Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dpip75

Cheapest Mash tun ever!

I can across that site when researching how to build a MT. I didn't go with that system, but from what I hear it works great. I opted for the bigger rectangle cooler with the cpvc manifold and 'rain' setup. Took me about an hour to put together. Haven't tried it yet, but will next week :)

So I been reading this and other stuff concerning the mash tun and making one... my question is...
How do you decide what size cooler you need for a MrB size batch.. and a 4 1/2 gallon size batch... ?
thanks!

Darkly wrote:

So I been reading this and other stuff concerning the mash tun and making one... my question is...
How do you decide what size cooler you need for a MrB size batch.. and a 4 1/2 gallon size batch... ?
thanks!

I think any cooler good enough for a 5 gallon batch will work for a Mr. Beer size batch. I was supposed to get a 48 quart cooler, but i went with the 5 gallon water cooler. If I can't use it for a five gallon batch then I will get a bigger cooler.

I now have disassembled my mash tun. I am re-thinking this whole idea. I want to make a slotted copper manifold, and use brass ball joints. I will have to soak the brass in 2 parts vinegar and 1 part h2o2 to remove the led from the surface. This design will be more sturdy and easier to clean. The first design was a hasty decision because of time (the wife). I feel there were too many nooks and crannies with the different size tubbing and clamps. UGH!! Anyway bout to head back to lowes with my son when he wakes up. Wake up! :laugh:

Okay, so I detailed my equipment in this post, and am just wondering why I should go with something more complex. Now, I can answer that question with some thoughts...just want to know if the thoughts anyone else would have would be the same as mine. So, given that the bag acts as my filter, and dunk sparging seems to work fine...why should I modify it? Thanx.

David

dpip75 wrote:

I now have disassembled my mash tun. I am re-thinking this whole idea. I want to make a slotted copper manifold, and use brass ball joints. I will have to soak the brass in 2 parts vinegar and 1 part h2o2 to remove the led from the surface. This design will be more sturdy and easier to clean. The first design was a hasty decision because of time (the wife). I feel there were too many nooks and crannies with the different size tubbing and clamps. UGH!! Anyway bout to head back to lowes with my son when he wakes up. Wake up! :laugh:

Go with CPVC instead of copper. You can build the same style manifold, but its much cheaper :)

SiriusDG wrote:

Okay, so I detailed my equipment in this post, and am just wondering why I should go with something more complex. Now, I can answer that question with some thoughts...just want to know if the thoughts anyone else would have would be the same as mine. So, given that the bag acts as my filter, and dunk sparging seems to work fine...why should I modify it? Thanx.

David

SiriusDG, that link went to beer tools, by the way I love that sight. :) I remember that post. It inspired me to partial mash. My thought was that there might be more work involved with your method. There is nothing wrong with that and I may be wrong. :unsure: I just want to go with this method for some reason.

Kedogn, I will definately look into that. Thanks! :)

SiriusDG wrote:

David

David, your link takes us to beertools.com recipes. Is that where you intended it to go?

So I went to Lowes and bought some cpvc pipe, cpvc ball valve and re- built my mash tun. Here are some pictures. I think you can scroll left and right. Like my brewing stand? :laugh: Anyway the flow rate with just water from the sparge bucket to the tun with a colander on the top top disperse the water evenly, to the boil pot is easy to maintain. I can't wait to give this a run! :)

Mash_tun_1.jpgfalse_bottom.jpgBrew_stand_LOL.jpg

I fixed my link, sorry, long hard few days.

There are definitely so spots where mine is a bit cumbersome, and I may look to make some mods to deal with that...on the other hand, it works quite well and was cheap and simple.

David

So, how much did this cost? I'm looking to make a better mash tun.

Tindel wrote:

The one i built cost me about $45. $26 of that was for the 60qt cooler, the rest on parts for the drain as well as the manifold and sparge 'rain' system.

Tindel wrote:

Well considering the 5 gallon water cooler was $23.00, but it was free, and the parts were around ten bucks. So if I would have been charged for the cooler I would say 10 to 15 bucks. I think I will put a pipe in the middle of my manifold for more drainage. as you can see the void in the middle of the square. Parts_2.jpgball_valve.jpg