottle. Nowhere to go but up from there.

FedoraDave wrote:

Here's the recipe for my Trilby Dark Brown Ale.

How long do you let this condition? I found that the 1 of the UME 1 of the HME +1 cup of honey didn't start becoming good until 4 weeks conditioning. Right now, we are at 6 weeks and the brew is becoming better. Next time, if I add honey, I will wait 2 months before cracking open.

did that produce any oils on the top? I'm still trying to figure out if that's something I'd EVER want to make. not knocking it, just not convenced that I'd go there....

No oils that I can see...I trimmed all the fat I could to reduce the oil so I hope that works.

Yeah its going to be different...it could be the best thing ever or it could taste like hell...time will tell :)

So I bottled my Bacon Stout today and all I can say is WOW! I took a little pull of it and its bacon in a bottle. If your looking for something different to brew this is it. I will post more when I crack one of these bad boys open.

:chug:

How did I miss this? Im excited someone had the balls to do this. I cant wait to see your taste test results in a few weeks.

Ya, I'm really interested in this. I've been following that thread in MB fans.com and yours. I'd like to make something like this. Been waiting for results so I know which way I want to go. Sounds like you might have the winner. Strange thing about what I thought looking at yours, I love bacon, but not a fan of bacon bits.

How did I miss this? Im excited someone had the balls to do this. I cant wait to see your taste test results in a few weeks.

I dont think its so much balls, its for the love of bacon and I guess ill be the guinea pig for this....if I can make bacon beer that is good and I can share it with you guys that will make me very happy.

I would say this has potential. I had cocktail in New Orleans last year whose main ingredients were moonshine and bacon bourbon, and it was really good. Bacon flavor was good, but not overpowering. Hope this one turns out well for you.

It just sounds soo... I don't know....

Just got my disposal license in da mail. Best just send it to me for appropriate actions... LOL

Me likey bacon on anything. It has to be good. MMMMMMMMMM If I could only get the wifey to wear bacon for dinner...... MMMMMM

Frozen...got some bad news for you. That disposal license you just got in the mail... it's bogus.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

What is the exact recipe that you used? I only have 1 beer on deck after my double brown leaves the keg, and this sounds like something I might want to try. Any update on the taste?

I plan on cracking one open tomorrow or Wednesday...will let you know how it turns out :gulp:

As for the recipe...I just used the St Pattys Day Stout, 10 strips of bacon (trimmed of fat and cooked for 15 mins) added to wort before pitching yeast, 2 tbs of real bacon bits (Hormel I think) and "dry hopped" it a week into fermenting.

Ok so I cracked open one of my War Pigs Bacon Stout...and all I can say is HOLY S***!!! Its one of my favs that I brewed.

The smell when I poured it into my glass was of bacony goodness

The taste BLEW ME AWAY! Bacon up front right away, subtle but you know its bacon...tasty. Then it mellows out right away to a nice stout flavor....even the wife dug it.

This is going to be my staple (house) beer and going to brew this as a 5 gal batch.

I think Im going to have some eggs and bacon stout for breakfast tomorrow morning :)

Here you go Raptor:
As for the recipe...I just used the St Pattys Day Stout, 10 strips of bacon (trimmed of fat and cooked for 15 mins) added to wort before pitching yeast, 2 tbs of real bacon bits (Hormel I think) and "dry hopped" it a week into fermenting.