Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
coulter

Newbie questions...

Hey expert brewers, this will be my second batch and I have some beginner questions for you. Is there any way to bottle your beer without all the sugar clumping at the bottom and sediment floating around. Also, I just bottled the "Honey Maibock" and after two weeks it is still pretty flat, could I have missed a step somewhere or done something wrong? I'm planning on let it sit another couple of weeks.

Thanks for all your help!!

What temp did you carb at? How much sugar did you prime with? PET or glass bottles?

It was carbed at 72-73 degrees in PET bottles. Honestly I can't remember how much sugar I put in but I want to say it was 1 tsp. Too little?

Thanks

Ouch. So is it too late to add the rest of the sugar or should I just chalk this up as a lesson learned?

YES! RE-PRIME AND BE STERILE! I have had the same thing happen to me. I primed again. It seems to have worked a little bit on some of them. One was still flat and another was slightly carbed. I Fd up and let cold crash for longer than a week. That may be the problem with mine. I didn't forget to prime the first time because now the beer is super sweet. I am not throwing it out. I am just giving them time, and checking the progress, or lack of. :laugh: Brew on! :chug:

I read somewhere that adding sugar now can cause your beer to volcano out of the bottle, can't say for sure, try one , see what happens. You can always mix it 1/2 and 1/2 in a glass with commercial brew to make it drinkable. I hate to see good beer go to waste. :drinking:

I had some carb drops and they did not volcano, but on the other hand the priming sugar did volcano. Lets just say I had to be quick one bottle at a time. Results are yet to be determined. :unsure:

Hmmm, well I better try one first and make sure they don't volcano then go from there. Good idea about mixing half and half. I definitely wouldn't have thought about that. You mentioned carb drops. How do those work and is that better then putting in the sugar?

coulter wrote:

Is there any way to bottle your beer without all the sugar clumping at the bottom and sediment floating around.

I didn't see anyone address this comment. If I'm reading your question correctly... the stuff clumped to the bottom is sediment, not sugar. The dead yeasties and the like. You don't want to mix that back in. Generally you should let it remained clumped and pour off the beer into a glass, leaving as much of that stuff behind in the bottle.

You can reduce the amount of sediment in your bottles by batch priming (search the forum for some good threads).

coulter wrote:

Hmmm, well I better try one first and make sure they don't volcano then go from there. Good idea about mixing half and half. I definitely wouldn't have thought about that. You mentioned carb drops. How do those work and is that better then putting in the sugar?

carb drops are straight, but batch priming gives you less trub in the bottles. Plus I like to use Local all natural unfiltered honey to batch prime. Here is a picture of a honey primed beer.

Apophis_american_brown_ale-20100511-2.jp

shawn, that link was a blast from the past. Almost thought ol' Hopheadbrewski was back. We never did hear if Eric went to Korea and gave out those cement shoes.... :stout:

yankeedag wrote:

shawn, that link was a blast from the past. Almost thought ol' Hopheadbrewski was back. We never did hear if Eric went to Korea and gave out those cement shoes.... :stout:

Wow! You ain't kiddin'!
Some other guys there who haven't been around since last year...mcgrewc, reeb...
Kinda makes you wonder a little...
Did they give up? Did they move on to all-grain exclusively? Did they enter witness protection?
I know some were turned off by a certain troll who I shall not mention.

Stories you will probably never hear the end of.

We never did hear if Eric went to Korea and gave out those cement shoes...

Exactly. I was in Jersey visiting family. I've got a dozen witnesses.

Shawn, that link was dead on! That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.